Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Maverick moves on....

Et All,

Its time for me to post a short message regarding Maverick. As of Jan 1st Maverick has ceased operations. Paul Turner has reclaimed the brand and licenses. What he will do with it remains up in the air, some rumors have floated around but none for me to add to! I don't think the technology will disappear, it's too good and other manufactures are looking for ways to beat their competition.

As for Me, I have been in the process of restarting the small parts and full service/repair end. This will be my own gig and not associated with Maverick of the past. The previous owners (Mike & Chris) have generously made this happen for me and Maverick owners can take solace that parts and service will be around. I've been with Maverick for about 7 years and see that the products are worth keeping going and even make better with detailed expertise.

The Location of this small en devour is still up in the air, but most likely will be in the same location just next door, at least for a while. Once this has been finalized I will re-post with the new address, e-mail and phone number. Not fully set on a name, but Maverick Suspension Center ( MSC ) is looking good right now.

Supplying other suspension service places with parts may be difficult for the time being as there are limited supply of certain pieces. I would try to do my best to help a couple of them as they have been helpful to me in the past. Stay tuned on that...

While this has been a sad time for us, closing of the doors, it also opens up new doors and adventures. Bicycles have been a passion of mine for a long time, so no great need to get a real job (yet!). Stay tuned, tell your friends about the news and not to fret!

About riding another brands, got to try everything! What it has shown me is how good Maverick bikes are and can still, with little change, hold their own in today's market. Had we had our wish things would have been updated and taken advantage of today's technologies but wasn't in the cards, we tried and tried really we did, but...!

Thanks, Ethan

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    WOW!! - And I just discovered Maverick about 6 months ago. Now I have two ML8's and an ML7 and 4 DUC's. I was planning on going Maverick crazy. I still want a DUC36 and an ML9 if that was going to be the new niner and I still hope it will be.

I am just a recreational mountain biker but like the technology of the Maverick.

I think I will start to go WFO on my modified DUC32. I pushed it yesterday and it felt good.

mtbr member
    Hmmm.. I feel a new thread may be forthcoming for people to throw in possible names for Ethan's new business venture! "Strut Your Stuff Suspension".. no that's no good... "Mono-knockers"....well, you get my point. Good luck Ethan. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I've been following your posts and input for a loooong time. Just haven't started posting on here until recently.

A Surly Maverick
    Ethan,
    I wish you all the very best in your new venture

As a Palamino/Duc32/SC32 owner I appreciate your continued efforts.

Thanks again for the advice regarding the Hammerschmidt adaptor plate

Cheers,
    Dr FG
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Ethan I ( and a lot more readers) want to thank you for all your good service and advice. If we (your readers) can be of any assistance to you please let us know. Keep on posting!!

Will you be able to sell us some odd and end parts (eg. o-rings/rebuilt kits) to keep our rear shocks and forks going?

How is the Ibis HD in comparison to the ML8?

ride
    Good luck Ethan. I'm sure you'll do well out there!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

ali'i hua
    Ethan:

sent you a PM for contact info- i'm in need of a bolt for my seven duo.

also, if it's ok with the mods, maybe you can put up the contact info here for the masses?

thanks

(yet another) Ethan

mtbr member
    We turn the page but we don't close the book, a new chapter is being writing !!!!
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sad news, glad it's finally out in the public domain though.

Good luck Ethan - I'll be in touch, no doubt!

mtbr member
    good luck from me too

my durance is staying with me, so i'll be sure to push what i can your way in terms of business !!

cheers ... ragetty

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    seems that alpamayo knew/knows more than ordinary maverick owners/fans. so i am keen on reading new chapter, hope they will not write it too long

ethan good luck.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    fvck fvck fvck!! ugh!!! Unfortunately,I had a bad feeling this was gonna happen-especially when summer came and passed w/no new 29'er or carbon duc.I still love my ML8,but will prob sell it asap before parts become unavail(despite what Ethan says) Thanks for making a rockin' bike(s) that still kick ass when compared w/the latest technology.I think the duc was Mav's best product-to this day no one else makes a sub 4lb 6" travel dual crown fork that is like buttah! Such a shame about that carbon Duc.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ethan I would just like to say thanks. I got plenty of great help from you. My family is totally full of mavericks and we will miss them in the future. (ML8, ML7.5, ML7, Palomino x2, DUC x 3, sc32 x1).

The DUC is definitely too good to lose. I look forward to seeing whatever happens in the future. I have to admit I am sad, but I figured this would be the outcome since the DUC went out of production and the DUC36 never managed to make it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'll join the others in wishing you well in you future business project, Ethan. You always answered my questions promptly and honestly. As I need spare parts, I'll be sure to let you know. I was really hoping Mav would develop the promised 29'er, but I'll have to be satisfied with the Matic I have now.
    Best of luck.

Conrad

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's a pisser. Best of luck in the future!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sorry to hear this...I currently have a ML7 & looking to buy an ML8. Would this be a wise investment? Definitely one of the best bikes I've ever ridden.

zombie freerider
    Sorry to hear this...I currently have a ML7 & looking to buy an ML8. Would this be a wise investment? Definitely one of the best bikes I've ever ridden.
    There's probably a lot of people in a better position to answer this than me but I would suppose that the shops with mechanics who've sold and serviced Maverick bikes still have many of the parts and knowledge! to keep you going for quite a while and would be happy to help you out. I know a bunch in CO... Plus whatever Ethan is able to put together for the future supply of parts, etc.

mtbr member
    I knew it!!!

Glad I bought my Fox 180 and didn't wait for the SUCK36.

Bahahahahaha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post

Don't waste your money. Purchase a bike that will have support. Reguardless of what Ethan says there is no guarantee parts will still be available in 6 month let alone the next 7 years.

Plus the Maverick Suspension is terrible. Especially that rearend. Seriously..
    Please explain how rear suspension that is integrated with the BB is suposed to be active.
    Especailly when you are standing out of the saddle on a downhill?

The answer is it isn't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE View Post
    Don't waste your money. Purchase a bike that will have support. Reguardless of what Ethan says there is no guarantee parts will still be available in 6 month let alone the next 7 years.

Please explain how rear suspension that is integrated with the BB is suposed to be active.

The answer is it isn't.
    Troll...

MK_
    carpe mańana
    Hey Ethan, sad news! I suppose it was a long time comin'; the brand was just put putting for some time. Good luck in your new venture!

Cheers.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

rebmem rbtm
    Thank you for all the time you put into this forum and the brand. I'm keeping my Durance so make sure you get your contact info out.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I knew it!!!

Glad I bought my Fox 180 and didn't wait for the SUCK36.

Bahahahahaha.
    It's dick's like you that Maverick never wanted as customers, man that was fun to say and I'll say no more, not worth my time for a name-less punk! (not working for a company can be fun sometimes)

Thanks to all the rest for the kind words. Maverick has/had thousands and thousands of customers all over the world and understand how good their products have been.

As I gather more information I'll post it asap!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    It's dick's like you that Maverick never wanted as customers, man that was fun to say and I'll say no more, not worth my time for a name-less punk! (not working for a company can be fun sometimes)

Thanks to all the rest for the kind words. Maverick has/had thousands and thousands of customers all over the world and understand how good their products have been.

As I gather more information I'll post it asap!
    It's customers like me that knew better than to buy Maverick junk.
    Glad you can finally show your true colors.

Happy 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's customers like me that knew better than to buy Maverick junk.
    Glad you can finally show your true colors.

Happy 2012
    Sounds like you never rode one.
    Once you ride a Maverick, a lotta other designs seem crappy. All you have to do is ride off one curb. Then you know.

I'll admit, it looks funny, but if you want a good ride, go Maverick!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
    Sounds like you never rode one.
    Once you ride a Maverick, a lotta other designs seem crappy. All you have to do is ride off one curb. Then you know.

I'll admit, it looks funny, but if you want a good ride, go Maverick!!!!
    Rode them. Watched people work on them. Discontinued selling them.

If they are so great, why are they closing their doors. C'mon, think about it. Think about it real hard.

T.W.O.
    toHELLuRide, just to make sure I gave you the neg rep. Like I said, there's a time and place for your comment, this is not the place. If you want to bash Maverick then start your own thread elsewhere.

I found Maverick products to be innovative and worthy of my hard earned money. It's as competitive as many other products out there.

I also want to credit Maverick to the awesome trend in Adjustable seatpost. It's not the first but certainly the one that make the big wave. It's certainly similar to the impact that iPhone made to the smart phone market.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    The one positive thing(if there is one) about Mav shutting it's doors is that our little troll friend above (Nice screen name btw,where did you ever come up w/SUCH an original name?)
    will have to find another brand to bash.Hmm,468 posts and a rep power of "0"...that says it all little man.
    And regarding your remark about if they are so great,why are they closing their doors really shows your intellectual ineptness.Think about it T-ride.Think about it real hard.....

T.W.O.
    To Ethan, Thanks for all your help. You and Chris have made a Maverick fan out of me with your help. You went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure my positive experience. I really appreciate that.

I wish you well in your future business and looking forward to continue doing business with you.

Albert,

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Maverick was an interesting brand that thought differently. I only recently bought my first Maverick fork (SC32 on a Whyte). Was going to say my first Maverick product but remembered i've been using the CB Joplin (Maverick Speedball) for 2 years! Thanks Maverick for your interesting designs... they may not have been as reliable as some other brands but they were way ahead in so many ways. I'm sorry to see this thread.

Still not got round to servicing that fork either, hope i'll still be able to!

mtbr member
    The ML8: It does it all. Hopefully drop out hangers and front derailleur post thing-a-ma-jigs will still be available as needed.

It's time for a road trip
    Dec 2011
    Good luck, Ethan. The one time I stopped by b/c I needed some help with a Maverick fork, you dropped what you were doing to take care of it. That's service that goes way above and beyond, and I'll be sending anyone I know of with Maverick stuff your way.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ethan was one of the people I definitely remember helping me out with my duc32. I have owned two and kept one and he was great, and like many others on here are glad that he still has something to do with what is left of the company. Thanks my friend, thanks for changing my seals and changing the oil, thanks for being good to your customers, and thanks for wanting to make sure mavericks riders can still have a way to get parts.

mtbr member
    Sad news, I dont own a Maverick but was eyeing them closely for a 6" travel bike. Maybe they will will resurface like Titus did when they closed their doors? Didn't the same thing happen to Race Face and some of the employees bought the company out. Seems like too strong of a brand to just go by the wayside.

mtbr member

Well put...

Maverick Bikes Closes For Business | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com

Chris Lesser of Mountain Bike writes a nice blurb.

While I'm not the person to make anything "official" it was time to tell and start my own road.
    Maverick as we all knew over the past few years came to a close, the Maverick name and technologies are still with P. Turner and may come back in some way shape or form!
    I just do not see myself and many many others stopping riding Mavericks because the name has been put to bed for a little while. So here's a good opportunity to help and make it on my own!
    I've just secured a lease on a small space in Denver for the biz, right across from Generic Cycles (Generic Cycles 2011) should be a good location for all.
    More info to follow.

3.14159265358979323846…
    No tears shed here. Last year when I called Maverick for parts to repair my SC32 i was treated horribly on the phone. I repaired the fork and have since washed my hands (and cleared my garage) of Maverick products.

Ethan I have dealt with you in the past and have always appreciated your help and willingness to talk me through a repair. I hope your company does flourish. I hope Mr Turner can bring the company back to what it once was.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Thanks again for all your hard work over the years Ethan.And best of luck in your new venture!!

Robby114
    Apr 2009
    Thank you for the notification Ethan. I count on James at Full Cycle to keep my ML8 alive. I know the front fork will need some tender love soon so I may very well need your services.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    Maverick Bikes Closes For Business | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com

Chris Lesser of Mountain Bike writes a nice blurb.

While I'm not the person to make anything "official" it was time to tell and start my own road.
    Maverick as we all knew over the past few years came to a close, the Maverick name and technologies are still with P. Turner and may come back in some way shape or form!
    I just do not see myself and many many others stopping riding Mavericks because the name has been put to bed for a little while. So here's a good opportunity to help and make it on my own!
    I've just secured a lease on a small space in Denver for the biz, right across from Generic Cycles (Generic Cycles 2011) should be a good location for all.
    More info to follow.
    sounds gooooood !!!
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

The answer is it isn't.

If they are so great, why are they closing their doors. C'mon, think about it. Think about it real hard.
    To the clowns like LoserRide, what bike company do you own? In fact, have you ever owned a company? I guess it is easy for anybody to be a tough guy on the Web..so f'ing sad....you sound like one of those could'a, would'a, should'a dorks...normally I stay of blogs because of dorks like you, but I don't like losers trashing my friends...if I hear your name at a race or event, I'll be sure to hello

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Auggyandme View Post
    To the clowns like LoserRide, what bike company do you own? In fact, have you ever owned a company? I guess it is easy for anybody to be a tough guy on the Web..so f'ing sad....you sound like one of those could'a, would'a, should'a dorks...normally I stay of blogs because of dorks like you, but I don't like losers trashing my friends...if I hear your name at a race or event, I'll be sure to hello
    Perhaps ToHell worked at a shop. You don't have to own a company to have been selling, riding, and repairing a Maverick.

Though ToHELL may be a bit abrasive with his comments I completely agree with the performance or lack there of that he mentions with Mavericks.

Kinda bummed to not see the Carbon 36 make it to full production buit then again it's likely for the best.

Good luck on you future endevors Ethan.
    Last edited by crisillo; 01-31-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: name calling

mtbr member
    Ethan, it's reassuring that you're putting together an "MSC" and I hope that it and/or however you need to expand scope to keep it going, will be around for a while. I know my Brown DUC will be, and I may need your excellent advice and skills again, sometime.

That fella at Mountainbike did write a nice piece. Well done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Thank You Maverick

Hello Everyone,

I've been at Maverick in an engineering role since 2006. I started in document control, and worked my way up to a design role just before the sale in 2008. More recently I worked under owners Mike Swafford and Chris Russum as Lead Design Engineer.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of our loyal customers and fans. You were our inspiration on this bumpy, rocky, dirty ride. I'd also like to thank all of our sponsored racers over the years. You've shown that our simple suspension design could be competitive against the latest and greatest. I'd like to thank the company ownership- PT, FV, Mike, and Chris. You are the best people I've had the pleasure of working for. And Ethan- the perennial Maverick torch bearer. You've been a top level mechanic and customer service rep, but more importantly, you've readily supplied design insight and creative ideas from your finely tuned bike senses and years of riding.

My contribution to this thread is in the intention of sharing some things that haven’t been conveyed here, or in the various blog articles making their way around the web. Over the last year and a half we’ve been working overtime to develop what we feel are the best frames and forks in the business. We’ve addressed the criticism- front shifting, suspension while standing, geometry, color, smell- you name it.

I’d like to take you to a place between the bars and the saddle of a prototype 29-inch wheeled, 5.5-inch travel Maverick on one of its first shakedown runs on the Longhorn Trail in White Ranch Park. Locals will know this trail as steep, rocky, and loose, with healthy exposure and lots of surprises. In other words, the perfect testing ground. I accelerated down the trail past a sign declaring “Steep Trail Sections Ahead”, with no choice but to trust this new steed. This bike was a pile of tubing and home-cnc’d lugs just the week before, and Ethan and I had pulled some long hours getting her on wheels. The calculations said it should ride well, the FEA said it wouldn’t break, and the welder is a master of his craft. But this is the unknown- the real world. This is where the world’s finest frames fail JRA (Just Riding Along).

As soon as I came to the first water bar laden switchback I knew we were on to something. The big 2.3 tire up front, in conjunction with the Carbon DUC36, laid the bike into a precisely ripping arc through the corner. The rear tracked closely behind, thanks to our obsession with short (17.25”) chain stays and active suspension. A re-arrangement of the MonoLink/BB geometry meant that drops into rocky sections felt plush and bottomless, yet as many fans here can imagine, our suspension system kept the ride efficient on the trail’s many climbs. This bike was far better than I expected. In fact it is still my favorite. It even had a Shimano M986-D front derailleur!

The reasons you can’t buy this bike in 2012 are simple and few, and most small bike companies are struggling with these same pitfalls. Many of these business models are traditionally built on large capital expenditure on tooling and production costs. Testing, certification, and R&D aren’t cheap either. A company the size of Maverick could not afford to cough up the lump sums for 50% of production runs, nor could we afford the inevitable delays that pushed product delivery past the peak selling season. We ran the numbers on US-based, and even in-house production models, but in the end, the ends just wouldn’t meet.

What does the future hold? None of us know for sure. I’ve taken a “real” job in the water control industry, while moonlighting for the Steelie project, mentioned on the Bicycling blog. Ethan will be around to continue providing his unrivaled Maverick tuning and upgrade service. But bikes are in our blood, and some of these ideas were too good to just let die. I’m not promising anything here today, but if I were a betting man…

And “toHELLuRIDE”, I’d like to add that all entities- people, places, and even small bike companies are judged by their supporters as well as their detractors. Your disappointing display of character here should ease the minds of Maverick’s many supporters. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but very few choose to sneer at the demise of an underdog working hard to succeed.

Andy Emanuel
    (former) Maverick Engineering

mtbr member
    Hi Andy,

Good to read you, hope to ride again at Grand Junction in 2012 ... should be in Colorado in September

Patrice
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Andy and other maverick folks.
    I wish we could see some pictures of what might have been even if it is never to be. So keep some around

It is rather easy to think about. They had ridiculously awesome customer service for one. Loaned tools, fixed other companies mistakes. None of that was free. They did not discriminate against those who bought their products used which means they got no money from a new sale and still offered their expertise for free. There are many great companies that close their doors and many mediocre companies and downright bad ones that continue. If this was a publicly traded companies it would judged solely on profit for shareholders and the quality of the bikes would be completely irrelevant.
    Last edited by sxotty; 01-19-2012 at 05:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Just want to add my best wishes to those involved with Maverick on future endeavors As stated by shimstack there are few who sneer at the demise of a company large or small, or the misfortune of anyone. I hate to see the small guys go they add value to the industry and they give options to those wishing to ride a different trail.

Good luck boys and girls, keep riding, keep building, keep creating.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ethan, Andy, good luck to both of you. The two years I spent working with you and the Mav crew was life changing. Never met a more passionate group of guys who wanted to just do the right thing regardless of the effect on the bottom line. If you arent in the industry its hard to appreciate how difficult of a road Maverick chose to go on. Design your own frame... and fork and rear suspension, and then just for fun, put in a unique seatpost, stem, hub. Then try to get them manufactured at companies that would much rather make ten thousand Felt road frames in a day instead of your one time run of 300 frames in 6 different sizes and 4 different colors with unique machining requirements and non standard geometry(how do I make a triangle if theres no bottom bracket to start from) Then try to get the attention of the magazines with your non-existant marketing budget in an industry that moves a shock mount a quarter of a inch then hypes up their newest frame as being drastically improved while you are just slowly making invisible improvements to the product you still even ten years after it came out, think is one of the best on the market. Oh yeah, and do all that with a crew of 5-6 people while companies like specialized and fox do it with dozens(hundreds) of engineers and sales staff. Or you can compete with the small guys(titus, intense, ibis, tomac) who can leverage all of the knowledge of fox on their products just by placing an order for a few hundred shocks. With none of the liability of when that shock does blow up(which they all do, Maverick, Fox, whoever) It was a tough road that ended up making some of the most revolutionary products on the market. Ill ride my ML-8 in pride.. And if the day comes that its no longer rideable,(well, unlikely as most any problem can be fixed with a screw driver, a wrench and a trip to the hardware store) Ill continue to support the small guy.. A specialized Enduro is a fabulous riding bike, but theres more passion put into the building of a Maverick bike, then a hundred Specialized Enduros. And you have to respect that over just about anything.

rebmem rbtm
    Andy's post caused me to reflect a bit on my own life. I once worked 80 hours a week to build my own business and found success. Over time some things changed and I lost it all. I will say to the Maverick folks, stay positive! It is possible to have several careers over a lifetime and there is a legacy of many happy owners of Maverick bikes.

Today I feel good that I purchased my frame new from Chris and I will continue to enjoy it as long as I can.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Sad news. I was lucky enough not only to visit Maverick in 2001 but my shop was one of only 2 in the UK chosen to stock them The ML7 "It" was the best full sus I have ever ridden...a hardtail with 4.5" of cush.

I wish all the former employees the best in the future and hope to see something amazing come out the mind of Paul Turner some time soon!

Slainte!

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca View Post
    I will say to the Maverick folks, stay positive! It is possible to have several careers over a lifetime and there is a legacy of many happy owners of Maverick bikes.
    This is the truth, been there done that. Have made three major career changes in my life and you learn to see whats important in life and what is not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast