mtbr member
    Sep 2005

How to setup the R773 fr der for 2x10 crankset?

Hi,

I need to replace my crankset and i was thinking of going the 2x10 route. I have a couple of options in mind: SRAM XX or Shimano XTR or Race Face Next SL. The one thing I can't figure out is whether I need to change my front derailleur or not and whether I need to change my front shifters or not? I know it sounds stupid, but if I don't need to change those, how do you setup the fr derailleur for just 2 rings? Do you just play with the cable tension and the limit screws?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    that seems to be the obvious route - the only point that eludes me is which of the two neighbouring positions on the shifter are to be active, low/middle or middle/top?

ragetty

rebmem rbtm
    Going to a friction style front shifter would solve that. With either a grip shift or thumb shifter and properly adjusted limit screws you should be able to shift quickly and trim the derailleur as needed.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Derailleur will not care. Good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So, if I am hearing this correctly, it sounds like one can use a traditional 3 speed front shifter and by only adjusting the limit screws, get it to work with a 2x10 setup. Am I correct?
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I, too was considering this switch and a couple of points came up that you might wish to consider. First, if you use anything but Shimano, you will have to have your monolink machined to accomodate the bottom bracket. Shimano is the only company with a bottom bracket set up to handle an e-mount, which is essentially what we have with that front derailleur mount.
    Second, since a 2x10 has smaller chainrings than a triple, you will need to have the front derailleur mount machined with a longer slot so you can lower the derailleur closer to the big ring. Maverick is able to do both services for you, or they can supply an new, narrower monolink if you don't want to "wreck" your existing one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks a lot for the great information Conrad.... I think i'll get in touch with Maverick to see how much it costs to have a new monolink and a new front derailleur mount.