mtbr member
    Feb 2008

SRAM XX on a Maverick?

Hi All,
    I've owned a Maverick Matic for 2 years and I just recently discovered this forum. Looks like a great place to bounce ideas around.
    I probably don't fit the usual profile of a Maverick customer; I race cross country, usually 2 hour races or shorter. Many of my competators still run hardtails or short travel full-suspension bikes. I've always liked the extra travel you get with a more "all mountain" design. I'm a lousy downhiller so the extra suspension really helps my confidence. So while I was attracted to the simplicity and effeciency characteristics of the Maverick design, I'm not crazy about the weight penalty. Mind you, I'm no weight weenie, but within reason, I'll opt for lighter weight over super durability. I don't do ledge drops and crazy stuff like that.
    With all this in mind, anyone have experience with the new SRAM XX components on a Maverick? The simplicity of the double intrigues me. I'm assuming the XX front derailleur is out, I have the stock Shimano FD-773 10 speed triple now. What about the cranks? I think I remember reading somewhere that these bikes are optimized for Shimano cranks. Any input would be appreciated. I look forward to learning more through this forum.
    Conrad

mtbr member

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Very doable! Thre are a few things that need to be done to acccomodate the XX:
    - D-mount needs to be machined to allow the front R773 to sit lower, with the 42 or 39T.
    - The BB shell needs to be machined to get proper clearance for the 73mm Giga Pipe BB.
    - Maverick can either sell a new ready to go system, or send in you parts and we can machine those.

No ride report yet, but seems to work very nice, Sram has stepped up thier game! Chain line is good, not great, as it would be on any frame. I've made the chain line as best as possible to accomodate the big/big combo. The 10sp chain is very supple and helps this gear combo. Front shifting is aawesome, crisp and clean and FAST!

This 2010 Durance is 25.5lb (w/959 pedals) and heavy Nevegal tubeless tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM XX on a Maverick?-013.jpg  

SRAM XX on a Maverick?-014.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi, I don't have experience with the Sram XX but I did convert my Matic to a 2x9 by removing the big ring and adjusting the derailleur. I don't miss the extra gears but I also don't race X-C. My bike actually gained weight since I replaced the big ring with a bash guard that is heavier than the chain ring. The rings don't weigh very much.

mtbr member

Add'l info

Making a regular crank set that you might have or be using into a 2X9 will give a much better chain line than the XX system. It seems that they (sram) needed to make sure the 42T ring would clear all frames at the chain stay area. This basically makes the system the same as a standard crank just minus the little ring, hence just the "OK" chainline on the XX.
    Using a standard crank and changing the rings to get the gearing you want works really well. Keeps the rings inboard, use a bash guard if you want, and the chain line is great...
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com