mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New wheel set upgrade ideas

Being pretty new to MTB'ing ( 2nd season ) my question is a basic NuB type question .

Having run my new ML8 for 3 month hard 4x's a week on 15mile each DH shuttles, i am wanting to upgrade to better wheels at least a matched set.

The local mechanics around here are giving me confusing - conflicting advice at least as it pertains to the front wheel - hub.

What i have now is the used scratched up Mavic X-m 819 with the typical round spokes up front which does stay true that came with the nice used DUC32, and a new Vuelta Zero Lite comp with flat blade black colored spokes that goes out of true about every 3rd run on the rear.

Would love to have a matching set of higher end wheels but i keep getting a thumbs down from the locals due to the proprietary front hub, but it seams to me that a good wheel builder can build me a set of matching wheels no matter what hub is used ?

1) What tougher / better wheel do You guys suggest ? $300 to $1000

2) Crank Bro wheels any good , they sure 'look' dam good but no one here is rocking them ?

3) Do i need to have wheels built / spoke'ed to match the front hub or can i go off the shelf ?

4) Rear hub brand -spec to match a better rear wheel upgrade ?

Your input is appreciated ...PEACE

mtbr member
    it sounds like the 'locals' are not the right people to help you. there are no 'special' concerns regarding the maverick hub, other than that one needs the right tools to build the wheel around it - any competent wheel builder will have no problems ...

1). for that price range you should pretty much be able to have whatever you like. don't go for the bladed spokes or for narrow profile rims (i.e. light weight) for anything more than trail riding - yes, some people do do more with these components, sometimes without issue, but enduro/freeride/dh is still not really suited to their design purpose ...

2). ... take a closer look at the number of (proprietary) cb spokes/nipples!

3). you can go off-the-shelf - the 24/7 will take any conventional spoke/nipple/rim combination.

4). is the front hub black or chrome? whatever, get a rear hub to match, e.g. from hope, chris king (cool sound) or a ream of other manufacturers.

rather than going 'custom', i usually look for a complete wheelset from an established, independent supplier that offers different wheelset combinations for different budgets. i choose my wheelset/budget, and then write an email saying 'this set pls, but i will supply the front hub' - the price drops and i have had zero issues so far.

good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    it sounds like the 'locals' are not the right people to help you. there are no 'special' concerns regarding the maverick hub, other than that one needs the right tools to build the wheel around it - any competent wheel builder will have no problems ...

1). for that price range you should pretty much be able to have whatever you like. don't go for the bladed spokes or for narrow profile rims (i.e. light weight) for anything more than trail riding - yes, some people do do more with these components, sometimes without issue, but enduro/freeride/dh is still not really suited to their design purpose ...

2). ... take a closer look at the number of (proprietary) cb spokes/nipples!

3). you can go off-the-shelf - the 24/7 will take any conventional spoke/nipple/rim combination.

4). is the front hub black or chrome? whatever, get a rear hub to match, e.g. from hope, chris king (cool sound) or a ream of other manufacturers.

rather than going 'custom', i usually look for a complete wheelset from an established, independent supplier that offers different wheelset combinations for different budgets. i choose my wheelset/budget, and then write an email saying 'this set pls, but i will supply the front hub' - the price drops and i have had zero issues so far.

good luck
    Oh ok great, i thought for sure the locals were steering me wrong lol.

CONFUSED: When You say: 'i will supply hub" , You mean that You will send the hub to them to have them install it into their stock wheel, then they will ship out the new wheel set with Your hub installed back to You ?

REDUNDANT : Sorry but text sucks,if i was talking to You in person ths would be clear right off the bat, ok so from what i understand of Your reply to me, ( please correct me if i am wrong > i can write to oh say Mavic or perhaps Crank Bros and tell them to make me a set of wheels based on one of their off the shelf models that use 32 spoke / round spokes ( insert model of wheel set here ________ ) all i have to do is send them my Maverick front hub or even toss n a CK back hub so they can lace up a new off the shelf front wheel with my 24/7 Mav hub and my custom matching CK rear hub is that correct ?

....... or...... i just buy a good Mavic AM 32 spoke wheel set and have a local wheel builder install my Mav 24/7 hub ?

PEACE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinOregon View Post
    When You say: 'i will supply hub" , You mean that You will send the hub to them to have them install it into their stock wheel, then they will ship out the new wheel set with Your hub installed back to You?
    this ...

you send in the mav hub and the wheel builder laces it up with the spokes, nipples and rim to build the front wheel from your chosen wheelset from their product portfolio, and supplying the complementary rear wheel to complete the set. you could of course send them both hubs.

i said any 'independent' supplier - search here (or pose a question) to find a wheel builder near you ... cb and mavic will *not* help you.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Send me the hubs, I have been lacing Mav hubs since 2002 . That 819 is an Awesome rim. You do not need to match hubs, rims, spokes, tires,tubes, socks, etc. Vuelta is a low end brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.