mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Maverick ML-7 - to live again?

Hi all - I have a ML7 from back in 2002. It is a Colorado built, blue anodized beauty. I got in an MC crash the month I finished building it and have been off bikes for past of the last 10 years... I am back

I originally built it with a shimano XTR group from the 1990's and would like to update it... It has really low miles and has the updated rear shock and Dura ace front derailleur upgrades. I would like to update this to a SRAM XX 2X set up. Anyone done this? Can it be done? if so, a couple questions:

1. what q factor XX crankset should I use?

2. what bottom bracket?

Thanks in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by heron163 View Post
    Hi all - I have a ML7 from back in 2002. It is a Colorado built, blue anodized beauty. I got in an MC crash the month I finished building it and have been off bikes for past of the last 10 years... I am back

I originally built it with a shimano XTR group from the 1990's and would like to update it... It has really low miles and has the updated rear shock and Dura ace front derailleur upgrades. I would like to update this to a SRAM XX 2X set up. Anyone done this? Can it be done? if so, a couple questions:

1. what q factor XX crankset should I use?

2. what bottom bracket?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Not sure what the answers are, but the absolute best person to contact with your questions would be Ethan Franklin. He used to work at Maverick and will get you headed in the right direction. Contact is ethan@mavericksuspension.com.

Welcome back, and kudos on your tenacity to get back on a back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nine speed XTR is great stuff (even 8) I will say keep it as is, well maybe update the brakes.

Ps: I run my ml-7 with XTR nine speed and I love it.

Ps2: sorry about your bad crash

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by g_henrys View Post
    Not sure what the answers are, but the absolute best person to contact with your questions would be Ethan Franklin. He used to work at Maverick and will get you headed in the right direction. Contact is ethan@mavericksuspension.com.

Welcome back, and kudos on your tenacity to get back on a back.
    I meant "back on a bike." Stupid spellchicker.

For what it's worth, a couple of years back I upgraded the original Magnesium MonoLink on my 2001 ML7 to the alloy version and switched to XTR970 cranks and the R773 front derailleur and D-Mount. Shifting is perfect and I have the gear range that I need (I don't have the lungs and legs for a 1x). Ethan set me up with everything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just FYI is a Maverick mast mount and derailleur for sale on Pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Just FYI is a Maverick mast mount and derailleur for sale on Pinkbike.
    thanks - I have one of those - I have the Dura-ace front derailleur installed.

Ethan quickly got me squared away - 166 q XX crankset, GXP bottom bracket. Everything is good... just a couple of more things...

mtbr member
    Well post some pictures of your first ride then. Glad to have you back on a bike.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    could not be happier how this all turned out! 12 years...

the "addict" is now equipped with a SRAM XX drive train. I was able to adjust the Dura-ace triple to work perfectly with the XX crankset through using the Maverick supplied mount and Avid rolla thingie... added a few upgrades such as the the Blackspire chain guide but I don't see chain retention as a problem with the 2X system. The old drive train's achilles heel was the front derailleur...

I was planning on throwing down on a new full squishy - either a Yeti SB5C or Pivot Mach 4 27.5 ride... I still may go that route but for now - this does everything I want.

mtbr member
    that is a great looking bike man. Love the classic easton stem. I hope it rips and you are getting some great riding in.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!