mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Repair Stand -- Where to Clamp my Durance w/SBR?

I did try searching this forum first...

Just upgraded my work stand to a Park PCS-10 and now I'm sure where I should clamp my Durance (or whether I should with this at all). Had an Ultimate (now Feedback http://www.feedbacksports.com/produc...air_stand.aspx) stand with a spinner knob and was clamping near the top of the seat tube -- on the sides -- from behind, just below the collar. My Speedball doesn't extend far enough to clamp.

Wasn't until I went to put my bike on the new PCS-10, with a 'straight clamp' rather than 'perpendicular clamp' on the old one, that it dawned on me. The straight clamp can't do the back and front because in front is that support/stiffener, only side to side. But if you rotate the bike basically 90 deg, the rear wheel and frame hit the upright of the stand.

I'm not gonna get a dummy seatpost. Can/should I clamp on the top tube? Bearing in mind that I have to grab it where the tube is round, not squared, and that's pretty eccentric (off-center). Cables don't seem to be a big deal as the clamping surfaces have a good-sized groove for those.

Thing is, the PCS is height adjustable and easy to rotate, which is important for a Maverick! Of course the stand I've been using for 10 years or so is free and it does work...

Thoughts?
    Thanks for your consideration.

Schipperkes are cool.
    No clamping the frame! You will crush it.

Clamp the stanchion of the Speedball.

Raise the Speedball Up out of the seat tube top clamp safly athen put it back when you are done.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks, Scot. Been clamping the seat tube for 3-1/2 years now, but the top tube definitely concerns me.

I'll try the seatpost, of course one of the things love about the SBR is that I don't have raise and lower and and re-center all of time. I keep the bike in the stand between rides.