mtbr member

maverick durance/hammerschmidt build ...

well, it's about time someone did one ...

mimi1885 has a thread for the duo build, so i thought i'd go one better and have a pure maverick durance/hammerschmidt build thread

i've got all the bits and pieces here - the bike to be revamped, an AM hammerschmidt, a modified monolink & adapter, tools, etc ...

it looks like the bike is going to gain around [EDIT] 700g net (around 1.56lbs)

• the HS itself weighs 1345g ... replacing a XTR 960 crank @, 710g
    • the bb weighs a whopping 295g ... replacing a XTR bb @ 90g
    • the adapter for the monolink weighs 60g ... replacing a d-mount + R773 @ 150g
    • the X0 shifter weighs 125g ... replacing a X9 shifter @ 125g

some further weight is saved with the modified monolink and because of the shorter chain (about 20g total).
    and contrary to popular belief, a X0 shifter does not weigh less than a X9.

i actually have no issue with the weight gain - i just saved 400g on the front wheel by switching out the conti RQ 2.4" UST for a normal RQ 2.2" + DIY-tubeless ... and soon another 100g by switching out the rear RQ 2.2" UST for the same as the front

i'll be taking banks' advice and running a medium (instead of short) cage X0 derailleur so that the chain clears the chainstay in the taller gears - i'll also try to optimise the chain length so that i'm making the most of the longer cage swing in the said gears too.

i've done a dry build on to the monolink and everything seems fine - and just as easy as banks & ethan say it is. but the real build is happening at the weekend, so i'll keep you posted.

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 04-18-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Yup, my ML8 build was 1.98lb heavier for the H'smidt setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

T.W.O.
    Good going Regetty, My next build would be the ML8. I sent my small ML8 to my brother in Asia so I'm gettin me a new lighter one. I'm looking forward to your build.

mtbr member
    And the extra $$$$$ ???
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ragetty's bike may be heavier but his wallet is sure to be lighter. It all balances out. Can't wait to see the photos!

mtbr member
    hell, a brand new XTR 970 crank costs an arm and a leg these days - my HS cost me €400 for the whole bundle (2nd hand but unused ... )
    Last edited by ragetty; 04-10-2010 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member
    so, i cleaned up the durance and took off the old standard monolink - here it is next to the modified monolink - the weight saving is a whopping 10g (335g vs 325g):

and here it is mounted into the frame with large amounts of grease on and around the bolts, but also stuffed into the bearings (although they were pretty well packed already):

you might notice that the monolink bolts are different colours - i have a few of these and at each monolink service i choose the bolt that best fits the set of brass bearings in the frame - this time i ended up with an odd set.

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 04-11-2010 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    here is the adapter plate mounted, located & fixed first with the hammerschmidt bb and then with the d-mount screw:

clearance around the frame and monolink everywhere was spot on with no interference - here is a pic from above with the shock aired up:

mtbr member
    and here some pix with the shock aired-down, with adequate clearance everywhere, even at full travel - the lads at maverick obviously did their homework:

Last edited by ragetty; 04-11-2010 at 12:24 AM.

T.W.O.
    Good job, remember no spacer. Don't ask how I found that out

mtbr member
    and the last pix for today ...

here the backplate has been mounted - it's just bolts directly onto the adaptor:

you can see the various threads for positioning the chain guide (not mounted):

at this point i also checked for free movement of the actuator and the pawls:

T.W.O.
    By the way do you have any problem putting the crank arm on to the plate? I had to file mine down a bit. The cover won't close properly and I could not screw down the bolt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    By the way do you have any problem putting the crank arm on to the plate? I had to file mine down a bit. The cover won't close properly and I could not screw down the bolt.
    i have no previous experience with this type of bb, but i suspect this is normal - it is probably designed to be more or less a press fit so that there is no play ...

the bolt was mildly difficult to turn before the hammerschmidt finally sat properly, but there was a definite "end stop". i had read in a forum here in germany that they don't always sit the first time, and even in the manual it says to remove, regrease and refit if you're not sure - to be certain, i did exactly this.

it's all mounted up now and working fine - there are some other points to mention, but these were mainly cable routing issues.

i'll post some more pix shortly ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 04-11-2010 at 01:06 AM.

mtbr member

cable routing

i like tidy and slick - one reason i don't run the remote on the speedball is because of the poor cable routing options. so it was important for me to be able to use the original cable routing as much as possible, so running the cable housing down the bottom tube was a no-go for me.

the following, with the cable well greased in the housing, works pretty well, although i'm sure friction inside the housing is not at a minimum - shifting is fine at the moment. funnily enough, there is relatively little movement between the cable and the frame down by the HS as you go through the travel at the rear:

down at the HS itself, the naked cable rubs slightly on the upper exit point of the end stop / guide - that's the point directly next to the lefthand adapter mounting/thread in the following pic. i wedged in a piece of brake cable inner so that i can keep this well greased:

Last edited by ragetty; 04-18-2010 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member

chain rub in top & bottom gears

someone mentioned in one of the maverick/hammerschmidt threads that chain rub in the taller gears might be an issue - well, that's not true ...

here are pix of the set-up in top and bottom gear on the rear casette, this with an X0 medium cage derailleur and a 51 link-pair chain (so 102 links all told) - max. clearance is in the middle gear, and by the time you're sat on the bike, clearance is even better:

the added benefit of this set-up is that the derailleur is holding the chain taut with maximum tension.

i could probably go one link-pair longer, we'll see ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 04-18-2010 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member

chain guide

in bottom gear and unweighted, the chain rubs slightly on the upper inner face of the chain guide - this is with the guide all the way forward:

this is not an issue when i'm on the bike, with the chain guide moving away from the chain when going deeper into the travel.

you folk running only a little sag may not fare so well - a workaround here would be to move it even further forward and just fix the chain guide with 1 screw ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 04-11-2010 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member

ready to roll

now time for a test ride ... more later!

ragetty

mtbr member

ride time ...

and here are the final pix ...

no issues at all - no chain rub on the frame or chain guide, no shifting problems, no binding.

actually, i only have the usual hammerschmidt, non-maverick specific comments - the acceptable whirring in overdrive, the reverse logic, shifting coming almost too quickly and standing at the lights and being able to drop the gears by a factor of 1.6

carrying the bike i notice that the c. of g. has moved noticeably to the rear and down - but as already mentioned, i've gained 700g at the crank but (will have) lost 500g rotating mass at the wheels ...

the next thing is to rethink my shifting patterns ...

ragetty ...
    Last edited by ragetty; 04-18-2010 at 08:20 AM.

T.W.O.

Good job! Good job Regetty!!

I agree that the HS takes some getting used to. I can clear technical climb that I couldn't do before, that lead me to try some harder climb, I misjudged a few because of gear selection. I think that the weight gain is noticeable but not an issue because of what HS can do. I love the clearance too.

I also can not detect any pedaling difference between the standard crank and HS the pedaling is the same. I had the HS on the Reign X before installing on my Duo on the Reign X I can feel more bob especially on the rolling singletrack, because it on the small ring all the time, but that was not the issue for me either. I spoke to Chris, and he confirm that Monolink does not have any effect by the ring size.

I also found that the shifting to drop to small gear require a bit too much thumb pressing, may be it's an X9 shifter, does you XO has an adjustable degree on the lever? My standard XO shifter has it but I'm not sure about HS.

Congrats! Now go get your bike dirty!

03/16/2010
    03/16/2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    does your XO has an adjustable degree on the lever?
    yes, the hammerschmidt X0 shifter is adjustable ...

mtbr member
    one of the most useful gains is how silent the bike runs in the rough and when jumping ...

before, there was always some degree of chain slap due to not enough tension in the chain or simply because the chainstay got hit by the chain - I'm not quite sure why the chain stays dip down as they do on the durance, seems to me some weight could be saved by taking the direct route with of course the added benefit of moving the chain stay away from the lower part of chain

whatever, now it's all quiet!!
    after roughly 120km of trails no issues apart from user error

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 06-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.