Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,069

    How is Maverick?

    Are they still joined with Spot and operating out of the same building in Golden? Are they selling frames and forks right now? The web site hasn't changed in years. No recent work on new forks or frames. Anyone know what direction the company is headed in?
    Keep the Country country.

  2. #2
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,767
    They are only heading one way, Up. What kind of question is that?

  3. #3
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,069
    Beautiful optimism, but you'll have to provide some positive counter points to all the signs that say they are coasting to a stop. Are they still selling frames and forks or have they already come to a stop and are just track standing, existing only in the sense that they haven't ceased to exist?
    Keep the Country country.

  4. #4
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,767
    It's hard to answer question like that, as I don't know the right answer. I know this. I own many bikes 18-19 may be at this time. My top 5 bikes has Maverick products on it, and 3 are Maverick ML7, ML8 and Seven Duo. I love my Mojo(s) and Ellsworth, but my last 10 ride has been on my 3 year-old ML8 w/ Hammerschmidt, which by the way amazing. I said many times before my go-to bike is the ML8. It's just damn good.

    Forks, I bought my first Duc32 for my 26" wheel years ago, then later 29er enter the scene, it's convertible to accept two-niner no problem. Then 650b enter the pic, hey no problem take it. All on the same fork. Wheel not included And same goes for the Mini as well. Love them

    Seatpost, I had my Gravity dropper for a long time, it was almost the only company doing it for years nothing else happen. It was alright good but not great! Maverick introduce the buttery smooth Speedball. 3years later there are more than 10 companies that are doing hydro adj seatpost. Fancier? Maybe it evolves thru technology and time. Many people who use other adj seatpost still switch to Maverick remote, as it's more superior than their stock remote.

    A few of my friends also ride Mavericks along with other bikes, they are all share the same appreciation as I do. The products just works. Many times I would ride the latest design back to back with my Maverick(s) and it still going head to head with the competitors, except nothing climbs like a Maverick. It's made to last too, have not break one yet. There's a French man who rides on my trails, we chat often pretty hardcore guy. He said he's broken just about any bikes he's ever own until Maverick. I know him and have seen him ride, thought that was pretty cool.

    I don't know how many bike they sold last quarter, nor do I care. I know that everytime I'm on my Maverick, I'd have a big smile on my face and when the ride is over I'd say what a great ride! If their goal is to produce great product, they sure did one hell of a job. I go thru my bikes quite often each year, but I have no plan to let go of my Maverick. I'm a Maverick for life

    If you think they are just track standing, may be they are waiting for others to catch up.
    My 2cents

  5. #5
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,069
    I love my DUC too but I have no emotional attachment to the company and once a better fork is available I'll get it (pretty remarkable that it's taken 6 years for Fox and Rockshox to challenge it). I was hoping a carbon DUC32 would be that fork but I'm getting the impression that they've halted development on both it and the DUC36. I'm not a fanboi wanting them to carry on or a hater who wants to hear that they're done. I'm just curious what's up and trying to plan what forks will be on my XC and FR bikes next summer. I think it's gonna be my old DUC and a TALAS 180.
    Keep the Country country.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    i'm sort of curious too.

    i really like my durance w/ DUC32 and i have an old SC32 on a new steel hardtail - i have this maverick gear that i still like to use, i have the spares, and i'm happy to run them until they die a natural death.

    but, i'm also getting rid of the excess inventory before it becomes impossible to sell (especially here in germany).

    admittedly, there is no concrete sign of where maverick is going. for example there has been no development on the existing frames (the hammerschmidt monolink excepted), and offering the durance this year in only black & white is not at all a good sign to the market. some sort of progress/innovation needs to be seen to be made with the frames and forks, otherwise it simply looks like the brand is stagnating - and yes, the products may be good already, but that's not the way the market works.

    the innovation could be very simple, just enough to keep the image current - a 650b hardtail, the durance with 150mm and more fork rake, build more 'freeride' into the ml8, getting out the DUC36 and carbon frames for the DUC32, a trick lightweight monolink for the hammerschmidt, and finally standard builds with 2x10 and the hammerschmidt (to finally bury the poor shifting image) ...

    on the positive side, maverick was at outerbike with the DUC36 (that direct from ethan), and the DUC36 is apparently on the way. i also picked up somewhere (here?) that a 29'er is 'scheduled'. mike west won the superD nationals on a maverick, so it's not like the bikes are not capable or that there is no press. and the speedball tripped off the biggest change in seat posts since ... well, pick any significant bike scene product, however old ...

    ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 10-24-2010 at 12:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Schipperkes are cool.
    Reputation: banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,994
    Maverick is not "joined with Spot". Spot & Maverick share a building, the business are not the same business.

    Maverick is positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

  8. #8
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    i'm sort of curious too.

    i really like my durance w/ DUC32 and i have an old SC32 on a new steel hardtail - i have this maverick gear that i still like to use, i have the spares, and i'm happy to run them until they die a natural death.

    but, i'm also getting rid of the excess inventory before it becomes impossible to sell (especially here in germany).

    admittedly, there is no concrete sign of where maverick is going. for example there has been no development on the existing frames (the hammerschmidt monolink excepted), and offering the durance this year in only black & white is not at all a good sign to the market. some sort of progress/innovation needs to be seen to be made with the frames and forks, otherwise it simply looks like the brand is stagnating - and yes, the products may be good already, but that's not the way the market works.

    the innovation could be very simple, just enough to keep the image current - a 650b hardtail, the durance with 150mm and more fork rake, build more 'freeride' into the ml8, getting out the DUC36 and carbon frames for the DUC32, a trick lightweigt monolink for the hammerschmidt and standard builds with 2x10 and the hammerschmidt (to finally bury the poor shifting image) ...

    on the positive side, maverick was at outerbike with the DUC36 (that direct from ethan), and the DUC36 is apparently on the way. i also picked up somewhere (here?) that a 29'er is 'scheduled'. mike west won the superD nationals on a maverick, so it's not like the bikes are not capable or that there is no press. and the speedball tripped off the biggest change in seat posts since ... well, pick any significant bike scene product, however old ...

    ragetty
    Why not 650 FS & HT with some awesome Geometry. If making ML9 may be shorter stay and lower stand over would be great. I'm 5'7" and the small is a bit big already.

    HS/Monolink as a standard is a great idea.

    Lelandjt, I'm in the same boat with you on the fork selection for my HD. I already have Wotan, and like it, but it pretty much weight the same as the Boxxer WC. My first choice would be the Duc36, and really like to see fox180 Talas.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Why not 650b FS ...
    because i was thinking evolution rather than revolution. e.g. 150mm rear AND 650b would prohibit use of the DUC32 front (you would have to limit it to 135mm or so). but then there are no more DUC32s anyway ...

    if my thinking is straight, longer chainstays will tease a little more rear axle travel out of the existing shock set-up. 650b wheels would then also give another slight 'feels like more' effect ...

    ragetty

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Alpamayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    314
    I was in Boulder two weeks ago and spent some time with Ethan, not enough on his bike, with the 36 .... should arrive soon ...
    Yes, Maverick is going up, you should see very soon what they are working on
    It's a small brand, one tells about 400 to 500 frames per year. The guys at Maverick are driven by passion for passionate riders. Sure, they take the time but why do you want to change your bike each year, does it makes sense? I have three Maverick, a 7/2 just rebuilt, once again since 2004, a ML8 for Enduro races and a Durance for all mountain. Why should should I change the frame ... some upgrades, some tricks provides by Ethan on the forks, the shocks ... what else ??
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

    French Maverick Breeder

  11. #11
    Awesome! Totally awesome!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    117
    Don't fix what isn't broken, just keep it oiled and tweak it a bit every so often. I adore my Durance and DUC. Porsche doesn't drastically redesign the 911 every other model year, because they don't need to. Same with Maverick imho.

    That being said, a 650b/29er "Heavy xc" Maverick platform with a shade over 4 inches in the back... well, that'd be my idea of perfection.

    Maybe, MAYBE eliminate the need for a proprietary hub.

    Maybe re-anodized my Durance to keep up with the joneses
    "Gimme a pack of 'low birth weights.'"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    bear in mind that we've all got our mavericks - all of us (except the most avid fans) are more or less off the radar in terms of new sales (at least of frames) ...

    maverick needs to keep finding those 400-500 *new* buyers each year. that's why there is a need for 'perceived innovation' - if those potential new buyers only see technology which more or less dates from the first half of the decade, they may well shop elsewhere.

    that's why there should be 2x10 and hs builds (with weights) up on the website, to show that the frames are *still* at the front of the game.

    i find that the maverick doesn't do enough to play up the various technologies' triumphs, i.e. there's not enough blowing their own trumpet ...

    ragetty

  13. #13
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    because i was thinking evolution rather than revolution. e.g. 150mm rear AND 650b would prohibit use of the DUC32 front (you would have to limit it to 135mm or so). but then there are no more DUC32s anyway ...

    if my thinking is straight, longer chainstays will tease a little more rear axle travel out of the existing shock set-up. 650b wheels would then also give another slight 'feels like more' effect ...

    ragetty
    ragetty, why would 650b prohibit the use of Duc32 front? Not sure what you mean by that I'm running 2 650b front one on the Mini and another on the Duc32, thanks.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    ragetty, why would 650b prohibit the use of Duc32 front? Not sure what you mean by that I'm running 2 650b front one on the Mini and another on the Duc32, thanks.
    think about it - 150mm rear and 135mm (spacer-limited DUC32) front suspension travel ... not exactly 'prohibit', but there are certainly better combinations.

    ragetty

  15. #15
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    think about it - 150mm rear and 135mm (spacer-limited DUC32) front suspension travel ... not exactly 'prohibit', but there are certainly better combinations.

    ragetty
    Yes, yes, yes. I've been so involved with my current "spacing" issue about the 9pm thru axel, 10pm ta, 12 ta 150 rear spacing vs 135 rear spacing. Got confused a bit.

    Yeah, travel it would be nice to run full 150mm travel on Duc32/650b. Hey has any one run 10mm ta on the rear axle? Do I even needed on the ML8?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Hey has any one run 10mm ta on the rear axle? Do I even needed on the ML8?
    i have the dt swiss rws 10mm thru axle on my durance, although i haven't ridden yet in conditions where it might reveal the benefits ...

    ragetty

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Alpamayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Yes, yes, yes. I've been so involved with my current "spacing" issue about the 9pm thru axel, 10pm ta, 12 ta 150 rear spacing vs 135 rear spacing. Got confused a bit.

    Yeah, travel it would be nice to run full 150mm travel on Duc32/650b. Hey has any one run 10mm ta on the rear axle? Do I even needed on the ML8?
    These are examples of the next upgrades on the ML8, new standard for rear axle, 1"5 / 1"1/8 front tube .... and others goodies
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

    French Maverick Breeder

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpamayo
    These are examples of the next upgrades on the ML8, new standard for rear axle, 1"5 / 1"1/8 front tube .... and others goodies
    see? keep needling long enough and someone spills the beans ...

  19. #19
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    see? keep needling long enough and someone spills the beans ...
    Since the availability of the HS Monolink, I thinks it's a prime time for Maverick to release the Naked8, may be with the One-Point-Five HT. And that's evolution

  20. #20
    simple
    Reputation: 69erSycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    666
    I have to agree with some of these feelings. I really believe that Maverick needs to tone down the XC aspect of their bikes (Durance) and market more towards the growing all-mountain buyer. Those people that do not race, want a long travel bike that can still climb, has hi-tech features, wants a quality product and is willing to pay for it, and quite frankly isn't a major bike manufacturer. More information on the website is key in these modern times. The XC marketing aspect is something that fellow Colorado companies do as well (Yeti) and it is part of the legend of mountain biking for sure but XC racing is dying slowly and what comes out of it are carbon 29ers and 100mm travel FS bikes, not bikes like those at Maverick. I like what Knolly and Banshee are doing marketing and development wise and I think Maverick can take a cue from them in many ways.

    Anyway that is what I had to add to the conversation. I've seen some of those future products as well and I'm stoked for sure on that. I love my Maverick and will continue to absolutely burn up and down trails on it for as long as it lasts!
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    bear in mind that we've all got our mavericks - all of us (except the most avid fans) are more or less off the radar in terms of new sales (at least of frames) ...

    maverick needs to keep finding those 400-500 *new* buyers each year. that's why there is a need for 'perceived innovation' - if those potential new buyers only see technology which more or less dates from the first half of the decade, they may well shop elsewhere.

    that's why there should be 2x10 and hs builds (with weights) up on the website, to show that the frames are *still* at the front of the game.

    i find that the maverick doesn't do enough to play up the various technologies' triumphs, i.e. there's not enough blowing their own trumpet ...

    ragetty

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    870
    I don't think the durance is a CC bike sycip. I mean it is pretty darn all mountain as it is.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    i don't think sycip was denying that status, rather that the 'market positioning' for the durance is too xc and not enough AM/enduro ...

  23. #23
    simple
    Reputation: 69erSycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    i don't think sycip was denying that status, rather that the 'market positioning' for the durance is too xc and not enough AM/enduro ...
    Yep, that is what I am saying. Not that I know very much about marketing but I just think Maverick needs more exposure and it isn't in the XC field.

    BTW, I rode a Lenzsport Leviathan this past weekend. Definitely impressed. If Maverick can create their version of that style of bike. Slack, 4 inch travel, 29er full suspension, with an anodized finish, then I am sold. Not like I need another bike but damn that bike really was a rock crawler.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    Dear all

    It has been few months since last post....

    Anyone has experience running 29er with ML8? You just need to buy the 29er kit?

    Thanks

  25. #25
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by azfaz
    Dear all

    It has been few months since last post....

    Anyone has experience running 29er with ML8? You just need to buy the 29er kit?

    Thanks
    Check out TNC's post and this better climber: 29er or 96er?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •