Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maverick ML-7 - to live again?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bridgestone14 
#1 ·
Hi all - I have a ML7 from back in 2002. It is a Colorado built, blue anodized beauty. I got in an MC crash the month I finished building it and have been off bikes for past of the last 10 years... I am back:)

I originally built it with a shimano XTR group from the 1990's:rolleyes: and would like to update it... It has really low miles and has the updated rear shock and Dura ace front derailleur upgrades. I would like to update this to a SRAM XX 2X set up. Anyone done this? Can it be done? if so, a couple questions:

1. what q factor XX crankset should I use?

2. what bottom bracket?

Thanks in advance for your help!

#4 ·
I meant "back on a bike." Stupid spellchicker.

For what it's worth, a couple of years back I upgraded the original Magnesium MonoLink on my 2001 ML7 to the alloy version and switched to XTR970 cranks and the R773 front derailleur and D-Mount. Shifting is perfect and I have the gear range that I need (I don't have the lungs and legs for a 1x). Ethan set me up with everything.

#8 ·
could not be happier how this all turned out! 12 years...:)

the "addict" is now equipped with a SRAM XX drive train. I was able to adjust the Dura-ace triple to work perfectly with the XX crankset through using the Maverick supplied mount and Avid rolla thingie... added a few upgrades such as the the Blackspire chain guide but I don't see chain retention as a problem with the 2X system. The old drive train's achilles heel was the front derailleur...

I was planning on throwing down on a new full squishy - either a Yeti SB5C or Pivot Mach 4 27.5 ride... I still may go that route but for now - this does everything I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.