mtbr member
    Jul 2007

How many Mavericks out there?

Just wondering. Does any one know or care to guess how many mavericks are out there. How many frames made? How many ML7s, 7.5, 8, Matic, Durance?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    who knows!!! Maybe only Ethan !

mtbr member
    I would say around 10000
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpamayo View Post
    I would say around 10000
    Each with an individual name?

I'm gonna push the boat out here, but I reckon it's significantly less than that.

I reckon somewhere between 1000-1500 Mavericks, with a fair few Klein Palominos and a handful of Seven Duo's have been built. But then I may be totally wrong!

JWB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Will frame numbers give a clue? I would expect the numbering on frames to be in order, so who has the highest frame number?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Will frame numbers give a clue? I would expect the numbering on frames to be in order, so who has the highest frame number?
    There are no frame numbers

That's what the individual frame names were all about!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My ML7.5 frame has a number of 501496. That might mean I have the 1,496th one made. One of my ML8s has a number of 55,xxx. That might mean there were over 5000 of them made but that seems like a lot. The number is inscribed on the frame where the mono link connects. In the past when I was talking with Chris from Maverick he said there is a data base with the number, date, and name. All frames did not get a name or head badge. I have one of those. I have seen a head badge with a name and no date.

JWB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geweber View Post
    . The number is inscribed on the frame where the mono link connects.
    I thought so. You can not see it with the bike assembled but have to take out the mono link.

mtbr member
    I would assume that if they ran the shop with about 5 people (anybody knows?), they needed to make close to $2M is sales every year to keep everything going (@ 30% margin that's $600k in for paying the bills, salaries, marketing and R&D).

Assuming 80% of their revenue came from bike sales ($1.5M), at an average selling price of $3000 (dealer price), that would 500 bikes per year.

Assuming they had a good 5 years run (2005 to 2010?), that's 2500 bikes...

That's probably how many Specialized sells in a week ;-)

Denis

mtbr member
    i figured a similar number, but 5 frames a week on average across 10 years (2001 until 2011). obviously they would have been selling more in the early 'naughties', less later on.

there was the speedball licencing (?) deal that probably brought in a wad of cash, and the chance that they perhaps sold more forks than frames - both of these would skew the calculation.

i also wonder what the breakdown is across the different models over the years!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Denis,

Here is your old Niner Rip:

140mm+ full suspension AM 29er - what's out there?

Thanks to you I found out about Maverick.

It is a very plush ride with the full 6 inches of travel on the front and a new RP23 shock with longer stroke to give 6 inches of travel on the back.

Jerry

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Seven would probably pony up the numbers if you asked, Klein's are probably public record somewhere in the Trek archives, and I would imagine that one of the Prop.'s at Maverick would provide at least a rough figure (it had to be as much of "a labor of love" as anything else!), and the whole works might be available from Mav via licensing figures as well.

It would be fun to know- what great designs they are/were.

(BTW- mine's a Seven; Titanium backbone and Maverick legs.)

Scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi

Although individually named the rear triangle has a serial no: on ebay at the moment there is a new 2011 Durance, the serial number on the box in the picture s

200 0091

My 2011 durance starts 500 xxxx

Any ideas 200 series , 500 series whats the format of earlier rear triangle numbers, my first ML7 had a hand engraved number, can't remember its format or length.

Are rear triangle serial numbers the way to find an answer to the Question?

Kaj
    mtbr member
    my best guess is somewhere above 5,000 but under 10,000. I think we were the largest Mav dealer for a couple years, and we sold about 500 total.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com