Thread: size advice?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

size advice?

Hi There Guys,
    I was wondering if anyone has an idea os what size person a medium 2003 Maverick ML7 is made for? Would one fit my wife who is 5'6" or 5'7" with a longer torso, but shorter legs for a chick? Or would that be too big for her?

Thanks,
    Abe

Schipperkes are cool.
    Should be fine; give it a testride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Banks! I will see if we can set one up. They are in-town locals, but selling online, so hopefully they will let us. I also have one more quesiton if you don't mind.
    The bike has a Duc32 on it, which I love, but I thought I had read before that the ML7 was created around the SC32 & the duc isn't really appropriate for it. Do you happen to know if the Duc is a good match for an ML7, or will it create problems?
    Thansk again!
    Abe

Schipperkes are cool.
    The ML7 & Matic were made with the SC32 in mind but there are a lot of ML7 & Matic rolling with the DUC32 without a negative word.
    If you do not have any time on the ML7 + DUC; go for it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There's only one way to find out for sure, try it out for size!

Though I think at that height, she'll probably want a small. A Medium will probably just about feel OK reach wise with a short-ish stem, but the standover height will be too much for her I suspect, the BB is 14" off the ground and the BB to top of seat clamp measures 19.5" on a Medium sized ML7!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So, I ended up getting my wife a May/05 build size Small ML7 today! Going for her first ride on it in just a few minutes. I was wondering if anyone knows if Maverick sells the upgraded Monolink for this era/model, so that I could put a Hammerschmidt onto it? Also, does anyone happen to know if the Hammerschmidt will work with a SRAM XX rear & chain? That would give her effectively 20 gears & bombproof front shifting.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    Best,
    abe

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
    So, I ended up getting my wife a May/05 build size Small ML7 today! Going for her first ride on it in just a few minutes. I was wondering if anyone knows if Maverick sells the upgraded Monolink for this era/model, so that I could put a Hammerschmidt onto it? Also, does anyone happen to know if the Hammerschmidt will work with a SRAM XX rear & chain? That would give her effectively 20 gears & bombproof front shifting.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    Best,
    abe
    Congrats,
    Yes, Maverick sells the HS link, yes XX would work with HS I called 2 sram guys one said yes one said you didn't hear this from me. The chain size is a mix review some said to go with 10spd, other said 9sped would work. I stayed with my XO so I've never had to deal with that problem.

mtbr member
    i'm running my durance (latest monolink, modified myself) with the AM HS, a 11-36 10sp. cassette and SRAM X.9 10sp. shifter and chain with no issues ...

the move from cheap to expensive (gore ride-on) cabling really helped friction issues re. the cable routing down to the hs - it did work before, but the gore ride-on cable makes shifting much lighter and exact ...

see here for (my) cable routing.

ragetty

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    +1 on gore ride-on

Schipperkes are cool.
    I have used all 3 versions of Gore Ride On cables/housings and am a member of Gore Mountain Techs. That said, the Ride On systems are super spendy, tedious and for 95 % of the riding conditions, do not work better then SP41 housing and a SRAM/Shimano stainless cable. Not to mention that the OEMs specing Ride On systems are not using the full system and the bare cables have the Gore Tex fraying off......

mtbr member
    well, the comment was essentially 'don't use cheap' - i just happened to have splashed out on gore's ride on system and am more than happy with the result ...

ragetty

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey guys,
    New sizing question. Can a 6' 1/2" guy (31-32 " inseam) happily ride a mediu
    Durrance, or is that just too small? Do I absolutly need a large?
    Thanks
    Abe

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Go Big(ger)

I'm only slightly taller with about same inseam. I had a med Durance for about 7 mos -- unintentionally -- and it was way too small. Smacked my knees all of the time and couldn't climb.

I went to an xl and couldn't be happier. Though, had to decide based on geometry and opinion since I couldn't try em out.

You will regret Med. Go bigger and definitely consider an XL with 50 mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I ride a size L. I think you would at least want this, and I agree an XL may be better for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Guys! I guess the medium is a pass no matter what the price. I'll keep looking for a large or XL. Appreciate the expertise.