mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Severed Damper Shaft Nut - Help Please

In preparation for tomorrow's ride I decided I would perform some routine maintenance and change the oil in my damper. I've been in my SC32 at least 50 times experimenting with different weight oils, shim arrangements, damper air pressure, etc... and have never had any problem working on my fork. I have an older model, 2004 or 2005 with the damper shaft nut that does not have an O-ring. Awhile back on a call to Marverick I was told to put a wrap or two of teflon tape around the damper shaft nut before installing. For some reason, tonight I put more than two wraps on and to make a long story short, when I was tightening it back in (torque wrench set at 50 lb/ft) the nut severed in the shaft.

I am sure getting a new damper shaft nut is not a problem, maybe even get one that has an O-ring. My problem is the threaded body of the nut is still inside the top of the damper shaft around the lockout and rebound adjuster shafts. How can I get that out?

I tried using a small awl to back-thread it out but it is stuck in there pretty well. If anyone has run into this situation before I could sure use some advice. I can't stand the thought of my bike being out of commission for something so stupid on my part. Thanks in advance my Maverick brethren.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g_henrys
    In preparation for tomorrow's ride I decided I would perform some routine maintenance and change the oil in my damper. I've been in my SC32 at least 50 times experimenting with different weight oils, shim arrangements, damper air pressure, etc... and have never had any problem working on my fork. I have an older model, 2004 or 2005 with the damper shaft nut that does not have an O-ring. Awhile back on a call to Marverick I was told to put a wrap or two of teflon tape around the damper shaft nut before installing. For some reason, tonight I put more than two wraps on and to make a long story short, when I was tightening it back in (torque wrench set at 50 lb/ft) the nut severed in the shaft.

I am sure getting a new damper shaft nut is not a problem, maybe even get one that has an O-ring. My problem is the threaded body of the nut is still inside the top of the damper shaft around the lockout and rebound adjuster shafts. How can I get that out?

I tried using a small awl to back-thread it out but it is stuck in there pretty well. If anyone has run into this situation before I could sure use some advice. I can't stand the thought of my bike being out of commission for something so stupid on my part. Thanks in advance my Maverick brethren.
    I had the same problem few month ago.
    I removed the threaded part of the nit using a tap http://uscaero77.free.fr/astuces/taraud.jpg diameter 4 or 5, inserted in the nut, its teeth allowed to grip the inside of the nut and unscrew it ... hope I'm clear
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Totally clear, thanks. I just went to the hardward store and picked up a couple of bits that reverse thread into the severed bolt. Once the teeth engage it will (hopefully) back out broken piece still in the shaft. Now to order a new bolt, go home and disassemble the damper shaft, and fix my mess.

Thanks for the advice Alpamayo, this should work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

things happen for a reason....

First off, a big shout out to Alpamayo for the solution. The bolt extractor bit reverse threaded into the severed nut and backed it out quite easily.

To do this I did have to disassemble the entire damper shaft to get to the inside of the nut. After removing the lockout shaft and rebound adjuster shaft I found what looked like a small piece of an O-ring lodged inside. All the O-rings on the parts are in good shape so I am guessing this happened a long time ago, perhaps with the previous owner (bought the fork off of eBay). After a thorough cleaning and reassembly (thanks to Chris at Maverick for getting me the new nut in 2 days) the fork is performing better than it ever has. Turns out, if I hadn't broken that nut I probably wouldn't have ever found the pesky little piece of O-ring. Things happen for a reason.