mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Removing bearings from the monolink

Folks

I am having trouble removing the bearings from the monolink. I have tried the Wheels Mfg bearing puller to no avail. The internal sleeve prevents this tool from hooking in behind the bearing and there is insufficient friction on the internal face of the bearing to remove it.

Will I need to take this to an enginnering shop to do, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Cant you just use a socket to knock them out? I think I did it in a vise though with sockets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not that I am aware of. My understand is the bearings are seating against the housing of the monolink, and between the bearings through the monolink itself is a sleeve the same diameter as the inner diameter of the bearing.

To clarify, I am referring to the suspension bearings, not the bottom bracket bearings.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I am pretty darn sure you can just push them out from the other side. Try it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chcmuzza View Post
    Folks

I am having trouble removing the bearings from the monolink. I have tried the Wheels Mfg bearing puller to no avail. The internal sleeve prevents this tool from hooking in behind the bearing and there is insufficient friction on the internal face of the bearing to remove it.

Will I need to take this to an enginnering shop to do, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks for your help.
    Where are you ? Europe you can send it to me, USA call Ethan.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyway since I did it I am pretty sure it works. Turn the socket so the flat is against the bearing on one side and smaller than the surrounding metal. Pick another that is larger than the bear so it can pop out inside. Then put it in a vise. It isn't that hard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I agree with sxotty, I asked Ethan a while back about this and that is what I remember him saying. Just drive the bearing through the monolink from either side. I haven't done it yet but now I am tempted to go try it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks folks, I'll have another look at it. BTW I am in New Zealand.

Cheers

JWB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It is easy. I push the bearings out with a socket using a vice with a larger socket on the push out side so the bearing can go into it.

The only awkward bit is when the bearing you are pushing drops into the middle of the monolink.

Being in the wet and muddy UK I get to change mine often.

mtbr member
    I have instructions if needed! It is as the others have mentioned, easy and just need to drive one out (no internal landings) then the other...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the help guys, all done using a vice and a couple of sockets. Took a lot of force to move them though.

Question, I assume I lightly grease the axles when reinstalling them onto the new bearnings?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Yes! We have been using anti-seize to help ward off corrosion from steel bearings.