zombie freerider

Max tire size on DUC?

Okay, I know tire size has been hashed out on other threads but I never felt like I got a good answer as to what the biggest tire possible is on a DUC32. Right now I'm running a Nobby Nic 2.25 UST and would like to get something a bit bigger. BTW, I'm only interested in tubeless (non-ghetto) tires.

Recently I tried a RQ 2.4 UST and felt the buzz of the tread when I came off a jump Thankfully it didn't lock up and I've learned my lesson: take out all the air of the fork and check clearance BEFORE the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a Surly Larry 3.8 on a 46mm rim (26er) and a WTB Kodiak 2.5 (29er) on a Velocity P35 rim. No rubbing so you should be good. I do have the fork set up for 29er mode on both wheel setups. If it does rub the bottom of the H part of the fork you may want to buy the 29er spacers and cut them down to avoid loosing too much travel.

Just a thought.

zombie freerider
    I always realize I could have been more specific after the fact on emails/posts,etc. I'm running my DUC in stock 26" mode and I want the full 6 inches of travel on it. The rim I'm using is a mavic 823, if that even makes a difference. Anything else I'm forgetting?

Schipperkes are cool.
    26"wheel you can use anything 2.35" aka Nevagal, Eskar, Baracuda. Some 2.4" are huge= specy Purgatory and some 2.5 are smaller.

Now depending on the tire pressure and real size of the tire you can have crown buz; Rubber Queen/Trail King is famous for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    even the RQ 2.2 will touch the fork in a static test, although i've never experienced it while actually riding the bike. a schwalbe big betty may give the same result, while a maxxis advantage 2.4 is definately too tall.

the quickest solution is simply to put some more oil in on the air side of the fork, thus beefing up the progression toward full travel.

if you don't need the full 150mm, one option is to trim down the 29'er spacers to just 5 to 8mm (depending on the intended tyre). i'm going to be doing this soon for this exact same reason, but also so that i can occassionally run a 650b rim & kenda 650b nevegal tyre up front. seeing as my durance has 140mm, loosing a few mm at the front is not that much of an issue, i think ...

ragetty

mtbr member
    Maybe going to a wider rim? I am thinking about going from my Mavic XM819 to a Velocity P35 to widen the front tire profile. The inner width of the 819 is 19mm versus 29mm on the P35, so I am hoping that will help quite a bit to lower the tire height and at the same time widen the tire profile significantly. Luckily, tire width is a total non-issue on the DUC

Only thing holding me back on the P35...I am not sure how well/secure it works with UST bead tires or when used non-UST tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzywater
    Maybe going to a wider rim? I am thinking about going from my Mavic XM819 to a Velocity P35 to widen the front tire profile.

Only thing holding me back on the P35...I am not sure how well/secure it works with UST bead tires or when used non-UST tubeless.
    i would not be too certain that a wider rim will make the tyre less tall - if anything, a narrow rim pulls the bead IN to the centre line, thus pulling the tread down closer to the rim ...

i've read good things about the P35 used tubeless over in the 650b forum - although most of the builds seem to be ghetto tubeless ...

ragetty

zombie freerider
    Good ideas. I'll try adding a bit of oil or add part of a 29er spacer to get a bit more clearance. I think the DUC is the perfect fork for the Durance... on the ML8 I'd hate to increase the difference in travel even more (between the front and the back) but I suppose 8 mils won't kill me and it's not like it's lowering the a2c.

Once these Nics wear out I'll go for a maybe some Nevegals 2.35. Would it be uber lame to run a clearance test at a bike shop and only buy it if it passes the test?

mtbr member
    my 2.35" 650b nevegal is not as tall (tyre alone, not tyre + wheel) or as volumious as my RQ 2.2", so a 26'er will probably fit the DUC32 without issue ...

ragetty

MHC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've used Maxxis Hi roller 2.5s on 819s with Duc32s with zero problems.