Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Last stupid question.. DUC32 Maverick America "stanchions" on trek DUC and viceversa.

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  geweber 
#1 · (Edited)
Last stupid question.. DUC32 Maverick America "stanchions" on trek DUC and viceversa.

I'm asking because the front Hope M4 Mono caliper (four pistons) do not fit on the brake hanger of the DUC32 "American" (clearance issues with the piston) so I swap the stanchions for the "Trek" OEM Stanchions and viceversa since I have two DUC's..

Now the "American" (Silver) are super smooth but the copper color forks (trek OEM) are super draggy and horrible, like the tubes on the Stanchions are slightly larger in diameter or something that bad...
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Spoke

Ps: I'm waiting for the "Guano" oil to do a basic tuneup on the two of them, so I'm not sure if service is the issue or something deeper.

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to give Ethan a call on this one. Check the outside diameters with a micrometer. It could be the wiper seals, different bath oil, and different bushing diameters.

The manual on putting in new bushing indicate they have to be sized. They have a bushing removal and sizing tool. I have made some new stanchions with 1-1/4 inch OD tubing which is 31.75 mm. They are a little loose, however I put on the new wiper seals and they are not leaking any bath oil. I am going to but in some new bushings and see if I can get them to tighten up a little.

Jerry

#3 · (Edited)
You might want to give Ethan a call on this one. Check the outside diameters with a micrometer. It could be the wiper seals, different bath oil, and different bushing diameters.

The manual on putting in new bushing indicate they have to be sized. They have a bushing removal and sizing tool. I have made some new stanchions with 1-1/4 inch OD tubing which is 31.75 mm. They are a little loose, however I put on the new wiper seals and they are not leaking any bath oil. I am going to but in some new bushings and see if I can get them to tighten up a little.

Jerry
Thanks as usual Jerry, I did ask Ethan and he tells me they are all the same size, I guess I just need to change the fluid on them and see what happens

#5 ·
I am using 0-rings on some of mine. I was going for a little more travel. These bumpers for the DUC32 appear to be simular to ones used in other suspension products. Check with your LBS. You could use the o-ring until you get a bumper. Increase your progressive compression at the end of the travel to keep from bottoming out as much or hard.

#7 ·
Okay you guys are going to think I'm the biggest dummy ever..

I found what the problem was, after measuring everything ten times, the dummy part is that I left the "lock out knob" half engage before I took the forks apart, maybe even move when I was unscrewing the little bolt, who knows..

Well at least we all can learn from it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.