mtbr member
    Sep 2004

ML8 rear shock losing air.......

Hello ml8 rear shock is losing air over a short ride, is first port of call cleaning the o ring and chamber (sorry not very mechanical minded) and replace oil??If so what oil should i use??
    All advice and help welcome.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    go over to the maverick website and check out their service pdfs - there is a pdf specifially on troubleshooting.

in the other pdfs on component service, you'll find the information you need in terms of oil, etc.

ragetty

cyco biker

Dirt happens

Probably particles of dirt around the seals letting the air out. Pretty simple job. Let air out & pull it apart. Dump the old oil & make note of it's health. Wipe everything around the seals clean. Add more oil (~20cc). Put it together. Air up & go.

Of note... be careful backing out the base set screws only enough to release the upper shock. Too far out & the O rings are a bear to get back in w/out mangling them. Read the 1st 11 pages of the below PDF for pic's & more details.

http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_16.pdf
    My hobby is keeping wood alive

Schipperkes are cool.
    How old is your frame? What is the colour of the dust wiper seal; black or blue?

Stock amount of oil for the shock body is 15ccs of Fox Float Fluid/Rock Shox Redrum. 20ccs will make the rear end more progressive-rammpy.

When you are done cleaning out the body & seal, just before you install the damper, smear a good fingerfull of Slick Honey in the wiper seal lips; that will allow the seal to work cooler and be a bit more plush.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicksville
    Hello ml8 rear shock is losing air over a short ride, is first port of call cleaning the o ring and chamber (sorry not very mechanical minded) and replace oil??If so what oil should i use??
    All advice and help welcome.
    Thanks
    If you are still struggling with air loss problems after changing the seals, check out my older thread at HELP: rear shock loosing pressure...

Denis