mtbr member

ML8 First Ride - WOW

Was going to stick this in the other thread but thought it might be of general interest....

Well I took the new ML8 out this AM.. It was 27 degrees when we hit the trail so until we go the motors running it was flippin cold!

Before I get to the ride I did decide to pull the SRAM shifters and X9 Rear Derailleur and go with XTR. It shifted OK but not perfect, kind of sluggish actually. So when I got home I installed an XTR RD and thumb Shifters on the ML8.... MUCH crisper shifting. The XTR stuff seems to function much better than the SRAM, not sure why but it does... That has not been my experience on other frames may have to do with the softer hanger.. Who knows..

On to the ride! One of the first attributes that just jumps out at you is how smooth this frame is. I rode Haw Ridge this AM vs my original plan to ride Norris, Haw Ridge has lots of single track TONS of roots and rocks, I always thought my Epiphany ate roots but not ones as large as the ML8. It took me awhile to figure out I could just stay seated and spin over just about anything. Very very plush ride.. Tracks awesome as well...

Second is climbing... It climbs anything my legs can handle and especially likes seated smooth effort just eating roots and ledges without any problem. You can stand up and power up steep sections as well, jump up on the pedals and it shoots forward up the hill. No way does it feel like a 6.5/6 inch bike. It climbs as efficiently as my Epiphany with the lockout on. Plus it is unbelievably light with the light build and DT Swiss 4.2 rims/rear hub/Maverick front hub and light tires it just squirts up hills.

Best for last is going down! Drop the Joplin (it looks better than the speedball that came with it) an point down and hang on. Forget the breaks they are not needed in most circumstances, when the are, stability and control are fantastic. All these people who knock the DUC 32 frankly have not ever ridden one or have no idea how to setup and ride a bike. Awesome fork and I am coming off a Pike Dual Air (not a junk fork by any means). The rear suspension is simply the Best no comparison. 6.5 Inches of travel that pedals better than a great 5" bike, that just shouldn't be..........

My Ellsworth Epiphany has been a really good bike and a very close second to my Matic in performance..

The ML8 is in another category all together and a very special bike....
    Attached Images Attached Images

simple
    Nice!

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Welcome to the dark side

mtbr member

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    Welcome to the dark side

What did Darth Vader say?

"You don't know the POWER of the Dark Side"