mtbr member
    Jun 2006

riding Maverick in 2017 ? ? ?

Hi, I have a ML7 / DUC32 that I enjoy. Time moves on, and these are getting to be fairly old bikes / old designs. For those of you that still ride Maverick, is it worth spending $400 for a full front and rear shock, or is that money better spent towards a newer bike / design?

I love the bike, but don't ride full suspension a lot, so I'm not familiar with how much better the newer designs have become.

Ideas?

Opinions?

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    What do you mean by "spending $400 for a full front and rear shock"? Do you mean for a rebuild?

I traded all my Mavericks in over a year ago on a Carbon Niner Rip9 with full XT/XTR. I miss my Mavericks every time I climb.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Datalogger: Yes, to send them to the best Maverick tech, to have both shocks gone through and upgraded is about $400. Overall, while your new Rip9 is great, you don't feel it is light years better than the old Mavericks? Think I might just keep mine, and try to dial in the fork a bit. I feel like I have poor small hit performance from the fork.... maybe too much air?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had my rear shock serviced by Ethan earlier this year. I thought the price was fair, and certainly much cheaper than a new frame or bike.

I admit I sometimes wonder whether there are better pedaling or climbing 140/150mm bikes out there, but comments like those from Datalogger reassure me that I'm not missing much. I can roll off 110 miles of singletrack in 9hrs with just the fatigue and tiredness of pedaling (no neck, shoulder or back pain), so whether or not the design is dated/antiquated, it still works for what I need it to do. I plan to keep riding my Durance for as long as the frame remains intact, regardless of what the market says I should be riding.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by jolson72 View Post
    Datalogger: Yes, to send them to the best Maverick tech, to have both shocks gone through and upgraded is about $400. Overall, while your new Rip9 is great, you don't feel it is light years better than the old Mavericks? Think I might just keep mine, and try to dial in the fork a bit. I feel like I have poor small hit performance from the fork.... maybe too much air?
    If you are running higher pressure in the fork you need a stronger negative spring. If Ethan is servicing your fork I'm sure he can swap one in for you. I also had bad small bump performance (I ran really high pressure), but never got around to installing the stiffer negative spring.

My RIP9 is awesome looking, but it just wants to wheelie when I climb and the front end is super flexy feeling since the bar is so wide (and I'm a big guy). But it's a great descender. I only got rid of my Mavericks because I wanted a 29'er and Maverick was no longer in business.
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sounds like I do need a stronger negative spring. Datalogger: did you do the floating piston upgrade at any point? I like the feel of the front fork, but I guess I always am wanting more air in it so it is less active...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    VegasSingleS, what is the difference between the Durance and the M8? The Durance had less travel / suspension, right?

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by jolson72 View Post
    Sounds like I do need a stronger negative spring. Datalogger: did you do the floating piston upgrade at any point? I like the feel of the front fork, but I guess I always am wanting more air in it so it is less active...

No, I never did the upgrade. Sorry.
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Aside from a lot of the technology being hard to find new parts/spares for it's still an awesome technology (for me.) The main drawbacks for me: hardly anyone is making 26" rims anymore Stans and Spank. And Enve. 1 1/8" straight steerer headtube: Fox 36 is an amazing fork, but I bet they stop making a straight steerer very soon. My DUC is saved for my old Durance. I converted my Chris King 24mm through hub to 20mm for my Fox, and converted to 1x11 years ago. Replaced the Maverick dropper with a Transfer. I rode it across Colorado to Moab last summer and kept up with all my buddies on their 29ers, and definitely had more fun on the downhills https://cl.ly/1r1x063J1u2v

mtbr member
    May 2005
    FWIW, WTB is still making 26" rims (I have their Frequency Team rims on 3 bikes, very durable rim IMO); Light Bicycle also makes 3 26" carbon rims (an XC version that is a clone of the WTB Frequency i23, and an AM and DH hookless versions). Great 26" tires are always popping up for sale. I've stocked up 20 Schwalbe's (Nobby Nics and Hans Dampfs) at $10/tire, which I run between my Durance, and my wife's and son's bikes.

Regarding steerers, any Fox fork can be ordered with a straight 1 1/8" steerer. The downside is you won't find one on sale (I'm a cheap bastard, so the thought of full price on a Fox 36 makes me cringe!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Carl, what travel are you running on the 36? How much slacker (since I bet you calculated it ;-) ??? Prolly 1/2" or more diff in a-c?

-Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This year I built a Klein Palomino (Maverick Technology) as you can see here.
    The frame was given to me, but I had to buy everything else.
    All in all I could have bought a 29' Used Carbon Hardtail for the same price, but I think the "maverick" is a much more polivalent bike. I feel that I could spend all day riding. More important than that, I feel that I won't jump in the consume wagon. If this frame has some problem, usually it is some small part that can be achieved anywhere (bolts, nuts, washers, o'rings, oils, bearings) and not some carbon frame that will break just riding normally (My experience with Trek 9.9 SSL Frame).

About your dilemma spending 400usd in servicing the suspensions, are you sure that is the price? Or that is with tune up?
    You can try it do it yourself.

About 26' parts, how many times do you need brand new suspension/forks or Rims? I know that buying new gives another confidence, but sometimes you can get crazy good deals on used/old new stocks. I managed to get a pair o DT Swiss XR1450 wheels (DT Swiss 240s hubs,DT Swiss rims and nipples) used almost as new for 150eur (I guess it doesn't even pay the hubs). Also, if I need something more exotic and new I bet my friends at Prototype Racing Parts (Portuguese Wheel brand) can come up with something.
    The same about forks, if you manage to get a good one and continue to service it as the brand advises it will last for a long time (I got a 2013 Magura TS8 R 100mm with almost no use for 170eur, from what I've read the brand didn't changed too much, and even so, do I need all this "evolution" ?)
    Even if I wanted to get something newer, with 1.1/8, I think this Portuguese Company can change the steerer tube or mod and existing suspension.
    For me the Maverick has a meaning "Everything can be done and perfected, it is a matter of wanting to do so".

Sorry for such long text and bad english.

Maverick Rider
    Sep 2017
    2018 still riding my ML8 I bought three years ago. LOVE IT!

JWB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am still riding my ML7.5 and still love it. I am still collecting KOM`s on Strava with it at 49 years old.

I have made sure I have spares of any unique parts (rear shock, front mech mount, seat clamp) and also have a spare frame from eBay which means I have a spare rear end, monolink and other small parts.

I have just rebuilt my rear shock (very easy to do) and nearly all the items are O rings which I expect to be able to get anywhere.

My forks are Fox and they have a bit of bush play and wear on the legs. I will see if I can rebuild them, if not Fox and Xfusion do 26" straight steerer forks.

Tyres are still available and often at bargain prices as fewer people want them.

Gears are 9 speed Shimano so easily available.

So I cant see any reason why I cant keep riding it for another 10 years, especially as now I cant afford another bike that will be anywhere near as good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had a Klein Palomino back in the day and the Maverick suspension was without a doubt the worst I have experienced on a mountain bike. But I never owned a Klein Mantra so hard to say if it was THE worst.

all that said, if you like it and have been riding it for years then it fits what you like. So it is likely worth it to you to spend the $400.

eventually, the bike may start to show its age and a new bike is in order. it may be best to test ride or demo different bikes now before dropping $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk