Sore butt
    Aug 2006

Maverick rear shock and my body weight

So I have a 2005 Klein Palomino...

Just got my rear Maverick shock rebuilt from Maverick. Now the front derailleur (brand new Shimano XT) is not shifting down to the lowest chainring when my weight is on the bike. I take my weight off the bike and then it shifts just fine. Is this a flaw? Does the derailleur need adjustment?

By the way I have little mechanical experience with bikes.

Schipperkes are cool.
    How much sag do you have in the rear shock? Pressure?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Sore butt
    Aug 2006
    My weight sags the shock all the way down. I did air the shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    On the older Monolink bikes, Palomino and Maverick ML7, the front shifting could be finicky, especially if your setup uses the Shimano E-Type front derailleur (built in mounting plate attached to the bottom bracket). I have a 2001 ML7 and it originally came with a Magnesium Monolink and XTR E-Type front derailleur (M950, I think). The best way I found to adjust it was to let all of the air out of the shock and then lean on the seat to compress the shock as I set the inner throw and attached the cable with a little tension on it. Then when the shock was aired up and I was riding the shifting down to the granny ring was very good. It took a lot of trial and error but I eventually got it took work.

There was a later upgrade to the Monolink which requires the use of a Maverick D-Mount and Shimano R773 front derailleur. The newr model is alloy and the bottom bracket (and front derailleur) are in a different position. I made the change on my bike and the shifting is flawless and super easy to set up. If you have the older style Monolink you can get the upgraded one from Ethan Franklin (mavericksuspension@gmail.com) along with the D-Mount and front derailleur. Or sometimes, every once in awhile, you'll see them listed on eBay.

Good luck!

Schipperkes are cool.
    Measure the rear shock, while seated with all your riding gear & fully hydration bag, from the Center of top mounting bolt to the Bottom of the knurled seal head ring, should be a Minimum of 80mm to a Maximum of 90mm. Then record it somewhere so you know the starting point; on the body of the shock next to the valve for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.