Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

SC32 service kits availibility in the UK

anyone know where i can get service parts (Orings and such) now in the UK?

If not i'll call Sideways Cycles on Monday, seems they might be OOS on the parts though as they've taken the page down? should have bought it before but 70! is a lot.

Haven't yet serviced my fork but might attempt an oil change this weekend so i'll see what else needs doing. and try not to ruin anything whilst i'm in there :/

A Surly Maverick
    These are on Ebay UK at present :-

Maverick suspension seal kit for duc32 and sc32 | eBay

Also I can recommend Craig Simpson for UK Maverick servicing.

simpsons@mypostoffice.co.uk

Cheers,
    Dr FG .
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    May 2008
    great, gone for those thanks (only one set!?)
    you're not associated with either shop then?

A Surly Maverick
    No association with either.

Craig serviced, tuned and 29er kitted a Duc32 for me (as a paying customer) and he did a good job, hence my recommendation.

Regarding the service kits, I'm always on the lookout for Mav stuff on Ebay and just came across them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well that's very good of you thank you. seems like Maverick owners are a friendly bunch. shame i don't know many more around me!
    i'm going to wait 'till i'm feeling up to it and go very carefully on the SC32, notes about thin walls have me nervous.
    (even 35 seems quite a lot more mainly Orings, RS reba kits can be had for about 10 from some guy on ebay!).

A Surly Maverick
    You are welcome

They are pretty easy forks to work on and very tunable .

Plus you can run FAT tyres on them if you feel the need .......Project Fat RS:- Klein Clydesdale MMXI Final Reveal.

Same goes for the SC32

It`s All Fine with my Pug :)

Post 15 on.

mtbr member
    Smiff, if ever you don't find what you need in UK, ask to the froggy .. I have many spares in stock to help. ALPA?TECH Maverick Service Center
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    May 2008
    alrighty, there's an extra bolt.. any ideas what this is for?

it has a hole in it.

Alpamayo thanks also, my French isn't so good though

mtbr member
    This is the bolt, Damper Rod, right side.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ok thanks just strange it wasn't in the packet.

also... how on Earth did this cost 70. for some orings and valves.

anyway.. on to the service!

thanks both of you. i'll probably be back when i mess something up.

(I can service Rebas ok, just never done a Mav).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    ok thanks just strange it wasn't in the packet.

also... how on Earth did this cost 70. for some orings and valves.

anyway.. on to the service!

thanks both of you. i'll probably be back when i mess something up.

(I can service Rebas ok, just never done a Mav).
    70 is very expensive, for the same price you could have send it to me, service and shipping back. You don't need to change most of the ORings. As they are not submitted to mechanical frictions, no worries. Open your cartridge very carefully, aluminium alloy is tender and good tools are required. If ever you are facing an issue to open them, send me only the cartridge, light and cheap for shipping. I'll fix your problem and service your duc for cheap
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks, if i can't figure out what's wrong with it (only getting about half travel) i might do that. I may not use the kit either, it's just in case parts are needed.
    thanks.

I bought the fork 2nd hand and no idea what its service history is or if anything inside is broken!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    okay, took the right leg out and my missing travel problem is obvious - the previous owner had put waaay too much oil in the upper leg, causing it to hydrolock. it's supposed to be only 5ml right? i had a huge puddle on the ground, maybe 50ml.

edit: just realised, that may have leaked from the damper?

but, lockdown doesn't seem to working (not exactly sure what it should feel like, but it should stay a bit down I think?) and damping is inconsistent, so i'm going to order a 21mm spanner (seems like i could use a 21mm socket, not sure why everywhere says spanner) and try to do a full service.

first impression is this is a very nice fork to work on, even easier in some ways than a Reba.
    Last edited by Smiff; 01-28-2012 at 04:20 PM.

A Surly Maverick
    Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2008
    rode the Mav today and felt better already without that hard early bottom out. also, the leg didn't fall out which is a bonus.

are there supposed to be two bushes in each fork leg? this looks odd, but maybe it stiffens things up (in a good way?)

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Smiff;8953842]rode the Mav today and felt better already without that hard early bottom out. also, the leg didn't fall out which is a bonus.

are there supposed to be two bushes in each fork leg? this looks odd, but maybe it stiffens things up (in a good way?)[/QUOTE]

Not sure to understand what you mean ?
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

A Surly Maverick
    Smiff, you don't mean these do you ?

MAVERICK - Products

If you do, these are the Maverick 29er kit for reducing travel so you can fit a 29er wheel (or a FAT one ).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    [QUOTE=Alpamayo;8955779]
    rode the Mav today and felt better already without that hard early bottom out. also, the leg didn't fall out which is a bonus.

are there supposed to be two bushes in each fork leg? this looks odd, but maybe it stiffens things up (in a good way?)[/QUOTE]

Not sure to understand what you mean ?
    sorry, i mean I have two bushes at the bottom of each outer. the two bushes are touching after i remove the inner tubes. is this normal? i have a weird noise during compresion and suspect one may be sliding.

also a nasty creak when twisting the fork hard. wasn't there when i got it. any ideas where that might come from please?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    also this might sound retarded but where's the valve on the damper? it says inflate to 60psi but i couldn't seem to find one!

mtbr member
    ... a nasty creak when twisting the fork hard. wasn't there when i got it. any ideas where that might come from please?
    crown and head bolt not sitting properly? qr clamps too loose on the axle?

mtbr member
    why don't you try looking at the service pdf?

remove the damper leg from the fork and then remove the stanchion from the assembly - the valve is at the bottom. make sure you follow the proper procedure for pumpin air into the damper unit (pdf!).

mtbr member
    The right fork leg contains a low-pressure, oil damper cartridge that provides rebound and compression damping, and the ride height climbing mode adjustment feature.

http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_15.pdf

If you remove the lower leg from the upper "H" section some oil will come out (5-10ml of 5wt)(DUC=10ml; SC=5ml). This is only used to lubricate the seal and stanchion tube(lower tube that attaches to the wheel).

Now with the leg out you need to take it apart by clamping the lower leg to the wheel and unthread the upper and lower parts of the leg. The upper part is the damper and it has a Schrader Valve at the bottom. Depressurize the damper. see page 8 in manual above.
    Unscrew the Seal Head using a 21mm wrench. Pull the Rod and Piston and Rod assembly out of the Damper Tube (page 9). Drain oil (95ml) damper tube. Inspect rod assembly/piston for damaged o-rings. At this point for oil replacement only, proceed to to page 11.
    Refiill the empty Damper Tube with 5 to 10wt oil. The amount of oil is determined by the level it is from the top of the empty Damper Tube.The correct level is 63 mm (aprx.95ml) from the top of both the DUC & SC. Reattach the rod assembly/piston and tread on the sealhead.
    Face the Schrader Valve upwards and cycle the cartridge, then pressurize the Damper Cartridge through the Schrader Valve at the bottom to 60 to 85psi. Reattach to lower leg/stanchion tube. Insert complete lower leg partially(remember to include top out bumper) into upper "H" section. Put 5ml of 10 wt oill (lubrication) in the upper "H" section tube (page 12). Fully insert complete lower leg partially into upper "H" section.Thread on the damper bolt (do not overtighten it will break) and reattach the lockout/rebound dial.
    Last edited by voob; 03-25-2012 at 05:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey Voob,

Having just serviced my SC 32 fork, I found that the damper tube takes about 83ml to get the level to 63mm from the top. Maybe it's different with a DUC 32?

mtbr member
    63 mm from top is the correct setting. Use that measurement for the lockout to work. However quantity should be around 95ml (for both forks) according to other posts and Maverick. Use 65 to 85psi of air.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks yeah i've seen the pdf, i bought this fork 2nd and now realise it may have serious issues. the cable rub and chewing of the big thin alloy nuts were first worrying signs. i have serviced it as per instructions except no sign of internal valve, looking again (my printer isn't great) it seems to be in the bottom of shim stack. i'll come back to that because it isnt my main worry. (zero pressure in damper does what? stop lockdown working?)

edit: how do you inflate the internal part once it's inside the leg and only damper adjust rod is sticking out?! i must be missing something obvious here

but my main worry is the odd clunking noise during compression. something is moving where it shouldn't.. the bushes may be sliding? where should they be in the outers? presumably one at end and one mid way up to support the stanchion. mine are both at the end. this may explain both the odd noise during compression and the extra flexibility? if so, now do i reseat them (with the bush tool, where from?), i think that means destroying the seal head to do it, so can I get spare heads anywhere? (will be needed eventually anyway!)

edit: manual suggests one bush per leg (unstable?!), i appear to have two per leg. perhaps previous owner has replaced Maverick bushes with RS or something else?

if anyone can tell me the length of a maverick bush that would help please.

what prompted all this faffing btw, is i had left seal blow out at the weekend and oil my front brake, replaced that with Enduro seal all good there so far, but a bit lose (anything like loctite for plastic?)
    Last edited by Smiff; 03-27-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast