mtbr member
    Sep 2005

How to rebuild/service the rear shock of a Durance?

Hi,

I have had my Durance for a couple of seasons now and I am thinking it is probably time to service my rear shock. The shock performs really well, but I would rather do preventive maintenance rather than having to ship it back to Maverick, 'cause it is dead. One thing I haven't found yet is a guide on how to do this. Does anybody have a guide on how to service/rebuild the rear shock of a durance?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    You can consider the ML7/2 doc, the damper cartridge of the Durance is very similar, just the bottom of the cartridge has been modified. Level of oil is different, 15mm instead of 9mm.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpamayo View Post
    You can consider the ML7/2 doc, the damper cartridge of the Durance is very similar, just the bottom of the cartridge has been modified. Level of oil is different, 15mm instead of 9mm.
    Thanks a lot for the info... are you sure about the 15ml of oil? I have tried to put 15ml at the bottom of the shock, i.e. on the empty tube that connects to the monolink, and it is really hard not to spill any through the set screws. I ended up putting the 15ml at the bottom of the damper cartridge and then sliding it upside down into the shock body. I also used 5wt oil. Can you please confirm that what I did is the proper way of doing it?

Thanks a lot.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info... are you sure about the 15ml of oil? I have tried to put 15ml at the bottom of the shock, i.e. on the empty tube that connects to the monolink, and it is really hard not to spill any through the set screws. I ended up putting the 15ml at the bottom of the damper cartridge and then sliding it upside down into the shock body. I also used 5wt oil. Can you please confirm that what I did is the proper way of doing it?

Thanks a lot.
    Not 15ml .. 15mm IFP Height when Damper Rod all the Way IN?

15mm was the level for the ML7/5, for the Durance with 15mm travel more let say 20mm max. (25mm for the ML8 with 165mm travel).
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I looked at the manual and on page 8, it says to put 6ml of lubricating oil into the shock body if the oil is gone. Would that be the same for the Durance? Is that lubricating oil 5wt fork oil?

I am sorry for all the questions, and I really appreciate the answers.

Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond View Post
    I looked at the manual and on page 8, it says to put 6ml of lubricating oil into the shock body if the oil is gone. Would that be the same for the Durance? Is that lubricating oil 5wt fork oil?

I am sorry for all the questions, and I really appreciate the answers.

Thanks a lot.
    This is the lubricating oil for the wiper seal and also to modify the end of the damper course. More oil more spring force on the damper at the end of the travel. 7ml for a ML7/2.
    It is not the damper oil ....
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32

French Maverick Breeder