mtbr member
    May 2006

Questions about brand new '06 Maverick Comp

I just purchased a 17.5" '06 Maverick Comp bike and have some general questions about the bike. I just received and assembled the bike yesterday.

1) I know the bike has front and rear disc brakes, but they do not seem to be as aggressive at stopping as the Specialized Brand bike that a friend has that does not have disc brakes. Should disc brakes be as good at "quick" stopping as the other type of brakes? On his specialized bike, when he applies the front brake, it will nearly flip you off the bike if not careful. On my IronHorse '06 Maverick Comp bike, when you apply the brakes it brings you to a slow stop, but not an instant stop. Is this normal?

2) The Front suspension on the bike only has the ability to adjust the left side of the fork. Does this mean that there is only 1 suspension spring in the bike, and does this even really matter for on road/med-light offroad use?

I did take the bike out and do some small (2-3 ft.) jumps yesterday and everything seemed fine. I think I'm just going to take the bike to a local bike shop and let them check it out and make sure I have everything assembled and put togather correctly. Let me know if you have any tips on new bike setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    "The "pre load" adjustment on your fork basically compresses the spring inside without compressing the fork down into it's travel, therefore making it feel stiffer, or harder to initialy compress. Having the pre load on one leg all the way down while having the other backed all the way up will give you the same setting as having them both adjusted half way down. The fork on your maverick has a stiff arch bracing the lowers together, so any uneven pre load will not have an effect. Some forks even come with a spring in only in one of the legs."

this is what the ironhorse mechanic said about my maverick comp that has preload adusters on both sides.