Schipperkes are cool.
    I felt the SC32 made the ML7.2/Palomino Rip where the DUC was a tad sloppy on steep techy hill climbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New forks for ML7.2

I've had an ML7.2 since 2004 and like it. I can't say the same about the DUC32s (of which I have two pairs).

Has anyone had positive experiences with other forks on the ML7? I'd like to quicken the geometry a little as the trails I ride are twisty singletrack and rolling ups and downs.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have an older ML7 with the SC32 and I think that is the perfect match. I have ridden an ML7 with the DUC32 and it felt like I was on a chopper, it really is too much fork for that bike.

My original fork was a Fox Vanilla set at 100mm of travel, which matches the back-end, but it never felt like it was enough suspension and the geometry didn't feel right. I converted it to 125mm per Fox's instructions and that felt much better. When the SC32 came out I switched to that which lowered the front end just a bit, and made my ML7 feel much faster and controlled. I have had the SC32 for 6 years now and still love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

...and one more thing...

since you are currently flying a DUC up front you already have a wheel built with a 24mm axle so switching to the SC makes sense to me. Get one, get it set up to you're riding style and you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Giallograle View Post
    I've had an ML7.2 since 2004 and like it. I can't say the same about the DUC32s (of which I have two pairs).

Has anyone had positive experiences with other forks on the ML7? I'd like to quicken the geometry a little as the trails I ride are twisty singletrack and rolling ups and downs.

Thanks.
    Heh send me a DUC and I will send you an SC32

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for all the advice.

I wonder what a Revelation or Fox 32 Float or Talas would be like at around 130mm?

mtbr member
    Hi I am trying to rebuild an ML7.2 rear shock and I need a hypodermic needle pump adapter and slotted allen/hex key. Does anyone know where to get these. Maverick/Ethan does not have any.

From Maverick manual:
    "Pressurize the Damper to 125psi using the Hypodermic needle attached to a std shock pump. The Set screw should be loose when inserting the needle, and tightened using the special slotted hex key before removing the needle. After removing the needle, fully tighten the setscrew."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've just fitted Rock Shox Sektor RL U-Turn 110mm-150mm coil forks which I got for $405. Chosen on the grounds of price-performance and I haven't been disappointed.

Since the Sektors run a 20mm Maxle Lite and post mount rather than IS, I also 'had' to get a new wheelset - Hope Pro II Evos with ZTR Crests sealed with yellow rimstrip replacing Mavic XM819s with my UST Crossmarks - and a set of Formula K24 brakes.

I've done a couple of rides so far and the bike is a whole lot better. The extra weight I gained on the forks (Sektors 2108g - DUC32s ex-crown and stem 1771g = 337g) I lost on the wheels and my own weight - overall it feels lighter.

The front-end is more stable and planted - the Sektors stick to the ground. I've used the U-Turn to play with the geometry and I also tried a couple of stems and settled on 60mm. 100mm was too long - my DUC32 stem was 70mm, and I may try a 50mm. Wider, higher bars should improve the fit and position.

Axle to crown is reportedly 532mm at 150mm on the Sektors (520mm on the DUC32s) but the bike feels quicker and sharper than with the DUC32s - better in twisty singletrack and fine on descents. I find running them at 130mm is too twitchy, but I need to experiment some more. So far 150mm is good all-round and they are a lot better than the DUCs at keeping the wheel on the ground.

The large frame still feels a touch sluggish in twisty singletrack, but when I get the cockpit sorted with a shorter stem and wider, higher bars it will be a better riding position than before.

Anyway the bike already feels much better. I still have the DUC32s and when I have time I'll fit a fresh set of seals and service them - then either put them with the other leftover parts on a hardtail I'm building, or sell them.

I hope this helps anyone else who is in the same situation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've become a lefty fan. I have a 140mm on my 7.5 and it works like a champ. I had a ML7 with a Duc, and Suc on it. IMHO that frame is great with anything from 100-150mm. Oh, and I also have a Suc on ebay.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey 2na, post a pic if you can. I am interested to see what how the Lefty looks on a Maverick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey G,

I have some pics posted, both of a Black ML7 (Blackie) and my blue ML7.5 (Inky). Should be in the 'Full Suspension Single Speed' thread, and also 'leftified non-cannondale' threads.

Cheers!