mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Maverick ML8 front mech

Hi,

I am about to buy an ML-8 (I have found new frames for 799!! so I can't resist), but what I wanted to know was can you use the Shimano E-Type front mechs as opposed to the road style braze on mounts with the D-adapter?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=3408

I am really looking forward to getting on my fully built up bike, I've got all the other components I need just wanted to check on the front mech before I order one.

Thanks,

Alex

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I cant tell you, but I would wait till someone who knows can. Otherwise why not just purchase the front der that Maverick recommends?

NADS Member #1
    Jan 2007

Front Mech

E-Type CANNOT be used on ML 8 frame. You must use D-Mount w/Shimano R-773 (Flat bar road triple braze on frt der.)

mtbr member
    What Dennis said!
    Also, look in the frame manual on the Maverick web site.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Can get away with any 9/10 speed Braze on Triple ring roadie front mech. I have a 9spd 105 front mech on my Mav, have also seen Ultegra and Dura-Ace used fine.

Though the R773 does work better as it was designed for use with flat bar shifters rather than roadie STI's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    OK, thanks for all the replies, I have found this which I guess is more than suitable for the job. I assume running a 9sp chain with it won't be an issue?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=36826

Thanks again for the responses, I'll hopefully have the frame sometime next week, I can't wait!

Schipperkes are cool.
    The road Front Derailleur - 105-Ultegra-D/A FDs have a different lever ratio [due to the shifter lever being really long] which will cause a hell of a lot more pressure on the shifter, smaller lever arm when used with any mtb shifter; Not the way to go. I have seen X9 shifters fail due to the decreased leverage of the road FD.

The 9 speed flat bar road braze-on FD versions work better when paired with 'trigger shifters'; the R440 which was replaced by the R453 @ $40. 9spd front derailleurs have a wider cage profile then the 10 spd versions.

If you are using Grip Shift, you can run the 10spd versions with no problems. The R773 is 10spd, stock on the Maverick build kit and does work fine with trigger shifters, but is $60.

Do Not sub a 10spd chain!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well I have finally taken the plunge and ordered a large 2008 ML-8 hard ano frame for 799!! I should get it by the end of the week, I can't wait!

I'll need to strip down my current bike and transfer everything over so in the near future I will have a Cove Hustler frame and a 2008 Fox RP23 shock up for sale!

mtbr member
    Have fun with the new toy
    Remember that you will need a "campy" compatible headset (42mm O.D.). I recommend the FSA Orbit CF.
    I also recommend the Shimano R773 front der as its the higher grade product in their lineup.
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have ordered a R773 front mech and randomly when I bought my DUC32 forks the guy threw in an FSA Orbit CF integrated headset for free!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

It's finished!

So I took delivery of my frame on Friday and I have been building it up over the last few days and finally this evening it was finished! I took it out for a ride in the local woods and it felt so natural, really stable and much more 'flickable' than my old Hustler. The climbing was amazing though I was far less tired getting back from my usual loop than normal!

So far I am very impressed, next I will have to get it out on some more technical trials to really test it out. I've not really played with tuning the shock yet, just put in about the right air pressure and tweaked the rebound but still it feels amazing!

Very very happy

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I bought the same frame and the bottom of the front mech cage keeps picking up the chain when in the granny ring! Does anyone have this problem? Makes it very unuseable in the granny, even on fairly flat terrain, cannot use anything but the lowest gear (32t) in the granny.
    I should point out that on the only time I rode it the RS revs (brand new) blew the -ve air so front end waas very stiff.
    REvs back to fisher then....

Schipperkes are cool.
    Sounds like the FD is too high. Or you have too much sag in the rear suspension..
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Members who have read this thread: 0