mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maverick frames and mechanical disc brake compatibility

Any Maverick owners out there running Avid mechanical disc brakes on their frames?

I just purchased a ML7 and I was going to transfer over my avid mechanical disc brakes from my hardtail but I am have issues with the cable saddles provided on the frame. It seems to me that inorder for the mechanical disc brakes to work properly I needed a standard cable stop intead of the provided saddle. I know that there are bolt-on accesories to convert normal cable stops to accept hydraulic brakes but are there any type of accesories to go the other way and make the saddles provided on the frame into normal cable stops?

Any one have any ideas.

Thanks
    Dan

Gentleman Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by dbsantacruz
    Any Maverick owners out there running Avid mechanical disc brakes on their frames?

I just purchased a ML7 and I was going to transfer over my avid mechanical disc brakes from my hardtail but I am have issues with the cable saddles provided on the frame. It seems to me that inorder for the mechanical disc brakes to work properly I needed a standard cable stop intead of the provided saddle. I know that there are bolt-on accesories to convert normal cable stops to accept hydraulic brakes but are there any type of accesories to go the other way and make the saddles provided on the frame into normal cable stops?

Any one have any ideas.

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan -

I recommend that you run full-length housing to the rear brake. On my ML-7, I run Avid Mechs with full-length Avid Flak Jacket housing.

Tom

Schipperkes are cool.
    Full housing is the only way to go, there are saddles to hold the housing, tighten a ziptie and off you go!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

I'm with Banks

Go full housing or go hydraulic.