mtbr member
    Mar 2006

SC32 Knocking...

I've just fitted a pair of SC32 forks to my ML7 (had a DUC on there before) and I took them out for the first blast around the woods today. Early on in the ride I noticed a metallic knocking noise when I hit a small bump or root. It sounds like top out clunking but as I've never experienced it before I'm not sure. If I push down on the bars when dismounted it doesn't happen and on bigger hits it didn't. The first few times it happened I thought my headset was slightly loose. I when I got the fork I changed the fluids and reassembled. I did refit the black bumpers but my have them the wrong way around... do they taper up or taper down?

Any help much appreciated

Ade

mtbr member
    Mine is doing that too. Looking at the manual there is a negative air chamber in one of the legs and I think the problem is that there isn't enough air in the chamber. Looks like it is a little bit of a pain to get to though. I have yet to take mine apart though, so hopefully someone with a little more experience will chime in.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    make sure the negative spring is not unclipping from its seat in the air spring tube side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

check the top-out bumper...

My SC32 had a metallic clicking sound and it was due to the top-out bumper (not to be confused with the bottom-out bumpers) being shredded by the negative spring. Check the diagram on page 6 of the fork sevice manual, it is item 9 in the parts list. It is very easy to service.

The bottom-out bumpers ade364 is referring to are the large bumpers that sit in both legs, and I believe the correct orientation is tapered down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Righto then. Air spring stripped and played with. Negative spring was seated as per, the small bumper on the shaft within the spring is in good condition. Reassembled the fork with fresh oil and test rode. It sounds like the fork is still doing it. It happens just as the fork is unweighted or a small bump is hit. It doesn't happen on larger hits or jumping off a kerb. Thanks for the help so far....

mtbr member
    Try pulling the spring off its housing by hand. I had a similar problem until I pinched the spring tighter on the housing/seat with pliers. It was unclipping when unweighted and clipping back in on compression. Pinching it kept it in place and no more noise.
    Or contact Ethan at Maverick

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sounds like negative air is low or empty.
    Randy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The negative spring was empty... but when I pumped air in it got to 50 psi and then the oil started bubbling out of the top of the shaft? Am I missing a seal? Sounds daft but it's all I can think of. The instructions of the Maverick website don't mention adding air? Yes I'm a biff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I am confused....

I guess I don't understand what is meant by "negative spring was empty" and "negative air chamber." In the left leg there is the air chamber (the positive "spring") and a coil spring (the negative spring). There is no negative air spring or chamber. In the right leg there is the damper unit, and that should be pressurized, but I don't think (or didn't know) that is referred to as a negative spring. If you are referring to the air charge in the damper it should have at least 60 psi - if you are leaking oil out the top along the shaft I would suspect the o-ring around your piston assembly is shot. If you are losing oil out of the Schrader valve on the bottom of the damper then I suspect you have too much oil.

Either way, I am not sure if this would be the cause of the sound you are hearing.