mtbr member
    Dec 2005

ML-8 and DUC 36 Updates

Ethan - Any new information you can give us on the new ML-8 models (not the Naked one) and DUC 36? Specs, timing of release, etc.?

It's the axle
    It sounds like the DUC36cf is headed for a late release. I am totally totally impatiently waiting for one. When I spoke with Mav engineering, they said things were going slower than they wanted, and to expect a 2009 release.

mtbr member

Duc 36 Cf

OK Ok I'll give!
    So we have just received 2 usable carbon uppers for test. The biggest delay is have changes done to the carbon mold. Everything has to be just right, 4 axis' aligned the bushing bore perfect along with thickness and weave direction. The process is more time consuming than imagined. On that note, we are having some things adjusted on the next run of 18-20 uppers.
    This might be some weeks down the road! Once these are in and usable, the full test run can proceed. So far they feel awesome. We have them set at 165mm travel and it feels like 190mm! The fore/aft stiffness is outrageous. None of that twangyness of a standard style long travel fork, just instantaneous movement. The cool thing of the carbon is its ability to not bend. An issue with the alloy version is if you catch the bar just right in a crash, the fork can twist, not so on the carbon, well than it will break you say, the strength over alloy has proven itself pretty well.
    So all in all, we have a ways to go and the 2009 intro date looks to be the timing of this. You know its like fine wine, it just takes time.
    As for the ML8, no new frame changes for this year and nothing to announce for 09 product, they don't show me everything!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Gracias Senior!

Just let me know if you need any test pilots to run the new fork through the ringers on Colorado's front range! I am always happy to help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any idea how big a head tube/headset stack height will be accommodated by a DUC 36? I'd just love it to have a few mm more than the 172mm on the DUC32.

mtbr member
    Well don't hold me to this, but I believe there are plans to make a X-tall crown. This will go up to 187mm total stack height. With the xtra travel and stronger overall fork the taller crown is a needed item. Seems like todays frames are either monster tall headstacks, with the DH bikes and more variety of frames or super small headstacks with the 29er revolution!

Track Junkie
    There was a carbon fiber DUC 36 rolling around at Sea Otter a couple weeks ago...

-B
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

No, that's not phonetic
    Significant changes to the damper? Please??
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

locked - time out
    PICTURES??? Is there a travel adjust on the new 36? What is the range? Will the seals on the new fork be better / less leakage?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

mtbr member

Duc36

Some updates for yall!
    First of all lets set it straight again on the introduction date. At this point there is still none!
    "We will introduce no fork till its time"!! No really, our focus is still current production of frames and forks. The 36 is still in prototype stages.
    Damper will be completely different. Still easy to work on but have a fully adjustable rebound range and compression on the outside. Then still have internal adjustments, but need to be messed with less. A sneak peak on the air side reveals a new super cool lowering mode. This will give the fork the same plush feel lowered or not. Range at this times looks to be 2" lowering capabilities, but infinite within that range.We have a single proto version of this and appears to be the ultimate DUC! At this time we have not fully discussed the overall travel, most likely it will hit at 165mm and be able to do 180mm, but as a separate unit.
    Seals are being discussed right now, how we still make it fully user serviceable, low stiction and prevent seeping... tough one! I'll try to get some photos, its always gone!

It's the axle
    YES!

As evidenced by the time between when you posted, Ethan, and my reply, you can see just how anxious I am for this fork. (Could this be a neurosis?)

I was concerned about the design of the height adjustment. I think you guys are doing it right. Bravo.

I needed this update. I'm sitting here awaiting the verdict in a law suit. The neighbors don't want us logging my own property. I'm just making bike trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0