Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Palomino w/ Maverick Monolink Ride Report...

Anyways, took out the Palomino for a short jaunt. Some things I notice right away

1) When just jumping up and down on the pedals in the parking lot, the whole rear suspension moves a lot. It used to be that my front would compress a lot more than the rear, but now, they seem to compress at the same rate/distance. The front and rear suspension seems more balanced now.

2) You can tell that the bottom bracket is in a different place. I was using my quads a ton more than normal up a climb. I readjusted my saddle a little mid-ride. it made it better but I still need to move it farther forward. Your cockpit will likely shrink if you want to keep the same saddle/pedal relationship.

3) It's a whole lot more plush that it used to be. Definitely smoother over the bumps.

4) it seems to bob a bit more more when you're standing up and hammering.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, tho it's a bear to get my positioning corrected again. sigh. I'm wondering if I shouldn't pump up my rear shock a bit more tho. it's at 160 and weight baout 180 with all my riding gear on...

Anyone else have any opinions/reports?

-don

mtbr member
    Maverick recently moved the BB part of the mono-link about 10mm further forward and further up to make the suspension more supple, this is also evident on the Palomino retro-fit link....so yeah, it will shorten the cockpit and also effectively lengthen the chainstays too in relation to the Klein link you replaced

I went from a Palomino to an ML-7 bout 6 months ago and the difference in the suspension action is night and day, the Maverick bearing link is infinately smoother, The Klein link has so much stiction (too much)

Your observation on more bob is the result of the total lack of stiction and you may have to add more air pressure to the shock to compensate as I found I ran higher air pressure on the Maverick in relation to the Klein.

You may also have to dial in more rebound damping on the shock too as the suspension is gonna be more active now.

If this link was available 6 months ago I would have kept the Klein

Kleins are the biz

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by blehargh
    I'm wondering if I shouldn't pump up my rear shock a bit more tho. it's at 160 and weight baout 180 with all my riding gear on...
    Don, You should have at least 170-175psi in the rear shock now. 95% of rider weight.

Scoty
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    hi anyone out there!!! help needed to sort out bushes on Klein Palomino 2005/2006 bike. bushes worn out for third time!! Can you get replacement bearings or monolink unit?? Any source for UK or even supplier inUSA and any guide on cost.
    Thanks for help from any source.
    Cheers
    peterjohnnelson@hotmail.com

Schipperkes are cool.
    sent email.

NW MTBER

Palamino/Mav

Just my 2 cents...I owned a 2001 Klein Palamino (I upgraded the monolink after 3-4 years). I loved this bike! Fast and fairly lightweight (under 29 lbs) even with moderate components and hydraulic disc brakes, I am not a weight weenie but... I can't say I noticed a whole lot of difference between the monolinks except a little better clearence maybe. The biggest deal I noticed was I didn't have to worry about my linkage getting really, really loose after every ride. The newer sealed bearing monolink is defintely the way to go. I also was experiencing some difficulties with keeping my shifting working top notch...That being said, I had the opportunity to buy a ML7 with full XTR for $900 recently, with 0 miles of trail use I must add, and decided it was too good to pass up. Sold the Palamino to a buddy for $500 (over 1,000 miles of singletrack on it I thought it was fair). For the difference in price I am stoked with the decision. I swapped the monolinks because the Maverick had the older magnesium monolink. After the first 2 rides I wasn't sold yet, probably getting used to any new bike is tough, but after dialing in the shocks I am really glad I switched, however I was still very, very happy with the Palamino...it is a great ride. The Maverick is under 27 lbs which is nice, the biggest difference might be the XTR shifters and derailers? They work really well even when fairly mudded up. Either bike is great I think.

Schipperkes are cool.
    So Stem, you took the black mono-link out of the Klein and installed it into the ML?

NW MTBER

Palamino/Maverick

Yeah, I took the newish monolink (Alum with the sealed bearings and with bottom bracket an inch up and foreward) and put it on the Maverick. The Palamino upgrade monolink is the same as the new Maverick monolink, I believe, at least from waht Maverick tech. told me.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

NW MTBER
    By the Way that Maverick ML-7 is a 2001 and had the Magnesium Monolink in it.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

Schipperkes are cool.
    Poor guy who got the Klein....I've go the black Mono-link kit in stock.

NW MTBER

mav/pal

my friend that got the bike for $500 is stoked. The monolink I gave him has the sealed bearings at least, not the bushing monolink that I rode for 4 years, and is in new condition. What is wrong with the magnesium monolink anyway? Is it just the changes they made to the positioning of the BB that you are referring to? Or is it that they are softer metal? By the way "you have them in stock"? Do you sell parts for Mavs? I thought you had to buy it from them? Are they $225 like from Maverick?
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Poor guy who got the Klein....I've go the black Mono-link kit in stock.
    What the previous guy said too. I am wondering as my wife has a Palomino and at some point we will probably get the monolink kit.

NW MTBER
    what happened to Banks? got bored?
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

Schipperkes are cool.
    About what?

NW MTBER
    "Poor guy who got the Klein....I've go the black Mono-link kit in stock."

Banks still wondering... "What is wrong with the magnesium monolink anyway? Is it just the changes they made to the positioning of the BB that you are referring to? Or is it that they are softer metal? By the way "you have them in stock"? Do you sell parts for Mavs? I thought you had to buy it from them? Are they $225 like from Maverick?"

then sxotty: "What the previous guy said too. I am wondering as my wife has a Palomino and at some point we will probably get the monolink kit."

~you seemed like some sorta expert on the subject so I just wanted to hear your opinion~thanks
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

Schipperkes are cool.
    The Maverick grey link has the Second to Worst front derailleur cable routing to the Trek desinged Palomino link, where Trek people do not know what a radius is.

My shop is a Maverick Dealer.

NW MTBER
    I believe it was a Maverick BLACK monolink...is that possible?
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

Schipperkes are cool.
    Could have been. The black alloy link is the latest version from Maverick.
    Trek link is grey cast Mg for bushings
    Early version Mav link is 'machined' Mg with M logo on bottom.

NW MTBER
    It had the M logo and said Magnesium on it...so I guess that is much better than the Trek one I had on it when I bought it, and not as good as the alloy one I put on my Maverick. So all is well as far as I am concerned. Thanks for the info.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    The Maverick grey link has the Second to Worst front derailleur cable routing to the Trek desinged Palomino link, where Trek people do not know what a radius is.

My shop is a Maverick Dealer.
    Yeah I had to get some Shimano cable that had ruptured and take out the teflon lining to slide over the cable so it would work nicely on the palomino.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Palomino 04 and worn out bushing

I have Palomino 04 and bushing worn out. I am satisfy with bike. Can someone point me to Web store with bushing and Maverick monolink (in Europe or even in the USA) to help me decide how to solve the problem - upgrade or not. Thanks.

Schipperkes are cool.

mtbr member
    somebody pls remind me what the big black bolt is for ...

thx, ragetty

Schipperkes are cool.
    It's to install the brass bushings, with Green threadlocker, to the frame tangs. You use one of the nuts to tighten them against the frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    anyone still got a palomino maverick upgrade? I've been riding a Palomino for 8 years and I love it. I had the bushings machined out of titanium and have not had any problems since, but a ballbearing version would be much better I imagine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast