mtbr member

ML 7.2 Shock rebuilt

Hi I am trying to rebuild an ML7.2 rear shock and I need a hypodermic needle pump adapter and slotted allen/hex key. Does anyone know where to get these. Maverick/Ethan does not have any.

From Maverick manual:
    "Pressurize the Damper to 125psi using the Hypodermic needle attached to a std shock pump. The Set screw should be loose when inserting the needle, and tightened using the special slotted hex key before removing the needle. After removing the needle, fully tighten the setscrew."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Hi I am trying to rebuild an ML7.2 rear shock and I need a hypodermic needle pump adapter and slotted allen/hex key. Does anyone know where to get these. Maverick/Ethan does not have any.

From Maverick manual:
    "Pressurize the Damper to 125psi using the Hypodermic needle attached to a std shock pump. The Set screw should be loose when inserting the needle, and tightened using the special slotted hex key before removing the needle. After removing the needle, fully tighten the setscrew."
    Forget it, remove the screw and the rubber seal. With a Dremel, make a 3mm hole on the side of the attachment boss (at the bottom) and forget the seringue The IFP chamber is now inflated by the pressure of the main body, the sensitivity is increased.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Thank You. That crossed my mind since the latest dampers are pressurized this way but I am not sure of the exact location to drill the 3mm hole.
    The round groove on the attachment boss where the set screws hold the damper?
    If so when installing do you have to careful that the set screw does not plug the hole?

Also what effect does the increased air pressure in the damper have in set up and feel of the suspension. Firmer?
    I run 180psi in the air chamber so I assume that that would be the pressure in the damper.
    Do you use less or more oil in the damper?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Thank You. That crossed my mind since the latest dampers are pressurized this way but I am not sure of the exact location to drill the 3mm hole.
    The round groove on the attachment boss where the set screws hold the damper?
    If so when installing do you have to careful that the set screw does not plug the hole?

Also what effect does the increased air pressure in the damper have in set up and feel of the suspension. Firmer?
    I run 180psi in the air chamber so I assume that that would be the pressure in the damper.
    Do you use less or more oil in the damper?
    the picture !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ML 7.2 Shock rebuilt-toto.jpg  

Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Thanks I will give it a try.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Sorry for bumping this, But Alpamayo, could you do a detailed how-to for modding the IFP?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    Sorry for bumping this, But Alpamayo, could you do a detailed how-to for modding the IFP?
    Ouah ... long time ago.
    You do not modify the IFP (Internal Floating Piston), but the attachement boss. Simple. remove the set screw and nitro membrane, then drill two small holes with a dremel (max 3mm diameter) as indicated on the picture.
    Anyway, I do prefer to keep the nitro membrane and air pressure inside the IFP chamber. Using an hypodermic needle (0.7mm) and a the alen key is not so difficult. You just need the adapter for HP pump / hypodermic needle and the special 4mm alen key.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder