trail demon
    Jun 2005

ML7.5 & Duc32 - Harsh feel any tips.

I'm finding my ML75 a little harsh on the bumps at the moment. Any advice on what could address this. I'm approx 175lbs with kit & run approx 90% in the rear shock just under 160psi. With around 80/85psi in the front fork for about 30mm sag. I have played with pressures a little but still feels flat.

I'd be interested to hear of other setups. I did change the lube oil in the Duc's the other day now with Fox fluid. Also changed the lube oil in the rear shock with red rum. It just dosen't seem as supple as it has done running through the travel & the rear feels a little flat.

Interested to here setup tips for similar weights. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I spoke with Ethan about this on my wifes ML7 a while ago. His first suggestion for the for was to change over to a lighter negative spring. You may want to give that a try.
    Good luck,
    Randy Charrette
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Flickr

Schipperkes are cool.
    How many hours do you have on the bike? It took about 10+ hours for my SC on my Eriksen to become supple.

Scoty
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    Owned for around 11 months now. Initial setup had been ok but I must admit the rear shock has never felt real plush, more of a flat feeling. That's why I'm interested in people's setups to see if I'm missing something......

It's definatly not had hard miles on it as I've owned other bikes, so it's not always gone out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think your rear pressure is too high -- should be more like 85% max. Really, you can just lower the pressure until you either bottom-out or start to bob. I'm pushing 185 (fully loaded) and run around 150 psi with everything stock on the shock.

mtbr member

ML7/5 harshness

I have found that the lower pressures have really helped the ML7/5's feel. We have recommend that 90% body weight to start, since most people like the racier feel to the bike.
    But I like to make the rear end do its thing! So as the tread below mentioned, use 80% and see how it feels & experiment from there. Mix the Red Rum with 1 To 1 10wt oil. This will speed up the damper as well. Use a low volume of oil in the shock body, 6-10cc max.
    Red Rum and Fox Float Fluid are the virtually the same and widely available.
    For the fork, use Fox 7wt for the bushing lube and in the damper. If you need slower rebound go to 10wt. Make sure the shim stack is set in the lite set-up. This will greatly reduce harshness. For a 185lb guy, use 12cc of oil in the air side, 10wt oil, lite shim stack and 80psi in the damper. Give it a whirl!

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

WHERE is the love...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F
    For a 185lb guy, use...
    Oh, sure Ethan, back when I was pushin 180 and buying a frame thru you -- you weren't all 'do this, do that' to improve your ride. It was all, 'stock is just fine for you'.

Now that there's some distance, it's, like, well, you're calling me 'Clyde' or something... Why don't you just retreat back in to the shadows, 'Mr Jan 08 Join', before you turn this into another Ibis forum.

Take Chances

Good job! Manuf. Piping In

I think it is a good thing when manufacturers monitor related forums and give their 2 cents regarding their product. It’s a win for all.
    Last edited by tymelero; 01-11-2008 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Concur

Quote Originally Posted by tymelero
    I think it is a good thing when manufactures monitor related forums and give their 2 cents regarding their product. Itís a win for all.
    You know I'm kidding, right? Maverick, or any manufacturer, couldn't have a better 'public face' than Ethan! As knowledgeable and resourceful as this forum is, we all benefit from the Source.

Nevertheless, Ethan came thisclose to calling me fat...

mtbr member
    The rear shock on my 7.5 has always seemed harsh to me, the bike has never felt like its got 125mm of travel out back - highlighted rather disturbingly by an 08 Stumpjumper FSR I've just borrowed with 5mm less travel on paper but feels like 25mm more while riding - both sitting and standing!

Thinking about it,my old ML7 felt far more plush and reactive at the back end than my 7.5 with only 100mm travel leading me to think of the following -

1. Could I have too much oil in the rear shock?
    2. Have I got too heavy a weight oil in the rear shock?
    3. I've just read the rear shock rebuild guide on the Maverick site and read about an internal air damper that can only be inflated with a needle type valve, is it possible this has too much air in it, also can this pressure be tuned for ride feel?

Would appreciate some advice prior to taking things apart to investigate.

mtbr member

ML7/5 tips

It might be from a combination of those things you mentioned. First and the most common issue is to high air pressure. We recommend about 20mm of sag at the shock to start. The other most common issue is running the rebound to slow. Typical of all Maverick products, we do not use the parking lot to test settings. Back the rebound all the way off and slowly change this as you ride (stop first!). You may find a big ride difference with it faster and able to return for the next hit, thereby able to absorb more ground impacts. The slow parking lot curb test will most likely have you slow it down to much as you feel yourself "bounce" from the curb. This is not a true test of riding at speed and successive hits. Maverick will be offering the new 2008 dampers as after market upgrades. The new dampers have more volume to help improve suppleness. For more information please contact us.

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    I've just got back from Afan, great trails but I must say I found it a little dull with the ML75. A real shame but it just didn't seem to react very well to the lumps & bumps. Rolling single track seemed better but any uneven trail it did feel harsh. Pressures were adjusted out on the trail but I couldn't get it resolved. I've emailed extra to see what the cost would be for a front & rear service. The hope being, this will solve the issues I've had with harsh suspension.

SKliens - your comments about your ML7 being more supple is very similar to myself. I had the 7.3 before the 7.5 and I also had a much more enjoyable ride on the downs with that. Maybe the shocks are just not setup as well as they could be.....See what extra say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d4re
    I've just got back from Afan, great trails but I must say I found it a little dull with the ML75. A real shame but it just didn't seem to react very well to the lumps & bumps. Rolling single track seemed better but any uneven trail it did feel harsh. Pressures were adjusted out on the trail but I couldn't get it resolved. I've emailed extra to see what the cost would be for a front & rear service. The hope being, this will solve the issues I've had with harsh suspension.

SKliens - your comments about your ML7 being more supple is very similar to myself. I had the 7.3 before the 7.5 and I also had a much more enjoyable ride on the downs with that. Maybe the shocks are just not setup as well as they could be.....See what extra say.
    d4re - I rode at Afan two weeks ago (Whites levels) and I too spoke to extra regarding a shock rebuild but decided to try some things myself first, keep me posted how you get on.

Ethan is bang-on about running less rebound damping in the rear shock - it does make it far more responsive (Thanks Ethan) however, why do I have to stop first, I have been adjusting the damper whilst riding - may I have inadvertantly damaged something?

I know I can get it to work better - my '7' proved that....I will get there!

JWB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have found rear shock pressure critical to feel. 10lbs too much and it feels harsh.

I am 160lbs and run about 135 to 140 psi depending on terrain. That is about 85%. If I get upto 150psi it does feel harsh.

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    Forks & rear shock now on the way to Extra UK. See what the guys can do........fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Forks & rear shock now on the way to Extra UK. See what the guys can do........fingers crossed.
    Let us know how you get on - I'm in the middle of moving house now so cant send mine right now.

Are you getting the damper upgraded to 08 spec?

Ethan has sent me the low down on what to do, Infact, he's gone way beyond the call of duty to help me out - dont think I'd see that from most manufacturers somehow!

I'm also deliberating on whether to attempt it myself........

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    skliens - checked with Ethan the '08 damper is not in full production just yet, so will see what can be done to improve the current one on the ML75. Hoping the guys can work some magic & get it sorted, nice & smooth.

Are you selling yours? sure I've seen a (blue) ML75 on ebay at the moment, moving away from maverick?

mtbr member
    skliens - checked with Ethan the '08 damper is not in full production just yet, so will see what can be done to improve the current one on the ML75. Hoping the guys can work some magic & get it sorted, nice & smooth.

Are you selling yours? sure I've seen a (blue) ML75 on ebay at the moment, moving away from maverick?
    Think Extra may be able to improve things for you re: the harshness d4re

I did have mine on ebay.....been toying for a while for something else, I think just for the sake of something different, in the end I pulled the auction, its too good a ride to let go on a whim.......that thing has got me round some evil rides and put BIG smiles on my face over the last 12 months, perhaps more with a little fettling eh!

mtbr member
    I know that this is the Maverick forum, but I have a '03 Klien Palomino that the M-bits shock just does not seem to perform. It seems very dead, it never really was good from day one. If I put in 90% of my weight in air pressure, it is rock solid, to get some movement out of it I have to lower the pressure to something around 45lbs. When it is this way, I can get the shock to compress, but it is not really soft, and it is slow to return, regardless of where the rebound knob is set.

Can the Maverick 7/5 shock fit my '03 Palomino and will it provide better response?

If that can, and if it improves the performance, then my next upgrade will be the new monolink with the bearings, but if the 7/5 shock shows no improvement, I will be giving up on this bike.

This bike seems like a hardtail all the time, and I know it should be better than that.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn_goat
    I know that this is the Maverick forum, but I have a '03 Klien Palomino that the M-bits shock just does not seem to perform. It seems very dead, it never really was good from day one. If I put in 90% of my weight in air pressure, it is rock solid, to get some movement out of it I have to lower the pressure to something around 45lbs. When it is this way, I can get the shock to compress, but it is not really soft, and it is slow to return, regardless of where the rebound knob is set.

Can the Maverick 7/5 shock fit my '03 Palomino and will it provide better response?

If that can, and if it improves the performance, then my next upgrade will be the new monolink with the bearings, but if the 7/5 shock shows no improvement, I will be giving up on this bike.

This bike seems like a hardtail all the time, and I know it should be better than that.
    Mbits rear shock is 50% of Rider Weight!!!!! It's a coil with air assist! When was the shock last serviced?

If you change out the Mono-Link to the Maverick DeKlein kit, the bike will perform wonderfully.

The only Maverick rear shock is the ML7.2 air version as it's the 4" bolt on rear shock.

DO IT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    banks is right on all counts - retire the m-bits shock, replace it with the 7.2 air shock and install the monolink upgrade. if your budget allows, go for the d-mount for the front der too.

all of these, as well as a fresh powder coat, breathed new life into my palomino!!

the above comments on air pressure in the 7.2 shock apply to the palomino too, i.e. try less than 90% of body weight.

ragetty

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Similar problem with Durance 07

I have a similar problem with my Durance 07 rear shock.

Suspension seems to be active for the first several minutes during a ride but then gradually becomes stiffer and stiffer especially after riding flat or road sections, as if the shock had high compression damping switched on or seals were very stiff. Adjustment makes little difference. I've done only about 6 hours on the bike and understand that perhaps some parts need bedding in but the suspension action is always OK at the beginning and "wooden" when I come back home. I had the same impression riding M8L for a while but due to more linear feel and more travel it wasn't so pronounced.

I apprieciate that everyone is polite here and Etnah is extremaly helpful but it doesn't change the fact that there's certainly a problem either with a design of the shock or factory settings or rider's weight range. Considering how simple the design is, it should all work properly at the first place after pumping it up and adjusting rebound, without hours spent on fidling with it or reading forum posts, especially at the price one pays.
    I also think that advice about running lower pressure misses the point, since pressure should be determined by SAG that one requires for particular riding style or terrain, not the other way round. It just doesn't adress the real problem.

The last thought I have is that maybe the system, due to its low air volume, isn't really well siutable for heavier riders. I'm 200-210 lbs with a gear... Or is it possible that seals are movement/heat sensetive and get stiffer after riding road or flat sections and get stiffer???

Members who have read this thread: 0