mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Rubber Queen Tyre size

Folks

Looking at the RQ 2.2 for the rear of my Durance. I have had a Kenda Nevegal 2.1 on there previously which rubbed on the top of the rear triangle under certain conditions.

I have heard the RQ is tall, but can anyone tell me the width compared to the Nevegal? Mounted on Mavic 819 USTs.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Check out these two links for detailed specs for Conti and Kenda tires....

http://mtbtires.com/site2/tire-specs...tal-tire-specs

http://mtbtires.com/site2/tire-specs...nda-tire-specs

Schipperkes are cool.
    nevegals are known to grow. contis are known to be smaller then advertised. You'll be fine with the RQ-now called Trail King in the back 2.2".

Rubbing? where? Seat stay? Chain stay? What wheel? What QR? What spokes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Tyre choice

Rubbing on the LHS of the 'seat stay' on the rear triangle. Salsa QR skewer, DT double butted spokes, CK ISO hub. The wheel has had the dish and truing checked and confirmed as OK. The wheel actually sits closer to the left hand side than the right hand side when on the bike by a couple of mm.

The rubbing was not constant, even with the Nevegals. Sometimes happened on straight flat rads, sometimes on tight trails. To me there didn't seem to be a lot of consistency.

I have learned to live with it but it does limit choice of tyres. I now have a 2.1 Geax on the back, but I would really like to go back to a 2.2, 2.3.

I have thought about upgrading the QR to the DT RWS. All suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

mtbr member
    i'm have the RQ 2.2" UST on the back of my 2008 durance. i tend to run the tyre at around 20-22psi and use it in rough terrain. the tyre is mounted on a 28/23 mm (outer/inner width) rim and the hope pro 2 hub fixed with a hope QR. the wheel is *not* a lightweight build and i weigh 70kg loaded.

i have had no issues at all and am very happy with the tyre - i've recently bought a new set (this time non-UST 2.2" with black chili) as replacements. the non-UST now on the front is the same size and should also be fine.

there is about 5mm of clearance to the seat stays at the closest point (the tread on the shoulders of the tyre) and about the same *all round* (front & sides) at the chainstays. i can imagine that if the tyre sat 2mm off-centre, then rubbing might be an issue.

it sounds to me like you have an alignment and/or soft wheel and/or tall shoulder tread issue. does the *rim* sit central in the frame? if you turn the nevegal around on the same rim is the shift to the other side?

just for the record, the new conti freeride and DH tyres, meaning from the rubber queen upwards, do not suffer from conti's previous sizing policy. the RQ in 2.2" is e.g. bigger than the wtb stout 2.3" mounted on a similar rim.

ragetty

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by chcmuzza
    Rubbing on the LHS of the 'seat stay' on the rear triangle. Salsa QR skewer, DT double butted spokes, CK ISO hub. The wheel has had the dish and truing checked and confirmed as OK. The wheel actually sits closer to the left hand side than the right hand side when on the bike by a couple of mm.
    I have thought about upgrading the QR to the DT RWS.
    The rubbing is from hard abrupt braking as the rotor is on the non-drive side; it's OK to dish the wheel for the frame for a situation like this. I would ditch the Salsa QR as every external cam QR does not clamp consistently like a Shimano XT/XTR, Mavic Cross Max and the RWS. I am not sure about this, but you might be able to swap the King axle to one that accepts the Thru-RWS DT big skewer.
    I have a ML8 with EX823 rim, 2.0-1.8-2.0 spokes on a 975 XTR rear hub & QR with a 2.3" Eskar and it barely rubs on the non-drive side. I have a 440 Thru-RWS big skwewer to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Don't want to derail the discussion, but I have to ask ragetty....how did you like the RQ 2.2 UST on the back? Do you perceive any major difference now that you also have the black chili version as comparison? Are you using the new black chili tire also tubeless (non-ust)? If yes, is it working fine?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzywater
    ... how did you like the RQ 2.2 UST on the back? Do you perceive any major difference now that you also have the black chili version as comparison? Are you using the new black chili tire also tubeless (non-ust)? If yes, is it working fine?
    i had 2.2" USTs mounted front and rear and liked them very much - grip, braking, cornering all good and driftable at the limit. they look good too.

i managed to snakebite the front a while back on a rock or something (i think this is simply a 'sharp' rim issue), which was repairable, but the wound proved to be too close to the bead and over time it eventually popped out of the rubber. the rear is running low on tread after around 2000km of hard riding.

i have 2 non-UST black chilis as replacements. one is mounted on the front and performance seems fine, although i haven't really used it at it's limits yet so i can't contrast and compare to the UST.

the front is mounted tubeless with a notubes rim strip - there were a few minor leaks airing up but the tyre was not noticeably porous. that said, it did take its time (weeks) before finally sealing up properly, but i believe this is a bead/rim issue. the UST was better in this respect on the very same rim.

i'm veering towards using only proper UST set-ups, so i may well go for another UST for the rear and keep the black chili for up front only. on the other hand, if the BC helps prevent wear ...

hope that helps ... ragetty

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll try the new skewer, order a Rubber Queen and if it stills rubs will look at having the wheel redished slightly.

Cheers