Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Removing bearings from the monolink

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Ethan F 
#1 ·
Folks

I am having trouble removing the bearings from the monolink. I have tried the Wheels Mfg bearing puller to no avail. The internal sleeve prevents this tool from hooking in behind the bearing and there is insufficient friction on the internal face of the bearing to remove it.

Will I need to take this to an enginnering shop to do, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
Not that I am aware of. My understand is the bearings are seating against the housing of the monolink, and between the bearings through the monolink itself is a sleeve the same diameter as the inner diameter of the bearing.

To clarify, I am referring to the suspension bearings, not the bottom bracket bearings.

Cheers

#6 ·
Anyway since I did it I am pretty sure it works. Turn the socket so the flat is against the bearing on one side and smaller than the surrounding metal. Pick another that is larger than the bear so it can pop out inside. Then put it in a vise. It isn't that hard.

#9 ·
It is easy. I push the bearings out with a socket using a vice with a larger socket on the push out side so the bearing can go into it.

The only awkward bit is when the bearing you are pushing drops into the middle of the monolink.

Being in the wet and muddy UK I get to change mine often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.