mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Seating set screws?

Hi there,
    Long story short..... I've replaced the set screws on my shock but they don't look like they're seated correctly. The set screw seals are bulging out a bit and on my first ride I lost all the air in the shock after about 15 mins. The shock appears to hold its air when not in use though. Any tips for installing them correctly??

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There are some threads around here talking about it if you search. They also say never take the screws out so you don't have the problem you are having A bit late for that now.

mtbr member
    if they are not flush with the shock body then they are probably not seating properly on the shock inside, meaning that the lower part of the shock is not extending enough downward.

you can get the o'rings to squidge in properly with grease and careful application of a finger nail or the like. they should vanish out of sight when the screws seat properly.

ragetty

mtbr member
    Put some slick grease on the Oring and tight the screw slooooowly ... it gives time to the oring entering in the thread.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

cyco biker

I hate it when that happens,,,

Sounds like you may need to pull a set screw all the way Out & have a look. Make sure it's plugged into the notch on the base of the shock shaft. Sometimes you gotta wriggle the shock as you are seating it to get that notch all the way in.

The set screw O rings are a pain to keep in place w/out pinching/ shredding. Alpy got it right...SLOW turning with slick honey. If it looks like it's STARTING to bind (Bulge Out of the hole as you tighten it in), use a small flat head screw driver & work it back in as you tighten the set screw.
    Last edited by RTrainer; 04-23-2010 at 05:39 AM.
    My hobby is keeping wood alive

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Cheers all, looks to be sorted.....