Thread: ML8 or Durance?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

ML8 or Durance?

Hi all!
    I am contemplating buying a Maverick but can't decide which bike would suit me better. I am getting older, so am not as aggressive as I used to be. I live near the Rockies and like roots/rocks and like to go fast on downhills (motocross background). I have ridden many very steep/technical trails with no suspension, front suspension or limited travel full suspension so am not sure I need 6.5" travel. I weigh about 180 and am 6 feet tall. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the ML8 vs. the Durance? How much weight difference (based on same components except for forks)? Thanks in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    I don't have a Durance but I have a ML8 and a Matic both with a DUC32. I certainly like both bikes but I find that I almost always ride the ML8. One thing I notice is the stuffiness and stability of the ML8. All of your energy seems to motivate you forward while providing the plushest ride possible. I don't know if it is due to the boxed tubing used in the ML8 or what but it is very reassuring on the nasty harsh stuff. I also believe the spring assisted rear shock provides some benefit as well giving a nice progressive feel to the back end.

I live in east TN and am pushing 50 so I don't get too crazy but I am able to more than keep up with some accomplished riders many years my junior on the ML8. The trails closest to my house have tons of roots and some rock pretty serious rock gardens and the ML8 is point and shoot. Down hill on fire roads are a blast and the ML8 goes up as well as any 4" XC bike and in most cases better. The only thing I don't like is where the water bottle mounts but if you can live with that it's near perfection.....

That being said you can't go wrong either way.... Enjoy!

Schipperkes are cool.
    ML8. Done.

Durance has a steeper seat angle, 5.5" rear end.

Need and want are different. I didn't need my ML8 from my 4" rear end ML7; I wanted it.

Either way you can't go wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How much does weight matter to you? The durance is lighter. And what banks said. I have ridden my bros ml7.5 and prefer my ML8, but that is just me. I don't know how the 7.5 compares to the durance though and he had the sc32 on it not a duc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for replies!

It certainly sounds like everyone loves their ML8's. I was leaning that way anyhow but was hoping to get more info to help me make the choice. I can't ride either (not anywhere near a dealer and have never seen a Maverick around) so have to rely on those that have. I am concerned with weight to the extent that I want a bike that won't hurt me on the uphills since I am riding in the rockies. I was hoping someone could ballpark the weight difference between similar AM setups (obviously different forks).

Anyhoiw, I appreciate the info you have provided thus far.

Bret

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Their website has frame weights. You can choose your components however you want.

simple
    The damper is softer on the ML8 and obviously the bike is slightly slacker. I chose the Durance because I wanted to do mega-epic rides with a little less weight, better climbing, and the inclusion of the water bottle mount...for a can of beer of course.

ML8s are selling for less than the Durance right now. Crazy good deals on them both. Which Rockies are you near? Canadian?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Weight difference between the Durance and the ML8 is approx 1.5lb iirc.

I have a Durance (which I upgraded to from an ML7) and I love it. It's exactly what I was expecting in that it's an awesome machine for covering distance fast, whether it's uphill or down. Having ridden an ML8, albeit very briefly, would say the ML8 is that bit more of a "fun" machine than the Durance, as in it's been designed more for having fun on than purely covering ground at a rapid pace.

Now I'm fortunate enough to have a few bikes, one of those is a Giant Reign X full sus bike with 170mm out back, and 160mm Fox 36's up front. Now it's a great bike, loads of fun, goes uphill much better than it has any right to and I love riding it. The fact I already had the Reign X and was selling an ML7 was the main reasons I went for a Durance, and am totally happy with it. For what I use the Durance for (mainly long XC rides with groups) it's perfect. Though I would add that if I didn't have the Reign X already, and could only have one full sus bike, I suspect it'd be an ML8 as it would seem to be the perfect half way house between the Durance's XC capabilities and the Reign X's Freeride fun...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

not ML8 or Durance - how bout ML8 and Durance

old post revival...

So if its not either or - is it redundant to own both? If a person already had an ML8, would he be better served with having say a different hard tail or ridgid single speed? or running a Durance as a single speed? realizing they all have their best applications...what say you?

Take Chances
    I to have many bikes but my ML8 is the main XC, trail, and "fun" bike I ride. Rides with jumps, drops to epic 26 mile rides with 6500 ft elevation gain. It does it all. I have to admit it would be nicer if it was more like 26 lbs instead of 29 lbs but... If I were to have a more XC oriented bike I would love to have a 29er. Then use my ML8 for everything else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    had both ml7.5 x 2 and 1 ml8, i would say that the ml8 is a better all day bike, mine weighed only 4 lbs more than the lightest ml7.5, the ml8 was no slouch climbing better downhill and was far superior in tight twisty singletrack. Both are fab bikes and durance would be a good long distance bike but the ml8 will do the same a bit slower on the ups not much but will be more fun on the way down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Steeper seat angle on the Durance, probably more so than the lighter weight and less travel, makes it an easier bike to ride distance on I'd say.

Members who have read this thread: 0