mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Speedball R diagnosis

Just wonder what to look for: seems like a top out sort of block has gone MIA. The post returns to normal/full extension and stops, but once there I can still raise the post by lifting on the seat. Haven't tried to see how far and have ridden twice without problem while I find the time for it.

I've overhauled before, following Ethan's 28-step plan (2x)! Possible contributing factor was that the second time I got it back together and running buttahry, but wasn't getting full compression travel. Figured I had too much oil and removed some too carefully and wasn't enough, but at that point I just left it. Been riding on it that way for 8 mos, without issue.

So, what should I be looking as the source of the problem?

FWIW, I went 3 yrs till first service -- I've got no problem with build or durability.

Thanks

T.W.O.
    Cool, it seems like everyone who has the problem with the Maverick seatpost do not own one. It just easy to take the rumor and spin with it. I have 4 Speedball/ Joplin only one had to be send in it's was not 100% and Ethan just took care of it.

I've never had that problem before so I'm subscribing the thread hoping to learn something. OK, one thing I know from my KS post is right before my post failed while I'm sitting on the saddle fully extended I can feel some clicking and it almost feel like I can still move up another cm or so, shortly after that the post failed. It would raised and lower but would not stay when I sit on it.

mtbr member
    Hmmm! I wonder if it is the top out o-ring that just helps deaden the top out. that o-ring tends to get squeezed off over time and might get herself wedged in somewhere! Not to many places for it to go, but will allow the post to come up higher than normal, but with not enough oil to accommodate it. Could be that, or a cache of other things! Worn guide block, worn glide rings, worn inner tube (anodization goes away if not greased/cleaned...), broken guide block screws... the list goes on! You know where to find me-
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks, Ethan! Will post up after I find the time to get in there. May be awhile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Look into CB's upgrade deal

I had a Speedball lever version for 4 or 5 years, on a bike with a super slack seat tube angle, while I was seriously overweight; even under these less than ideal conditions, the post held up great. As anyone who runs one knows, you use them constantly once you're used to it, and mine saw embarrassingly little in the way of upkeep.

This past year the deferred maintenance finally caught up and it started sticking badly, both up and down. And as the OP says it seemed like it would overextend it I lifted the bike by the seat when it was in the topped out position. I could not see anything obviously missing or broken when I took it apart but the innards were whooped, so I called Crank Bros and did the Joplin 4 upgrade.

The new post is a huge improvement, not so much for the extra travel, but the dual guide blocks. You don't notice how much side-to-side play you've ignored with the 'ball until it's gone.

That's my .02 - good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Actually no concerns with the side-to-side. Used to have a Rock Shox post on my hardtail and that had about the same play. Never notice it while riding...

Still looking for time to overhaul.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric.
    so I called Crank Bros and did the Joplin 4 upgrade.

The new post is a huge improvement, not so much for the extra travel, but the dual guide blocks. You don't notice how much side-to-side play you've ignored with the 'ball until it's gone.

That's my .02 - good luck!
    What is this upgrade? Is it new internals within the speedball tube? A friend and I have ailing speedballs (?!!) so would be good to know we can resolve it.

Take Chances
    Do tell?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This isn't the slow return issue, is it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I emailed CB and they have said that if you send them your old Speedball and $125 they'll send you back a brand new Joplin 4 which seems like a pretty good deal.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by hughjayteens
    I emailed CB and they have said that if you send them your old Speedball and $125 they'll send you back a brand new Joplin 4 which seems like a pretty good deal.
    It's a great deal if you get the first one for free and only pay for the up grade. I considered that before I bought the last post as they are a short drive from me but I added the initial $200 investment on the first post suddenly it does not look like a good deal anymore. Plus the worse fear is once they can get rid off all j4 they may offer newer and better one. I bought KS instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I guess so - I bought mine used and have had it fro a couple of years so it doesn't really have any value as such. However, I'm in the UK and don't think the UK distro does this deal and shipping to and from the US cancels out any potential value to me sadly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't know if it will help your issue, but have you done this mod? - Speedball / Joplin Fixes