Thread: ML8 questions

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

ML8 questions

I have been riding a ml8 for a couple of years now, I ride 2 mtn bikes, ellsworth moment and ml8. I have always been a little frustrated with the steep head angle on my ml8. I was about to put a 650b wheel on the front, and still might, as that would slightly slacken the head angle. I have also heard that you can slacken the head angle by 1 degree with some new part in the head set. Have any other ml8 owners tried this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorealtitude View Post
    I have been riding a ml8 for a couple of years now, I ride 2 mtn bikes, ellsworth moment and ml8. I have always been a little frustrated with the steep head angle on my ml8. I was about to put a 650b wheel on the front, and still might, as that would slightly slacken the head angle. I have also heard that you can slacken the head angle by 1 degree with some new part in the head set. Have any other ml8 owners tried this?
    ??? never heard about this ...
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    650b will only make the head angle marginally slacker, as the largest 650b tyre (kenda nevegal 2.35") is only a little 'larger' ([edit]10mm[/edit] diameter) than a modern high volume 2.4" tyre such as the RQ (trail king in the US).

i currently run an ardent 2.4' exo on the front and an RQ 2.2" BC on the rear to tease a little more slack out of the head angle. i also have the above mentioned 650b combo for the front too - that helps again, but it's swings and roundabouts as a big grippy tyre brings other advantages ...

btw - with the 650b combo the DUC32 needs 12mm top-out spacers, with the ardent 2.4" 7mm spacers - both to prevent the tyre topping out on the bridge of the fork frame (static test with no air in fork). yes, in a real life situation and with air and oil in the fork, the tyre may never touch the bridge - but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

i've just this week had a friend make up a new taller (10mm) lower crown race for the durance-type campy headset (this type of taller crown race is only commercially available for non-integrated headsets). once the frame is back from being powder coated i'll be giving this a try. this may not actually be a good idea because of excess loads on the fork and frame, and i'm sure it's NOT 'maverick-approved', but since i'm no clydesdale i thought i'd give a whirl ... wish me luck

i have also picked up a fox 36 talas 160/130/110mm which i will be trying too - in 130mm mode, the a2c of the 36 talas should be comparable (+/- few mm) to that of the DUC32. i will actually be trying this first before the 'choppered DUC32'.

i hope ethan is looking in and will incorporate equivalent and/or appropriate mods in any future frame and fork developments

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 09-18-2011 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I kinda like it how it is so I can ride uphill as well as down . Still I can see how a person might like a slacker angle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I recently put a Talas 36 110/130/160 on my ML8 and it has transformed the bike. In 130mm mode it feels just like the DUC32, but in 160mm mode it is just awesome - it really does feel like a new bike. Took it in this guise to the Alps a few weeks ago and it was just the perfect bike - drop the fork to 110 for climbing and then 160mm for the HUGE descents!

Haven't measured the angles but whatever it is, it works!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorealtitude View Post
    ... I have also heard that you can slacken the head angle by 1 degree with some new part in the head set. Have any other ml8 owners tried this?
    just seen this part of the email - if you mean the new angle set from cane creek, then you need at least one end of the head tube to be 1.5". the other problem is that it is currently not available for integrated head-set head tubes ...

ragetty