mtbr member
    Jan 2012

"Lollypop" is now mine ( hugging a new ML8 frame )

I could realy use from good advice from you more hard core and much more experiance riders, bike builders and Mav enthusiasts.

Christmas came early for me, I just bought my 1st Mav a new in the box Large 2006 ML8 frame set in Hard Ano in that grey ' ish color, not the one that was auctioned off on E-gay last week.

I got this one from a guy with my same name Steve, he who knows Ethan and P T, he contacted me from an awesome bike shop owner named Raj because I started to search every possible source from all the former Maverick authorized sellers - bike shops ( Raj) - to Search Tempest visa vi CraigsList to E-gay to find a new or almost new Mav.

Steve Emailed me and said : "I bought out Mavericks NOS frames and I have exactly what You want based in on Your size - weight"

So now with it in hand all I got to say is DAM this bike frame is better in person than it was from all the photos I have been gawking at for all these many months of all Your Mav's and Google Images !

On this forum i 1st posted a rambling sobbing ranting lament about Ethan's announcement of Mav closing it's doors, I have been reading and sandbagging Your posts and enjoying what You guys have to say about Maverick's

About Me: So You will know why I ask these bike build questions: I am 49 I am not a big hitter, I am not and never was fast or hard core on a bike, I do charge pretty hard but there is no glory in me.

This is my 1st 'real' mountain bike, I want to put together components of high quality but not thee most expensive tip top of the line stuff but good stuff none the less and I have NO idea what crank's, brakes, levers, gearing etc..... to buy.

So here I am, I have my learning hat on , mouth shut and pen in hand .

I am an above average ( intermediate ? ) pretty fit, 6ft 180lb all mountain trail rider.

I never go for air on purpose , no stunts, nothing that will put me in the ER as I have to go to work the next day, but I am addicted to flowing speed, I also love to climb and climb and climb.

My local ride is Mount Ashland 6000ft 10 to 20 mi runs about 2 X's a week .

I ride the shuttle up with the owner of Ashland shuttle Wild Bill who is a pro MTB'er and he is in his mid 40's and he is on the podium most of the time, he is a MONSTER DH'er and Super moto MTB'er his direct quote when I said I have been infatuated with Maverick bikes Bill said: " Mavericks Are Bad Ass' , and his wife Sue, she is also an enduro monster herself.

PART 2 OF THE MAV DREAM > I really really would love to find a DUC 32 to set off my ML8, so if any of You guys ( or gals ) have a spare DUC 32 and want to make me pay way to much for it then slap me around like a money b***h and make me pay hard, lol.

A DUC 32 seams like a hurry up and wait, so in the mean time I would really appreciate Your suggestions as to after market fork, rims, group, etc.....????????

Cheers
    Steve

Any suggestions

mtbr member
    Steve I highly recommend that you have Ethan retune the rear damper to your weight and riding style (DUC as well if you find one). It really makes the suspension feel a lot better. With the right rear damper tune the ML8/Durance are the best climbing 5"+ frames to date. You should try to keep the weight down by using XT/XTR or SramXO drivetrain. I still use a triple with 9speed and it covers all my rides. I like to keep mine under 30lbs with dropper seatpost. Tire choice makes a big difference. You can save some weight by using formula or hope brakes but later shimano xt and avid are also very good.
    Learn how to rebuilt the shocks your self. It is easy. It is a good idea to service them regularly to keep them working well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have run into a few strange things with components you might care about, but no big deal.

The sram locking for a cassette rubbed on the derailleur hangar bolt. I just used an old shimano one I had lying about problem solved. My race face atlast cranks rubbed on the front D-mount and ethan sent me a new one that was machined slightly differently to avoid that.

Otherwise most any components that you want will work. I would try and find something cheap and get it running then you can piece meal afterward and replace what you want. You could maybe find some cheap LX cranks for example since they are discontinued. I have mostly XTR stuff on my ML8 now though it took awhile to get there. Good luck and enjoy your awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Steve I highly recommend that you have Ethan retune the rear damper to your weight and riding style (DUC as well if you find one). It really makes the suspension feel a lot better. With the right rear damper tune the ML8/Durance are the best climbing 5"+ frames to date. You should try to keep the weight down by using XT/XTR or SramXO drivetrain. I still use a triple with 9speed and it covers all my rides. I like to keep mine under 30lbs with dropper seatpost. Tire choice makes a big difference. You can save some weight by using formula or hope brakes but later shimano xt and avid are also very good.
    Learn how to rebuilt the shocks your self. It is easy. It is a good idea to service them regularly to keep them working well.
    Have Ethan re-tune the rear shock damper 'really' !!!

I gather from what You are saying the way it is fresh from the factory it is not really tune-able by a local competent MTB mechanic I know for something as simple as rebound adjustment ?

Am I missing something in what You said about dampening as it pertains to new old stock Maverick or Maverick old or new only that only Ethan should work on ?

Thanks for the advice on triple, and XT group, I am willing to pay for good stuff .

The only base line of real experience I have in quality bikes is I have a new Specialized Roubaix Carbon Triple roadie and it has the mid range quality 105 group .

I rode my friends Specialized with the Dura-Ace setup and his D-A group has a noticeable difference in what I call 'precision' it takes less shifter push-pull to move up and down gears and the actual shifting happens faster so there is no lag or 'blank spot' and so this is what I am looking for in a good MTB transmission-group. I am willing to wait longer to afford the higher end XT stuff because if I had known this with my roadie I would have skipped over the Shimano 105 and gone D-Ace .

( something strange if You right click Shimano to spell check it You will get 'Hiroshima' lol )

Digressing: I was looking at brakes and came upon Hope only 1 week ago and dam those look sweet.

Being a motorcycle guy ( I owned a M/C shop for 9 years ) I have 4 M/C's in my personal quiver hibernating till next Spring, anyways ya I am into Billet CNC stuff and, small shop custom good stuff ( can You say Maverick - or - Foes ) and Hope stoppers caught my eye.

Truthfully this is the last and only MTB I will own, I literally whent through 4 WallyWorlds and road them to death cause I was poor I mean real poor in the 90's moved up to a $500 Trek which was the " top of the bottom of the line " lol, then onto an 06 D-B Moto STX DH'er which was a tank and not suitable for anything but ski slopes, i dug the speed but it was lame on the flat or climb and so here I am I finally got a real al mountain ride.

Unless it gets stolen or pops off my bike rack on the freeway and gets taken out by a semi I will keep this and pas it onto my family when they find me dead on the mountain at the bottom of 'dead mans drop' lol. so I will put the good s**t on it.

Thank You for responding and sorry for being long winded, it is raining like a mad dog and I am just sitting on the forums today with a cup a Hawaiian cup o joe in hand and a cigar in my mouth.

PEACE

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank You for Your advice CHEERS

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You might keep your eye open for some Maverick ML7s that have a DUC32 and other decent components to use on your ML8. There is one on eBay now but I don't think he will get his minimum bid and shipping is steep at $150.

There is an ML8 on eBay now that is not too bad a deal. Then you could sell your new frame, sell the used one, or have a back up. I am the one who got the new ML8 off eBay last week for $660 plus $56 shipping. Did you pay more or less for yours? I didn't need it but I thought it would be nice to have a new one in the box.

Like I have 8 DUC32s for some unknown reason. When I was able to modify it to have 6 inches of travel with a 29er wheel I thought they were a pretty good deal. I run a 29er on the front of my ML8. I like the slacker head angle and higher bottom bracket clearnance for all the rocks we have. I like it much better for the downhills with the rocks. I guess I could give up one of mine. I also have on on my Niner Rip9.

Someone had an X-Fusion fork on an ML8 that they liked better than the DUC32.

The DVOSuspension site has some interesting info on suspension and shimes.

I like to play with the suspension so I fool with it myself. The ML8 I was riding had 4 - 1.5 mm and 2 - .75mm shims in the stack for the rebound. The stack let very little oil pass and I had to use the rebound screw but it was like either open too much or closed too much. I changed the shim to one 1.5mm and one .75mm shim and now with the rebound screw shut I almost get enough rebound. So I just have to open the rebound screw a little. Of course oil viscosity affects rebound also so it is an art that you have to learn. I am still learning and will always be learning.

The DUC32 uses a shim stack for compressive dampning along with ports but only ports for rebound which seems to work fine. The DVOSuspension fork uses shims for both and ports.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You might want to think about going single ring up front as well as some people have posted here (or hammerschmidt). That is the advantage of getting something cheap especially in the crank department to start you can try different things to find what you like. I am fairly tempted to go to a single ring up front myself, but I do use my granny gear still so I probably could not get a wide enough range to be happy without a double. I hardly ever use the big ring so I could definitely drop that and go 2x9~10

Geweber if you decide you want to start giving those ducs away let me know Someday I still want to replace my sc32 on my 29er with a duc although maybe I will get the x-fusion fork if it ever comes out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    You might want to think about going single ring up front as well as some people have posted here (or hammerschmidt). That is the advantage of getting something cheap especially in the crank department to start you can try different things to find what you like. I am fairly tempted to go to a single ring up front myself, but I do use my granny gear still so I probably could not get a wide enough range to be happy without a double. I hardly ever use the big ring so I could definitely drop that and go 2x9~10

Geweber if you decide you want to start giving those ducs away let me know Someday I still want to replace my sc32 on my 29er with a duc although maybe I will get the x-fusion fork if it ever comes out.

Thanks Man for adding Your 2cent's.

At mount Ashland were I live and ride there is 6,500ft of elevation and I like to mix it up with DH shuttles and Up Hill XC pumps for 5 up to 15 miles and so granny is very important have on my cassette, I don't need or want tall gears I am will to trade flat out speed for climbing.

Geweber ? Geweber dude You need to sell me a DUC for WAY more $ than it is worth , in fact I will only smile when You say to You friends : " I sold that old hamburger name Steve one of my busted up old DUC you know the Mav fork that I tweeked at the Red Bull Rampage, I sold it to him for ( ______$ insert outrageous amount here ) and he is totaly happy , You gotta love ignorant NewB's LOL

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Or . . .

You could get the one on ebay, have all the parts you need for an awesome bike, and a frame to sell or keep for a spare. Disclaimer: It's my bike! geweber may be right, it may not sell, but it won't hurt my feelings any. I will keep it as a loaner and the "when-the-main-squeeze-is-in-the-shop" bike. It is actually a much more agile cross country bike than my all-mountain Lenz Behemoth 29er anyway. My dream bike would be a 29er that hugs the ground and flicks like the Maverick. I guess you get one or the other, for now. With Turner going to the new company, maybe there is hope!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    You could get the one on ebay, have all the parts you need for an awesome bike, and a frame to sell or keep for a spare. Disclaimer: It's my bike! geweber may be right, it may not sell, but it won't hurt my feelings any. I will keep it as a loaner and the "when-the-main-squeeze-is-in-the-shop" bike. It is actually a much more agile cross country bike than my all-mountain Lenz Behemoth 29er anyway. My dream bike would be a 29er that hugs the ground and flicks like the Maverick. I guess you get one or the other, for now. With Turner going to the new company, maybe there is hope!
    UPDATE: I posted a WTB ad .

"WANTED DUC32 BEND ME OVER $ HARD "

I posted iot yesterday and I just got got 2 silver hard ano 32's knocking on my Email door 2day .

Both guys asked me what I want to pay for there forks but I am drawing a blank I never owned one and never saw one for sale to compare a value ????

I know both the guy's are perhaps on this Maverick forum and to be fair I answered to both of You guys in basically the same way > I said something to thee effect: Thanks I am going to more than likely buy one immediately I really have no idea what a decent DUC32 is worth so You tell me and I will go for it .

I am not going to punk one guy and play him against thee other and so I will be out in the open and let You both know each of You has a silver 32 offered for sale to me.

QUESTION: Anyone care to dare a guess or show and tell what You paid for a used clean silver 32 so I can be fair and buy one without wasting thee other guy's time

Thanks for the advice HHL looks like I don't have to buy another whole Mav to get a front ano pogo for my Lollypop lol.

CHEERS

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There was a new one in the box with a hub that went for $960 plus shipping on eBay about a month ago. I got a used one off eBay about a year ago for $650. It came with two wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Used I bought three of them over the years for 350-450 or so, but I had to buy the hubs separately which is 65-100. Some came with extra stems and other random stuff.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by geweber View Post
    There was a new one in the box with a hub that went for $960 plus shipping on eBay about a month ago. I got a used one off eBay about a year ago for $650. It came with two wheels.
    Wasn't there a painted one on EBay a few weeks ago that went for around 300 plus? I know it is way nice to have a harmoniously equipped bike, I'm guilty of esthetic dilettantism concerning my bikes, but what about a Loop on that frame?

mtbr member

Good job! Ml8

Hi chaps, I'd never heard of Maverick until some months back I saw a back page ad for 6.5" travel frame (about $860). A bit of googling set my mind and very happy I am. In the absence of DUC32 I went for xfusion 170mm coil HLR forks which weigh pretty much the same as the frame but work well and allowed me to use my Roval el wheelset. All in with Maxxis Minions (Hans Dampf evo now) she's around 33lb (inc reverb). 2x10 xt cassette with slx double + bash good range and shifting. XT shifter/brake setup where the shifter utilises the brake bar clamp keeps things nice and neat. Cost around $1700 and now I have the Mojo HD I was looking at for a bargain price! At 51 I don't go big but 6-8ft table tops and 3-4ft drops she handles beautifully including saving the many pilot error moments. In my 4yrs of riding one A&E stop (enough). Btw xfusion are doing upsidedownies for 2013

Note to Steve, as I said I built her up about 5months ago but already had to put new bearings in the BB as the originals were either seized or partially seized causing a little scoring on the shafts, be worth checking before you build (Jet spray? Going to be a regular check now). Rode last weekend all good apart from a bit of a squeak, may have over tightened. Being Ally the BB shafts are soft so make sure you put the Allen key in fully. I Set the shock around 190-195psi and twiddled me lil red knob so as not to get kicked over the bars, suspension guru I'm not but all seems to work well on the nice fast n flowy single track we ride though not much rock garden stuff. Anyway all the best I know you'll be a happy bunny when done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Duc 32 on the way

Thanks peeps for the input on the fair market for a clean DUC32.

I just put half my grip down on a clean used Silver DUC 32 , I should have it in a little over a week from now = STOAKED

In the mean time I have been Googling & Oogling all the eye candy stuff to put this ride together.

I got sucked into a Youtube Truvativ Hammershmidt crank vortex for awhile , you know the kind of suspended fascination one gets were time stands still imagining no more rookie miss shifts and then I snapped out of it and said to myself " Dude, why don't You just pay more attention and shift faster and set up Your gearing during terrain transitions instead of relying on a fancy gizmo crank to do it for You " lol.

Then I popped over to Topanga Creek Bicycles web site and tripped over my swanz for a
    Phil Wood Hubs, (( Homer Simpson voice )) > " Sorry Chris King, I now have a man crush on Phil Woods good's LOL .

So many CNC machine / billet goodies , so little bucks, lol

mtbr member

Your new ML8!

Hey SteveIO, thought I'd let you know that you already have and Ethan-ized rear shock!
    Steve P and i we're chatting the other day and he mentioned the frame you bought, so it has all my updates that we do at the shop... Ride and repeat!
    Any questions, by anyone, give a shout, mavericksuspension@gmail.com
    I do not get to MTBR forums much, to much work to do, not complaining!!! (And ride my bike when i can!!)
    We'll be offering 10% off service for the month of Jan, just contact me and mention this.
    Thanks all, it has been a fantastic first year and plan to make it even better for the next.
    Again, give a holler if you guys (and gals) need anything!
    Ethan-

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    Hey SteveIO, thought I'd let you know that you already have and Ethan-ized rear shock!
    Steve P and i we're chatting the other day and he mentioned the frame you bought, so it has all my updates that we do at the shop... Ride and repeat!
    Any questions, by anyone, give a shout, mavericksuspension@gmail.com
    I do not get to MTBR forums much, to much work to do, not complaining!!! (And ride my bike when i can!!)
    We'll be offering 10% off service for the month of Jan, just contact me and mention this.
    Thanks all, it has been a fantastic first year and plan to make it even better for the next.
    Again, give a holler if you guys (and gals) need anything!
    Ethan-
    COOL, Thanks it;s good to know that Ethan.
    FYI: I have a used silver DUC32 coming in this next week, and if it is in need of servicing I will let You know ASAP.
    CHEERS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a DUC i'd like to sell if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I have a DUC i'd like to sell if anyone is interested
    Pm me