mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Magura Disc brakes on Maverick fork.

Got my Maverick fork delivered yesterday afternoon, I also ordered a set of Magura Louise FR Disc brakes with 180mm rotors front and back. When I went to mount the caliper on the fork, the caliper would not fit. The piston is hitting the top portion of the disc mount tab on the fork. I'll try to get a picture up later. Looking at Magura's tech manual, it doesn't list any type of adapter required for thier 180mm rotors.

Anyone have any ideas? This is my first try with 180mm rotors, so not sure if its a fork issue or brake issue.

Mark.

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004

howdy

Their caliper mount seems to be a bit oversized, which is probably a good thing; I had to grind down my GRC adapter to make it fit. Incidentally the Marta doesn't fit either.

The only way I can see you getting around that with your current brakes is to use a caliper for a 160mm rotor, a (ground) adapter, and a 180mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by howdyhowdyhowdy
    Their caliper mount seems to be a bit oversized, which is probably a good thing; I had to grind down my GRC adapter to make it fit. Incidentally the Marta doesn't fit either.

The only way I can see you getting around that with your current brakes is to use a caliper for a 160mm rotor, a (ground) adapter, and a 180mm rotor.
    Here is a pic

Howdy, thanks for the input, if it comes to that, may as well sell these FR's and get something else that fits out of the box...

Anyone else any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I got the same problem with the Hope Mono Minis. All I did was mill away part of the fork that was blocking. My buddy with the Maguras just went at it with a file. Even with a 160mm rotor it was a problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Problem Solved

Just to bring closure to this thread, problem solved.

Got a response back to a email to Maverick American. This is a known issue, and they are working on a fix, but it won't be ready for a while. However they feel there is enough material in the tabs to allow for grinding away a little to make the caliper fit. They also said that in this case, it would not void the warrenty. So after about 20 mins of careful grinding and test fitting, its all good.

The funny part is I was already griding the tab down and didn't get this email until I had finished the job. hehe.

I must say, first ride with the new fork was pretty sweet.

Thanks for all the input.

Mark.

Whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMarkWa
    Just to bring closure to this thread, problem solved.
    This is exactly what I had to do for Martas. I used a half-moon shaped hand file, and 15 minutes and one blister later, problem solved. Did this in October, haven't had a problem since. I know others in Boulder who've used a Dremmel for Hope Minis & Magura Martas who've had no problems for over a year.

Good choice on the fork. It's pretty amazing that I was able to add three inches of travel, double stopping power, and save weight with the Maverick + Magura setup (vs an old SID with Avid mechs).

Chris