mtbr member

Lightening up a ML75

OK - I know that 28lbs is light for a long travel bike. However, I do feel the weight on long climbs. So what are some ways to take a little weight off?

Hoops - Big and Small
    What's your tire's weigh? That maybe a quick fix. Wheelset would be next. Then there's always the spare tire!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    XTR Cranks
    WTB Ti Railed seat
    Chris King hubs
    Avid Juicy Ultimate (carbon Lever) brakes
    Been looking into this on my ML7 as well. Can believe I'm becoming a weight weenie Would be fun to see how lite I could get it though

mtbr member

Wheels/Tires

I'm running a DT 240s/819 rear and Maverick/819 up front. I have Crossmark USTs with stans as well. It's a pretty light set up. Is the front King hub that much lighter?

The new XTR cranks could be a good upgrade. I'm going to look into it. Thanks!

Hoops - Big and Small
    The 819's are not "light" certainly not heavy - I use the same rim.

My guess your wheelset is around 1800-1900 grams. You might be able to get down to 1700, gonna cost a bit of cash.

In the tire area since you run Stans you could go with a ghetto build and save some weight with a non UST tire and seal it up with the goop.

All this goes beyond what I feel comfortable with, but I weigh 200lbs with all my gear on and I tend to break things.

I would try the Weight Weenie Forum for better info, but thanks for posting hear, you never know maybe there's a Maverick Reposado or ML7/5 owner out there who has tried this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry, but I gotta brag.
    My ML7/5 with DUC weighs 25.75 lbs (with pedals). I do it all with this rig; race, ride, train and do all kinds of long endurance races.
    I got XTR cranks, King hubs with 819's, Hope Mono Mini brakes and SRAM X-0 drivetrain. The tires I've been running for the past two years are Bontrager's Tubeless Ready with some Stan's. No problems with them at all.
    I could probably get it under 25 lbs. with an Industry Nine wheelset (with 819's) and running a SDG saddle & seatpost combo. Maybe next year. That would be the lightest I think you could get it. Oh yeah, I my frame is a size small. I think that make a little difference in weight, especially if you got an extra large frame.
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

Whatever

I have a Large ML7/5 that is 25.0 race weight

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    Sorry, but I gotta brag.
    My ML7/5 with DUC weighs 25.75 lbs (with pedals). I do it all with this rig; race, ride, train and do all kinds of long endurance races.
    I got XTR cranks, King hubs with 819's, Hope Mono Mini brakes and SRAM X-0 drivetrain. The tires I've been running for the past two years are Bontrager's Tubeless Ready with some Stan's. No problems with them at all.
    I could probably get it under 25 lbs. with an Industry Nine wheelset (with 819's) and running a SDG saddle & seatpost combo. Maybe next year. That would be the lightest I think you could get it. Oh yeah, I my frame is a size small. I think that make a little difference in weight, especially if you got an extra large frame.
    Mine is a Large ML7/5 with this setup for 24hr races (or really these days, just fast rides):

DUC32
    Maverick front hub, King DiscoTech 5 yr old rear hub
    14/15 spokes and alloy nipples
    Stans ZTR355 rims (held up for 2 years so far)
    Specialized RollX tires (600 grams maybe more...not light)
    Stan's goop
    Thomson seatpost
    Stainless Steel eggbeaters
    XTR cranks
    Shimano R773 front derailleur (the one for road flat bar thumbie setups that Maverick recommends)
    X.O triggers and rear derailleur
    Specialized Toupe saddle
    Easton MonkeyLite DH carbon handlebar (225 grams...could go lighter)
    Magura Marta SL 180mm front brake
    Magura Marta SL 160mm rear brake
    ODI lock-on grips

I am 165# plus camelback etc. I like to ride very technical stuff especially climbing it. The biggest weight savings are obviously the wheelset, maybe the saddle (supposedly 160g) and little bits here and there. But I don't have any Ti spindle pedals, etc that could shave more weight.

Sometimes for epic rides I go to a more "all mountain" setup, changing tires to Kenda Kinetics Stick-E. Lately I've been using the Maverick SpeedBall post all the time... I really like it despite adding 1/3 to 1/2 pound.

Insanity later

What's the build?

We can't really advise you on how to save weight unless we know details of your build. Until then it seems that all we can do is brag about our ML7/5 weights

That being said, without knowing the build, a couple of cost effective weight savings are:

Pork Rinds (or similar) grips. Savings of around 100g versus lock on grips.
    Lighter tires and tubes obviously can save a few hundred grams
    Lighter saddle can often save 50 - 100 grams quite easily.
    Pedals. Eggbeaters or Candy SL's for instance, MAY save 50 - 100g over current pedals.

I have an XL ML7/5 with DUC32 which weighs around 27 pounds. I am a self confessed weight weenie with a 14 pound road bike, and a light single speed, but I'm reluctant to give up things to save weight on Mav. That means lock-on grips for now, a Speedball post, 650g tires on 717 rims, and a 200g saddle. But I weigh almost 200 pounds, which is an issue.

I'm considering upgrading are the Juicy Seven brakes. They weigh around 500g each, which is almost 100g heavier than the Louise FR's I had on before. Marta's, Formula Ouro Puros or Juicy Ultimates would be an option if I could afford them.

I've also thought about Stans tubeless system but don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle, and it doesn't appear that the weight savings are that great.