A Surly Maverick

New question here. Maverick Rear Suspension Question.

Hi Guys,
    can you please help me with (another) question?

What is/are the differences between the shock + rear triangles of the ML7 and ML8 that change the travel from 4 to 6" ?

Are they the same, but with different shock internals or are they `specific` for the frames ?

Many thanks,
    Dr FG
    Last edited by Dr Feelygood !; 12-17-2010 at 05:56 PM.
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    definately specific to the frames ...

the ml8 is an air-assisted coil shock, the whole geo of the rear triangle is (obviously) different ...

why the question?

ragetty

A Surly Maverick

mtbr member
    ok - but where would the ml8 fit in?

you want to use the ml8 internals in the klein/ml7 shock?!? - definate no go, i'm afraid ...

the newer 'bodied' shocks are set-up for the larger air volume and for a different leverage ratio, the ml8 shock also has a longer stroke.

is the aim to get more travel or just more 'modern' suspension?

ragetty

A Surly Maverick
    The ML8 doesn`t fit in `at the moment`, but I like to think of FUTURE projects

The `fattening` of the Palomino is the current aim

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood !
    The ML8 doesn`t fit in `at the moment`, but I like to think of FUTURE projects

The `fattening` of the Palomino is the current aim
    Don't know how you can fattened an ML8 rear as it's one piece. but I'll be subscribing your thread for future reference

Hey Dr.FG Any solution on fitting the 650b in there

mtbr member
    May 2006
    an ml8 rear will bolt up to a durance front.. dont ask me how i know, its something im not terribly proud of. Needless to say the bottom bracket clearance was off the chart...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone know what other rears will bolt to what frames? I have often been curious about this.

Got any pics of it? I actually like high bottom brackets, but I am curious how the geometry and travel are affected.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It was barely shiftable and pretty much un-rideable. It put the D mount in a very bad place and the shock rate just plain didnt work. Rode it around the parking lot a few times then tore it down. I think the headtube ended up being like 73 or 74 degrees. Come to think of it, i think i needed to take a file to the downtube lug corners as well. 100% not worth doing.

All matic and durance rears are interchangeable. and all ml8's rears are interchangeable but in all cases when changing out the rear triangle, watch out for clearance issues between the mono-link and the "ears" on the downtube lug and rear triangle lug under full motion (ie fully compressed and fully extended)

The 2008 and newer ml8 rear gives you just a skosh more travel but in my opinion its not worth the trouble of switching. However the 2008 and newer ml8 did have more tire clearance.

I dont think a durance/matic rear will fit on a palomino but i might be wrong. In either case i think it would be pretty nasty to ride.