mtbr member
    Sep 2008

R773 Vs Dura-Ace/Ultegra/105 Front Mech...

Got a 105 front mech on my Durance. Had a 105 on my preceding ML7 too.

Now I know that the front mech situation is a bit of a compromise on a Maverick (one that I'm prepared to live with for the performance of the frame), but given that I just put brand new inner and outer cables on my Durance, and the front mech still requires a very heavy thumb to shift up, I was wondering about the merits of changing it for an R773...

And if I change it, which one do I buy?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=38450

There are 2 different braze-on options there, would the 50T max version be a better choice given the smaller chainrings on an MTB?

Schipperkes are cool.
    R773 is a flat bar road front derailleur. Flat bard road shifters are just about the same thing as a mtb shifter. So when you install it on your Maverick, the leverage to move the FD will be easier & smoother. If you can, find the 9spd version as it's got a wider cage, especially if you have trigger shifters. You would want the 50th version.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cheers Banks, figured the leverage ratio was the same so it should feel just like a normal MTB front mech in use.

Can't seem to find a 9spd R773 though, only the 10spd versions. A Slightly wider cage would be ideal, as with my 10spd 105 you can't get all 9 gears in every ring (not that you should be using them all in each ring) without a slight bit of chain rubbing the mech cage at either the top or bottom end.

So would the 9spd R443 work just the same then? As far as I can make out, it's just a cheaper version of the same product... A bit like a Deore mech is to an XT mech, they both do the same thing just one is cheaper than the other. Would the R443 be alright as I can find a 9spd one of those quite readily?

Schipperkes are cool.
    Yes, use the R443!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

cyco biker

Not only does the 443 work better because of it's wider cage, it also has a weaker spring so it requires less force to shift.
    My hobby is keeping wood alive