mtbr member
    Dec 2006

ML8 Powder coat colour opinions

Hi All,
    Fancied a new bike, but rode allsorts and still preferred the ML8 so am going to give it a refresh this winter! Will get the frame and forks (Fox 36s) powder coated and get some new decals.

Am thinking maybe the Durance baby blue with white forks, but open to suggestions. Anyone have any pics of some colourful ML8s?

Thanks

simple
    Purple ML8 on ebay.

Maverick ML8 MTB, w/ Maverick DUC32 Fork - Size: Large | eBay

Andy @ Maverick has a nice green one that is on the Facebook site

Maverick American Bicycles - Wall | Facebook

Take Chances
    That purple made me poke out my eyes with a pen!

mtbr member
    i just went through this process for my durance, i'm building her up right now ...

not all colours are available in powder coat, and you can't mix colours to get a match. available RAL colours are here, so you're perhaps looking at 5012 or 5015 as a best match to the fast blue. there are some nice metallic colours available too.

if at at all possible, try to check your preferred colours in real life and daylight!

powder coats are tougher, but do add weight to the frame. and you may find yourself having to clean up points on the frame for bushings and the cabling end caps

frames are baked at 180*C. you can either powder coat colour, bake, apply maverick's decals and then apply a normal clear coat over the top, OR you can apply the powder coat colour, bake, apply specially plotted heat resistant decals and then clear powder coat over the top and rebake.

i certainly would not go with the same colour for frame and forks, but blue/white with largely white logos should be good, although then adding white rims maybe too much of a good thing.

the ml8 in (bright) blue would be cool, be sure to post pix!!

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 09-18-2011 at 11:08 AM.

mtbr member
    and here she is ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Colours

I'm kinda having the same issue, sorta.

I've just pulled the trigger on a hard ano grey ML8 and I've had the frames weird looks grow on me but I'm really not fussed on the colour. It's a bit understated/boring.

I have to say raggety's durance is a beautiful colour.

My fave tho is below and I kid you not, I had the exact same idea in my head as this very talented fella. Shame the duc is not longer available (tho I'm not 100% that is what I want)

I can't do links I'm not superior enough so
    search for Maverick American ML8 on vimeo or vimeo.com / 13847936 (remove the spaces)
    D

mtbr member
    too much white for me, and it's also not how i would build the ml8 - jm2cw ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hughjayteens View Post
    ... still preferred the ML8 so am going to give it a refresh this winter! Will get the frame and forks (Fox 36s) powder coated and get some new decals ...
    any progress? or is it not yet winter enough?

ragetty

mtbr member
    bump ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes, winter is here but business has taken over my life somewhat! The ML8 hasn't been ridden for a couple of months as I got an Epic for winter XC stuff so a perfect opportunity to get it stripped and changed but I just haven't had the time or motivation! Am thinking of getting it done 'properly' and getting full length gear cable routing added and some guides for the Reverb hose too.

Watch this space..... (hopefully!)

mtbr member
    look what i just found on the web ...

it might be painted as opposed to powdered, but the colour is def. on my list should i pick up an ml8 ...

mtbr member
    Looking at that color chart ragetty posted, I think a Maverick painted in either sulfur or luminous yellow would look sick! Reminds me of the bright eye-catchy Ibis Mojo colors. Not a fan of yellow, but that color just jumps out at me....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well dug the ML8 out today and took it for a blat around the Surrey Hills having not ridden it for 2-3 months - what a bike! Felt heavy after the Epic for the first 5 minutes but once I got into the flow of things it was just immense. Did about 30 miles of big ups and downs and loved every minute of it! Winter hasn't really kicked in yet in the UK so I think I'll wait until the weather turns before stripping it down as I just want to ride it again!

mtbr member
    well, frankenfenix is making progress - i'm picking up the front 'triangle' next week ...

the front triangle is going to be a middle metallic blue, somewhat lighter than the blue in the pic above. i left the rear triangle anodised black as it was in excellent shape and it's that part of the frame that gets most of the abuse. this then also allows me to go for a black fork (cheaper than white ones used (i.e. nearly new), with more available on the market). the rest of the bike will be pimped with blue and white highlights.

it's going to be 1x9+cg first of all, simply because i have the parts here - i also want to see what i can climb with 32x34 when i have to . frankenfenix is also going to be a 26'er with a 160mm fork first of all, but the plan is to go for b6 with 170mm ...

has anyone experience with the manitou dorado in an ml8?!?

i'll post pix in the 'post your maverick' thread.
    Last edited by ragetty; 07-06-2012 at 02:43 AM.