mtbr member

ML8/Race Face Duce Installation Question

Well my Race Face Duce XC Crank finally showed up and just my luck it does hit the D-Hanger before the crank bolt bottoms out. According to the RF installation instructions I don't need any spacers other than the factory installed ones. If I install a 2.5MM spacer between the drive side bearing cup it screws up my chain line... Plus the crank bolt will never bottom out which RF states is "critical"

Ethan mentioned that there was a newer D Hanger that is compatible with the Race Face cranks. Can any tell me how I know if I have one? Or suggest a work around? If I cannot fix this I am going to have to return the crank.....

mtbr member
    I had to get a bit aggressive but I was able to resolve the issue...

I simply had to grind the D-Hanger down where the chain ring bolts were rubbing.. Once I took it off I could see that it was plenty thick in the area where the bolts were rubbing and there was more than enough material to allow me to take some off the front side.. So I carefully used the bench grinder and was able to reduce the thickness a bit and presto... The crank bolt bottoms out perfectly and I have clearance between the mount and hanger...

I also had the clearance issue on the SRAM 990 cassette lock ring hitting the nut on the back side of the Derailleur hanger in the rear... Did not have a Shimano lock ring but I did have a perfect thin washer...

Lots of issues with parts tonight........

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I've had the same issues with a 990 on my ML8. Had to steal a lock ring from a XTR cassette I wasn't using. Would love to know if there is another hanger bolt I can use that would allow me to run the SRAM lock ring.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

Schipperkes are cool.
    SRAM lock rings are over rated.

Get one of these in Ti if you really wanna ball
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Yeah, but those aren't red. Plus IIRC they are heavier than the stock ones. Lol.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baha_boater

Lots of issues with parts tonight........
    Shoulda asked, I've had both those problems already

I just put a shimano lockring on and viola, the other option would be to buff the back of Der hangar bolt, it barely rubbed on mine. The newer Dmount already is grinded back a bit there, or formed that way anyway so the problem doesn't come up, but it sounds like you fixed it easily enough.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Guys!!! i try to set up my ML8 and i have the same issues.
    Ethan & Voob help me very much for one more time. thanks

ML8/Race Face Duce Installation Question-bb-2-.jpgML8/Race Face Duce Installation Question-bb-5-.jpgML8/Race Face Duce Installation Question-bb-3-.jpg