mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Intermittent loss of rebound damping on rear shock

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I have an ML7/5 that functions well 99% of the time. On two ocasions it has comletely lost the rebound damping on the rear shock. First time I thought I must have moved the rebound knob. Today it happened again with a very unpleasant top out knock but by the time I got home it seems to have gone. The only problem now is that when I wind the rebound adjuster down the shock seems to stick, at faster settings it seems fine with no top out.

I presume it as o-ring problem but I am surprised it is intermittent. If folk agree it is the o-ring which one is it and how easy is it to sort. I don't have a local dealer and my mechanical expertise is at the level of assembling a bike and doing a straightforward fork service.

thanks

Schipperkes are cool.
    How old is the bike?
    When was the rear shock last serviced?
    It may have the hydro damper in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Gentleman Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggarR
    Hi,

Hope someone can help. I have an ML7/5 that functions well 99% of the time. On two ocasions it has comletely lost the rebound damping on the rear shock. First time I thought I must have moved the rebound knob. Today it happened again with a very unpleasant top out knock but by the time I got home it seems to have gone. The only problem now is that when I wind the rebound adjuster down the shock seems to stick, at faster settings it seems fine with no top out.

I presume it as o-ring problem but I am surprised it is intermittent. If folk agree it is the o-ring which one is it and how easy is it to sort. I don't have a local dealer and my mechanical expertise is at the level of assembling a bike and doing a straightforward fork service.

thanks
    Have you ever serviced the damper cartridge in your fork? The rear damper is not too different, with the exception of having a floating piston.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    After leaving my bike upside down for a month waiting for a new wheel I now have a kbock in the rear shock. It happens at the beginning of rebound. The damping appears fine and otherwise the shock appears to function normally. I had the shock serviced 6 months ago and it was fine until it was left upside down. Any ideas what the knock could be and how to get rid of it? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggarR View Post
    After leaving my bike upside down for a month waiting for a new wheel I now have a kbock in the rear shock. It happens at the beginning of rebound. The damping appears fine and otherwise the shock appears to function normally. I had the shock serviced 6 months ago and it was fine until it was left upside down. Any ideas what the knock could be and how to get rid of it? Thanks
    Is it Ethan or a Maverick service center which has serviced your shock? Nothing can break in a Maverick Shock, nothing. The "classical" problems come from the upper top cap or the bolt shaft not enough tighten or a broken ORing in the cartridge.
    Your problem really seems to be a untighten part.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the reply.

It was serviced by the guy who is responsible for servicing Maverick components in the UK. What I find odd is that it is at the beginning rebound and wasn't apparent before I left the bike upside down. I have been out for 3 hours today and the shock performed fine. I was thinking that some oil had migarated or it was coming from the shim stack.

mtbr member
    define 'knock' ...

i had an issue with my 2008 durance where the rebound knob had popped up a little and was contacting the shock mount on the main triangle on shock extension ...

the shock was replaced under warranty, but i think the isue was in fact trivial, simply a case of properly reseating the knob in the top of the shock.

ragetty

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply.

It was serviced by the guy who is responsible for servicing Maverick components in the UK. What I find odd is that it is at the beginning rebound and wasn't apparent before I left the bike upside down. I have been out for 3 hours today and the shock performed fine. I was thinking that some oil had migarated or it was coming from the shim stack.
    Ok. I have UK customers already ... I'll be back from vacation in a couple of weeks (august 23), if you want you can send it to me in France, I'm the official Maverick suspension center. I'm sure it is du to an Oring breakage in the damper. The small parts of the Oring pass into the oil circuit during compression. During extension of the damper the oil can't go back until the Oring part passes again in the hole ... if it passes, follows by a fast extension.
    If ever it is the reason the shock must be completely disassembled.
    Contact me alpatech@free.fr
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the help. Things have now moved on. After the first ride the clunk had changed from being at the beginning of the rebound cycle to the end. It has sat for a week now and I took it out yesterday for 3hours. The clunk has virtually disappeared and as before the suspension worked fine.
    I think it must have been due to leaving it upside down for so long. I have had the o-ring problem before and the suspension basically stopped working internittently and had a nasty clunk at the end of rebound, this just felt different.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help. Things have now moved on. After the first ride the clunk had changed from being at the beginning of the rebound cycle to the end. It has sat for a week now and I took it out yesterday for 3hours. The clunk has virtually disappeared and as before the suspension worked fine.
    I think it must have been due to leaving it upside down for so long. I have had the o-ring problem before and the suspension basically stopped working internittently and had a nasty clunk at the end of rebound, this just felt different.
    Nothing can justify a "clunk" in the damper, or check the torque value of the different bolt.
    do not hesitate to send me your damper if it continues, I'll do it for free and you will pay only shipping.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the generous offer, it does seem to be working ok again.