mtbr member

ML8 help - HELP !!

the threaded metal housing for the valve that screws into the ml8 shock body has broken off - the cause appears to have been user stupidity

whatever, i need a replacement. the problem is that i'm leaving for a bike event this coming tuesday midday and do not have the part ...

i have a joplin, a DUC32 and a durance frame here that are not needed for the trip, but as far as i can see i can not scavenge anything for the ml8 - all other valve housings appear to be different.

can someone please tell me that i am wrong and that i have the necessary part (buried) somewhere?

alternatively, i am in germany and am willing pay express shipping to get something here for monday or tuesday AM ...

thx ... ragetty

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just switch mine from my ML8 to the Durance. They looked identical. I need to go pump them up to make sure they hold air. I have a spare new one that looks the same. I got this one from Ethan. I like to have a spare of all the little parts on hand. If I can help you out with an over night mail of some sort let me know.

Jerry Weber

mtbr member
    geweber: the valve housing for the shock on my durance 'looks' to be a fixed part of the very upper end of the shock unit, but on my ml8 it is an threaded metal valve housing that screws (using a wrench) into the main part of the shock body itself - you think i can swap from the durance to the ml8?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, that is where mine is also. Just below the red rebound adjusting knob.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Air Valve on Durance

Here is the air valve on my Durance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ML8 help - HELP !!-air-valve-durance.jpg  

mtbr member
    ok, that didn't work - mine are very different parts

the housing for my ml8 looks very much like the one in your pic, but the one in MY durance is much simpler (black, no shoulder, no wrench flats).

trying to decide now whether to simply ride the durance instead.

mtbr member
    but now i seem to have the problem that the durance rear shock won't go through the full travel - the oil is drained out of the shock body and there is no change

i guess i will now HAVE to switch it out for the tweaked replacement shock i got from ethan

mtbr member
    @geweber: can you overnight your spare housing to germany? will it get here in time (munich)? alternatively it could go to the client i'm visiting in zurich on wednesday ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can try. How much are you willing to pay for the quick shipping? You can send the address to geweber49@gmail.com.

mtbr member
    i just checked dhl - they can do wednesday at the earliest, but that's assuming no delays.

geweber thanks indeed for the offer , but the risk is too high that it won't come together. if i can somehow return your offer of help one day, just let me know!

i'll fix and ride the durance instead - the durance has had some tweaks too and so also needs to be used in anger to see if it all makes sense ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well after all this I imagine you will be able to use it in anger

mtbr member
    yeah, right - it has to do for me what the ml8 was supposed to do!!