Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Palomino maverick link rebuild toque specs?

So my beautiful palomino is starting to creek, and I figured I would rebuild the link. I bought in brand new and they installed the maverick link at the shop, so I don't have the instructions. Anyone have a link or could email me the instructions? I found this post in my search, but I was hoping for something more comprehensive. Thanks
    Loosening Pivot Bolts
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    So my beautiful palomino is starting to creek, and I figured I would rebuild the link. I bought in brand new and they installed the maverick link at the shop, so I don't have the instructions. Anyone have a link or could email me the instructions? I found this post in my search, but I was hoping for something more comprehensive. Thanks
    Loosening Pivot Bolts
    Grease on the monolink bolts, thin layer on the bearing caps and tight the nut at 10/11 N/m (red loctite on the thread)
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    10nm seems high. But I only have an allen wrench for my torque wrench so that might be an issue. Anyways thanks though. I am glad I pulled it apart, two of the bearings were starting to lock up and they look hard to replace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    10nm seems high. But I only have an allen wrench for my torque wrench so that might be an issue. Anyways thanks though. I am glad I pulled it apart, two of the bearings were starting to lock up and they look hard to replace.
    in case you still have the monolink off the bike, carefully prise off the dust covers to the bearings and STUFF them full of thick, waterproof grease - the more the better as this then means there is all the less room for dirt to ingress ... then replace the dust covers and wipe off most of the excess.

and before reassembling, check that the thru-bolts don't have play in the bushings in the frame.

ragetty

mtbr member
    Thanks Ragetty. I only have a year of so riding on it and it is in a rotation with a few other bikes, so I wasn't too worried about the bushings, but I will check next time. I did get the covers off of the bearings and I cleaned them out as best I could and actually got them spinning again. I then repacked them with park green grease. I was thinking of getting some phil wood grease to through in there, but I just don't know if it will make that big of a difference. Water definitely got in the bearings though, so lots of water proof grease might be the way to go.

ODP
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maybe grasping at straws here, but where did you get your upgrade kit? As of today, looks like the kit is discontinued through Maverick. I was really hoping to get that kit and install it on my newest build project!
    ~ODP

Schipperkes are cool.
    DeKlein aka Palomino Upgrade kits are on production hold as of this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Leucadia Cyclery
    And call this guy, he was a huge Klein dealer back in the day and it is where I got my frame. He might have one laying around.

ODP
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Dang, thanks for all the help. The search has begun!

~ODP

UPDATE: Snatched up the last one in stock at Leucadia Cyclery, thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by ODP; 09-08-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Did you end up grabbing one from Outside outfitters?

ODP
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nope, called Leucadia Cyclery and Fred sold me his last one in stock. If you're looking for one, I'd start there he might be able to help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bump on Monolink find

I am in the same spot as ODP...Palomino with a need to upgrade to Maverick Monolink...

Anybody else aware of any kits anywhere?

Thanks for any tips...

mtbr member
    Out of everywhere, even at Maverick ...
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thank You mighty Alp person...(I am jealous of your location! ;-)

I talked to Maverick a couple weeks ago and even asked if they would share the design schematic with me, no luck there either...but I am still looking, if anyone comes across a shop that has one kicking around...I am all ears...worst case I'll be looking at a new Durance...rather not go there as the only thing wrong with the Palomino is the bushings (and geometry!!!) of the original monolink...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks B'stone,

I had already tried the Pink bike contact, nada...but I just sent an email over to Joyride...we'll see...

mtbr member
    Any luck? Are you going to post pictures soon of your new link? Or no luck?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Never heard anything back from joyride, I'll try calling them today...

Rode last night with a fast crew on the Palomino...I was slow, but thats normal ;-)

The linkage is sloppy, but it works...

I am liking the idea of a new 29 hardtail of some sort with 100-130 front shock, oversized axle of some flavor...running it one*ten...I had upgraded shifters and brake levers on the Palomino a few years back, same XT calipers, but XTR levers (very nice) and went to Sram X-9 shifters and rear. could use some of that on a new 29er...sad to say, the Palomino might be at an end...

mtbr member
    If you liked your palomino with the stock monolink you will love the Maverick ML7.5/Matic or a Maverick Durance. They can be had for good prices these days. For a 29er fork the only way to go is with a used Duc32 and 29er adapter. 29ers are slow to get up to speed but roll easier once you get there, so it really depends on your style and the terrain you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    the Palomino ran great...I had my eye on a Durance on Ebay...but it seemed to sell locally, auction ended early...

Thanks for the advice...

mtbr member
    ScottPete,
    When I click on the link for Joyride it doesn't work, not really sure why. I did go to joyrides website and searched for Maverick. The Palomino upgrade link came up about halfway down the page, and it was going to let me buy it. You should be able to buy it right now online. Anyways, it is a whole new bike with the upgraded link. Good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just placed an order at Joyride...we'll see if they can actually ship it or not...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ha, this is the response I received on the third email from joyride:

Reason for cancellation: The Maverick kit you've ordered is not available, your order will be canceled and refunded, thank you.

I am back to looking wherever I can...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is a Reposado frame on the Bay of E...anyone have an opinion onthat link? it is with bearings right? I am sorta running under the assumption that all the Mavericks used Bearings and slightly improved geometry on their Monolinks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast