mtbr member
    Dec 2007

R.I.P GRIMM....You will be missed.

But Happy Birthday Sputen Duyvil....

thanks Ethan.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey man did that just happen or is there a good story surrounding the crack?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    Hey man did that just happen or is there a good story surrounding the crack?
    Just riding along...no story.

mtbr member
    Same happened to my ML8 after 7000 miles... I got it welded back but never used the repaired frame as I got a brand spanking new one from Ethan.

mtbr member

Welded up ML8 frame

Some people have asked me via PM about my welded up ML8 frame. Here are some details and pictures.

My 2005 (I think) vintage ML8 frame cracked earlier this year around the seatpost mount. I was actually lucky to catch the cracks during a pre-ride routine maintenance because these where really thin and in an area that that I don't necessarily inspect every ride.

I first noticed the cracks around the seatpost mount, then after a careful inspection I saw additional ones at the weld where the shock attaches to the frame.

I looked around for used frames (weren't any at this time), considered getting a different bike, but in the end Ethan came through for me with a brand new frame at a reasonable price (I even got to pick the name!).

In the mean time, I had brought the frame to my favorite welder. He is an older gentleman who's been building motorcycles for decades (think Tuttles from American Chopper before they even started to build bikes...). This guy is a welding magician and has done some spectacular work for me in the past: repairing magnesium cases on my Husaberg, changing the geometry of my Husqvarna, doing a single side swingarm conversion on my supermoto...

So he is more than qualified and skilled and he told me that because of the thinness of the tubes and the hard anodizing this was a difficult job.

You can see in the pictures below how it looks.

One of the challenge is that the welding on the seatpost holder swelled inside the tube so I had to carefully file / grind / sand the inside to make a seatpost fit.

As mentioned previously, I got a new frame, do I never had the opportunity to test how will this would hold while riding.

So it is doable, but you definitively need to find the right guy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R.I.P GRIMM....You will be missed.-img_20121104_101651-custom-.jpg  

R.I.P GRIMM....You will be missed.-img_20121104_101704-custom-.jpg  

R.I.P GRIMM....You will be missed.-img_20121104_101713-custom-.jpg  

R.I.P GRIMM....You will be missed.-img_20121104_101723-custom-.jpg  

R.I.P GRIMM....You will be missed.-img_20121104_101803-custom-.jpg  

R.I.P GRIMM....You will be missed.-img_20121104_101813-custom-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Scary I hope mine lasts a long time since I don't want to get another bike anyway now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    Same happened to my ML8 after 7000 miles... I got it welded back but never used the repaired frame as I got a brand spanking new one from Ethan.
    Yeah that updated version is really robust, gonna go carbon on the seatpost.

denis thanks for the info...