Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    A Man Of The Truth
    If you've purchased a Maverick to reduce your maintenance time, you've made a horrible mistake

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Have you ever owned an Intense? The point is that I can do my own maintenance on the shock and bushings. When is the last time you had to send in your rear shock for a rebuild? do you like replacing bushings a few times a year? Have you ever tried to separate the triangles of an intense? As long as i can do the maintenance relatively quickly and keep her running.. I'm psyched. Have you dealt with bike shops in the mountains of Colorado? I'd rather put broken glass in my cycling shorts and ride the entirety of the Colorado trail... Plus Mike at Maverick is a very nice guy. i assume (and hear) Ethan is awesome as well. I'll deal with them , thank you.

A Man Of The Truth
    I've mailed my shock in to maverick about 4 times over the last 3 seasons. It's not "difficult" dealing with them. But the bike is by no means "low maintenance".

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    In comparison to my ex-wife... EVERYTHING is low maintenance! All great bikes require maintenance, which I actually enjoy a bit. It came down to the ride, while i liked the Intense, I didn't LOVE it. If i have to work on my bike-which one does- I want to be able to do so as much as I can. the constant squeaking and play development of the intense was driving me bonkers. And again... the Maverick ride. It just feels better for the way I pedal I guess. Being able to take it with me is huge because I travel for work so much. If I don't have it with me... I'm not riding much.

Lord, i was born a ramblin' man. Tryin' to make a livin' and doin' the best I can.

A Man Of The Truth
    Well yeah I love my ML8, it's great for everything except downhilling, where the suspension isn't quite as plush as you want when you're going big. But from everything else to occasional downhilling, aggressive technical trail riding, even urban riding with some 2.5" hookworms, it's great. But the frame always needs work. High maintenance, good ride. I wish they could make a true 'coil' shock for this bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I reckon one day someone will make a 9" suspension downhill monster that weighs 14lbs. and climbs like an aluminum hardtail. Probably Paul Turner. Untill then we have what we have. I guess folks would call me more of a x/c AM rider? I dunno, go up the mountain as fast as you can, go down the mountain as fast as you can. Find the bike you like and have a good time in the dirt whilst breathing hard. As far as downhill goes... I think I'm going fast enough, I sometimes get that feeling that I probably should have some more protection on. As long as I'm a little scared and grinning going down.. I'm psyched. Happy spinning, happy hucking!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Somoa

Congrats Brima! I have also been revamping Inky and boy is it riding nice!

Happy trails!

rebmem rbtm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimav View Post
    VPP is nice but not anything like this. It's so cool not to need lockout in the rear to stand up and hammer. Feels flawless to me! and that's what matters, no? now how do i add a picture of "Somoa" ...my birthday present,my precious.
    HaHa. That's awesome.10 o'clock at night and I'm inspired to throw on my lights and go out...
    Happy Birthday

Take Chances

Go out and get some on your ML8!

Lewis River Trail toward the end of the day. What a great trail! Lovin the ML8. Just tuned the fork to be a bit more forgiving for trail riding.

Happy B-day Brim!!!!!

Post your Maverick!!-lrt.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah Pappa!! Now that's what I'm talking about! BE INSPIRED!!! We lead by example each and every day. If there is time, there is time to pedal!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2natime... you're the bastard that got me mixed up in this!! THANKING YOU KINDLY! I LOVE my dear Somoa. See you soon for some lung-busting busting fun,eh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Maverick ML8 white powder coat

i tried to show off my ML8 white powder coat here, but it won't let me do it coz i have only 2 posts done in da past. it has 2b 10 or greater posts b4 i can post my beloved ML8. so i just post something anyway...

just have a questions about rotors. if anybody have an idea or know this will work please help me. i'm a weigh weenie. i bought a pair of 6" ti rotors for my ML8, but didn't realized it that a regular brake pads doesn't work on it. i've tried also ceramic pads, still didn't work. any suggestions? thx a lot! ss

mtbr member

sky blue powdered durance with talas 36

my durance has been powdered sky blue and been pimped slightly ...

you probably can't see it here, but that's a 650b front wheel - the talas 36 and 650b front wheel are an experiment for tough descents to give me a flatter head angle - the 130mm setting for the talas should be as for the DUC32, i.e. 545mm a2c - 30mm travel + 5mm for the 650b (at least compared to my usual front wheel/tyre).

other than that, then there is a hope pro 2 front hub in gun smoke, a crank bros cobalt 700mm low rise bar, a spank spike stem, HSx10 (22/36 x 11/36) gearing, NC-17 magnesium pedals and a dt swiss RWS 10mm rear bolt.

i didn't think i'd like the bike without the DUC32, but i've quickly gotten used to the look of the bike with the talas 36 - this is partly helped i think by the handle bar and front hub more or less matching the blue of the fork (a pure fluke, i hadn''t given this any thought at all). unless i really fall for the fork, long term i'll be back on my 'choppered DUC32'.

all told, she now weighs in at around 14.3kg / 31.5lbs ... the 2007 talas 36 means about a 550g (net) gain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    my durance has been powdered sky blue and been pimped slightly ...

you probably can't see it here, but that's a 650b front wheel - the talas 36 and 650b front wheel are an experiment for tough descents to give me a flatter head angle - the 130mm setting for the talas should be as for the DUC32, i.e. 545mm a2c - 30mm travel + 5mm for the 650b (at least compared to my usual front wheel/tyre).

other than that, then there is a hope pro 2 front hub in gun smoke, a crank bros cobalt 700mm low rise bar, a spank spike stem, HSx10 (22/36 x 11/36) gearing, NC-17 magnesium pedals and a dt swiss RWS 10mm rear bolt.

i didn't think i'd like the bike without the DUC32, but i've quickly gotten used to the look of the bike with the talas 36 - this is partly helped i think by the handle bar and front hub more or less matching the blue of the fork (a pure fluke, i hadn''t given this any thought at all). unless i really fall for the fork, long term i'll be back on my 'choppered DUC32'.

all told, she now weighs in at around 14.3kg / 31.5lbs ... the 2007 talas 36 means about a 550g (net) gain.

looks nice. planning to put 650b front on my durance too. where did you get the white rims?

rebmem rbtm
    It looks great, my wheels are turning on my own Durance now. I'd like to see some more pics and a side view.

mtbr member
    here's the side view with the fork at full travel ...

the spank spike stem was too short (35mm), so there's a 70mm stem in there now.

what else would you like to see?

ragetty

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice ride. Hey, how do you like the hammerschmiditts (sp?)? ? As well, i just can't seem to pull the trigger on a joplin $ as SO many people seem to have problems with it. most of my riding is in the mountains of Colorado so it's UP UP UP then DOWN DOWN DOWN. I can take a moment on top to drop my saddle and catch some thin air so am wondering if it's even really necessary for me. Everyone who has one loves it WHEN it's working properly and says they could never go back. Not sure if i want to try it, love , it and hate not having it when it doesn't work. What say you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook View Post
    looks nice. planning to put 650b front on my durance too. where did you get the white rims?
    i thought i answered this

i ordered out of the US and had them shipped to germany ...ragetty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimav View Post
    ... What say you?
    i'm in the alps, so it's more or less the same - i still would not ride without a vario-seatpost.

i have 2 speedballs, and in 4 years only one failure (and that was only a blown valve). i service them myself roughly once a year, but they would probably go longer without ...

buy a good one used and give it a try ...
    Last edited by ragetty; 10-17-2011 at 01:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    jeez guys.....

I knew when I got one they climbed well but.... this is silly. Seriuosly. Just came home from the first clean bicycle ascent of a 6 pitch 5.9+ slab route in Utah -now formerly a rock climb- on the Maverick.

Not really, just a joke but you get the point. this thing climbs like a monkey on crack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the Utah cycling was, as ever,....brilliant. Treat yourself. You're worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Sizing!

Hi all,
    I know this is not quite the place to ask this but I don't know where else I could ask??

My wife's credit card is just about to give birth to a new (2008 model) Maverick ML8. It's been ordered but wont be shipped till tomorrow morning so I have time to change my mind if I need to.

My question is should I go Large or Medium?

I'm 5' 11" and I think of average proportions, I emailed Chris at Maverick and he suggested that the large might be the way to go but when I spoke to the lads at the shop where it's coming from they thought that medium was the preferred size.

As far as I can see, the only significant difference between the two are that the large is about 20mm longer in the front triangle. many other parts of the geometry are the same.

I currently ride and love my Giant VT which is a 18" or 18.5" frame if I recall correctly and it feels good to me although Im no expert.

Even the medium ML8 is longer wheel base than the VT.

After seeing some forum posters saying that they got a medium and are a similar height to me I wonder if you guys could comment.

I don't have an option to ride the two different frames.

Cheers in advance for your comments.
    D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit7 View Post
    Hi all,
    I know this is not quite the place to ask this but I don't know where else I could ask??

My wife's credit card is just about to give birth to a new (2008 model) Maverick ML8. It's been ordered but wont be shipped till tomorrow morning so I have time to change my mind if I need to.

My question is should I go Large or Medium?

I'm 5' 11" and I think of average proportions, I emailed Chris at Maverick and he suggested that the large might be the way to go but when I spoke to the lads at the shop where it's coming from they thought that medium was the preferred size.

As far as I can see, the only significant difference between the two are that the large is about 20mm longer in the front triangle. many other parts of the geometry are the same.

I currently ride and love my Giant VT which is a 18" or 18.5" frame if I recall correctly and it feels good to me although Im no expert.

Even the medium ML8 is longer wheel base than the VT.

After seeing some forum posters saying that they got a medium and are a similar height to me I wonder if you guys could comment.

I don't have an option to ride the two different frames.

Cheers in advance for your comments.
    D
    I guess you size 180cm +/- . You are between Medium and Large. I'm 176cm, all my Maverick are Medium, the ML8 has a 50cm stem. As all the Maverick, it has a long top tube, and even with a short stem it is long. As Ethan says, it depends of your legs / torso lengths ...
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Smile

D,
    for 5'11 i would suggest a "L" Chris, Mike & Ethan those guys at Maverick they know better than anybody. they the one who build the frame and all.

ss

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile Sizing!

Guys,
    Thanks for your advise, If it in any way helps I measure thus (just got the wife to measure me)

Height 180cm
    Leg length from flat of foot to pivot point of hip/torso 92cm
    Torso length from pivot point of hip/torso to pivot point of arm/torso 62 cm
    Arm length from pivot point of arm/torso to to grip position of hand 69 cm
    Inside leg length 85cm

I dunno wether there are any sums which can be done to devise which size would be best for me?

On a different point, is it possible in any way to use a fork with a tapered steerer in the 08 ml8 frame? was thinking of the Fox TALAS 160.

Thanks again for your help.
    D
    Last edited by eejit7; 10-16-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast