mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Spam: W.T.B. quick release seat collar and headset for Maverick ML7

Here is the Add on the classifieds even if does not say anything..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Or can somebody steer me in the right direction if I need to buy a new headset, I know is a "campy 45" but is about it..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The quote from the Maverick Frame Manual below is a little misleading. It says "internal headset" but if you read FSA's or Cane Creek's description they usually say "integrated headset" (I believe "internal" refers to headsets where the bearing cups are actually pressed into the headtube, and "integrated" means the cups are machined as part of the headtube, ala Mavericks).

From the Maverick Frame Manual
    HEADSET:
    Maverick frames are designed for and can ONLY use an internal headset
    with a 42.0 mm Campagnolo standard bearing.These are available from
    FSA Components and Cane Creek.

FSA Orbit CE Campagnolo Integrated Headsets can be found just about anywhere on-line.

For the seat collar, make sure you know what size seatpost you are running. Older ML7s were 31.6mm, later models were 30.9mm. I would contact Ethan to see if he has any Maverick seat collars available, otherwise you'll have to go aftermarket unless someone has a spare they will part with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by g_henrys View Post
    The quote from the Maverick Frame Manual below is a little misleading. It says "internal headset" but if you read FSA's or Cane Creek's description they usually say "integrated headset" (I believe "internal" refers to headsets where the bearing cups are actually pressed into the headtube, and "integrated" means the cups are machined as part of the headtube, ala Mavericks).

From the Maverick Frame Manual
    HEADSET:
    Maverick frames are designed for and can ONLY use an internal headset
    with a 42.0 mm Campagnolo standard bearing.These are available from
    FSA Components and Cane Creek.

FSA Orbit CE Campagnolo Integrated Headsets can be found just about anywhere on-line.
    Thanks order the headset...

For the seat collar, make sure you know what size seatpost you are running. Older ML7s were 31.6mm, later models were 30.9mm. I would contact Ethan to see if he has any Maverick seat collars available, otherwise you'll have to go aftermarket unless someone has a spare they will part with.
    I think the frame is a older one, how can you tell just from pictures, (It will arrive next week)
    Spam: W.T.B. quick release seat collar and headset for Maverick ML7-p4pb10163857-l.jpg

Is the seat post collar 34.9mm..?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That does look like an older frame, I always preferred that logo on the decals (but to each their own). It also looks like it comes with the updated monolink, which is a good thing, but I don't think the pictured front derailleur is a good match. The Maverick D-Mount and Shimano R773 is the way to go over the E-Type, IMO. I upgraded my 2001 ML7 to the new monolink, D-Mount and R773 (Ethan set me up with everything) last year and it has made a HUGE difference.

When you get the frame check the headbadge for the date, it should be engraved there along with the frame's name. If it is 2002 or earlier then the seatpost is (probably) 31.6mm. After that 30.9mm. I am not sure what the collar diameter is, perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That does look like an older frame, I always preferred that logo on the decals (but to each their own). It also looks like it comes with the updated monolink, which is a good thing, but I don't think the pictured front derailleur is a good match. The Maverick D-Mount and Shimano R773 is the way to go over the E-Type, IMO. I upgraded my 2001 ML7 to the new monolink, D-Mount and R773 (Ethan set me up with everything) last year and it has made a HUGE difference.

When you get the frame check the headbadge for the date, it should be engraved there along with the frame's name. If it is 2002 or earlier then the seatpost is (probably) 31.6mm. After that 30.9mm. I am not sure what the collar diameter is, perhaps someone else can chime in on that.
    thanks for sharing, the Monolink I think is aluminum, better than the magnesium part or not..!?

Do I have sufficient space for a 970 BB with the derailleur mounted to the 73mm BB...??
    Spam: W.T.B. quick release seat collar and headset for Maverick ML7-p4pb10163858-m.jpg

Another question what does it make a "Update" shock..? better internals, external adjusters..!?

For now I will need to deal with the direct mount front D, until I gather more cash..

The frame is coming at the end of the week, be sure I will post pictures when I get it..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    thanks for sharing, the Monolink I think is aluminum, better than the magnesium part or not..!?

Yes, much better than the magnesium Monolink. The new version moves the bottom bracket forward and up, which results in a much more active (and smooth!) suspension action and greatly improved front derailleur position for better shifting. I am not sure if you will experience the same shifting performance using the E-type derailleur.

Do I have sufficient space for a 970 BB with the derailleur mounted to the 73mm BB...??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb10163858-M.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	838839
    Yes, the E-type front derailluer (and D-Mount for that matter) both have a 5mm width, which is the same as a single bottom bracket spacer which is required to keep proper spacing. If you were to go with a single ring set-up you would have to add a spacer to replace your E-type FD to keep the spacing consistent.

Another question what does it make a "Update" shock..? better internals, external adjusters..!?
    That refers to the model you have. The original ML7 came with an air-assisted coil shock made by Fox, called the ML7.0 shock. I am still running that one on my bike (I think I have a picture in the "Post Your Maverick" thread). The "updated" shock is the ML7.2 that you will have which is an air spring. I've heard it has a more plush feel and better action than the ML7.0. I would recommend you send it to Ethan for an overhaul and custom tune when you have the chance (and money).

For now I will need to deal with the direct mount front D, until I gather more cash..
    Get the D-Mount and R773 when you can. Keep an eye out on eBay and this forum because they come up for sale every once in awhile.

The frame is coming at the end of the week, be sure I will post pictures when I get it..
    Excellent! Enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes, much better than the magnesium Monolink. The new version moves the bottom bracket forward and up, which results in a much more active (and smooth!) suspension action and greatly improved front derailleur position for better shifting. I am not sure if you will experience the same shifting performance using the E-type derailleur.
    So is mine the "Better" version or do I need to look for one with the "Mast" (to mount the front D)...??

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So is mine the "Better" version or do I need to look for one with the "Mast" (to mount the front D)...??
    You have the updated Monolink. I do believe the E-type front derailleur pictured will work with it, the outboard bottom bracket bearing will hold it in place in addition to the fixing bolt up top. What I am saying is that the D-Mount (aka "Mast") puts the other type of front derailleur (Shimano R773 is the best) in a different position relative to your chainrings for improved shifting.

You'll know after you build her up. If the front shifting is a little finicky then you'll want to upgrade to the D-Mount and R773 sooner than later. If the shifting is fine then think about having Ethan service and tune that shock for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You have the updated Monolink. I do believe the E-type front derailleur pictured will work with it, the outboard bottom bracket bearing will hold it in place in addition to the fixing bolt up top. What I am saying is that the D-Mount (aka "Mast") puts the other type of front derailleur (Shimano R773 is the best) in a different position relative to your chainrings for improved shifting.

You'll know after you build her up. If the front shifting is a little finicky then you'll want to upgrade to the D-Mount and R773 sooner than later. If the shifting is fine then think about having Ethan service and tune that shock for you.
    You guys are so helpful...

Sorry for my Ingles, what I was trying to ask is if my monolink has the updated bottom bracket location, or do I need the one with the "mast" to gain that..

Hopefully I can deal with funky shifting issues..

Ps: My wife used to have a ML7 with the "mast" monolink and I never had problems tuning her shifting, kind of a shame we don't have that bike anymore..

Actually looking at the pictures of my wife's old bike, I see the "Mast" (in this case at least) is a "Add-on" piece and not part of the monolink, can I just get the little part from Ethan..? what I can hopefully afford and justified.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ah, yo comprendo.

Yes, your Monolink has the improved bottom bracket location. The picture above is the Maverick D-Mount and Shimano R773 front derailleur. I got both from Ethan for about $100USD ($25 D-Mount, $75 R773), that was a year ago and I am not sure if his prices would be the same. And that set up is definitely better shifting compared to the E-type front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ah, yo comprendo.

Yes, your Monolink has the improved bottom bracket location. The picture above is the Maverick D-Mount and Shimano R773 front derailleur. I got both from Ethan for about $100USD ($25 D-Mount, $75 R773), that was a year ago and I am not sure if his prices would be the same. And that set up is definitely better shifting compared to the E-type front derailleur.

Gracias I already send a email to Ethan hopefully he will have the parts I need..

Okay I found two of them for cheap at Chain reaction but I'm not totally sure if I need the "50T" or I can get away with the "52T" that is much cheaper, any advice..

Also I'm going to run 9speeds, any better choices for 9s..?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Will this 9speed Ultegra FD-6703 work...??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ethan is such a helpful guy I really like to support him, I got the mast & Ultegra D coming..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Gracias I already send a email to Ethan hopefully he will have the parts I need..

Okay I found two of them for cheap at Chain reaction but I'm not totally sure if I need the "50T" or I can get away with the "52T" that is much cheaper, any advice..

Also I'm going to run 9speeds, any better choices for 9s..?
    Make sure you order the "braze on" version. I think mine is the 52T size and it works perfectly. Probably check with Ethan to find out for sure if it makes any difference between the 50T and 52T, he is always more than happy to answer any Maverick related questions. I paid $25 for mine so that is right in the ball park.

I am also running 9 speed, XTR 970 cassette 11-32, with no issue at all. I think the slightly narrower 10 speed cage of the R773 helps the front shifting move a little quicker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Make sure you order the "braze on" version. I think mine is the 52T size and it works perfectly. Probably check with Ethan to find out for sure if it makes any difference between the 50T and 52T, he is always more than happy to answer any Maverick related questions. I paid $25 for mine so that is right in the ball park.

I am also running 9 speed, XTR 970 cassette 11-32, with no issue at all. I think the slightly narrower 10 speed cage of the R773 helps the front shifting move a little quicker.

With Ethan I just close my eyes and pay, yes he is a little more expensive than then internet stores, but hell we want to have him around..

I'm sure he will send me the right stuff, Oh he has stickers for the frame too and they are coming soon..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Will this 9speed Ultegra FD-6703 work...??
    yes, BUT..... the cable pull of the Ultegra and Dura Ace braze-on derialleurs is different than the R773's cable pull (the R773 is designed for "flat bar" road bikes) so you have to get another little part called the "D-Daptor" that mounts where the cable attaches to fix that. Avoid the hassle, save some money, and go with the R773.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yes, BUT..... the cable pull of the Ultegra and Dura Ace braze-on derialleurs is different than the R773's cable pull (the R773 is designed for "flat bar" road bikes) so you have to get another little part called the "D-Daptor" that mounts where the cable attaches to fix that. Avoid the hassle, save some money, and go with the R773.
    Thanks it does not matter anymore, I'm sure Ethan has my cover, for a second I was trying to stay under budget, but it really does not matter that much..

I just hope I really like this new frame.

mtbr member
    Is Maverick a dead company? the website is up but they show 2011 model bikes. So sad...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Is Maverick a dead company? the website is up but they show 2011 model bikes. So sad...
    Yes sadly they are gone, such a great design, Ethan has some frames available (new old stock) but that is about it..

mtbr member
    It would be cool if someone bought them and started making them again. You need major marketing money to compete with the big boys these days, especially with a non-conventional design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    is this ** FSA Orbit CE Campagnolo Integrated Headset 1/18 item 143157 ** | eBay headset right for maverick (ml7/5, ml8)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by clovek View Post
    is this ** FSA Orbit CE Campagnolo Integrated Headset 1/18 item 143157 ** | eBay headset right for maverick (ml7/5, ml8)?
    Yeah thanks that is exactly what i got...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yes, that's the one!