mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Listen! Help for Maverick

Hello everyone!! As you can see I am new here. I am a machinist/fabricator and have helped out a friend of mine with a few things for his Maverick.

I would like to start riding here soon but I thought I would start learning some things first.

How this all got started?

My friend knows that I can build just about anything and has been bugging me to make him a mounting bar for the top of his truck so he can mount his bike on it with out spending a bunch of money. I did a little research and found out that once you buy the brackets to mount on your vehicle there are a lot of other little things you would need to buy just to now mount the bike on the mount? It seems that that you could tie up a lot of money just to get the bike on the truck?

The mount is a few hundred and the all the little pieces. Of course, not all bikes would fit due to the fact of different axle dia. so you would have to buy different applications for that. From what I gather you could easily spend another $300 plus after buying the mounting kit that goes on the vehicle?

So I made it easy and made a piece so that he could just mount the bike via the forks. You just pop off your front tire and mount the bike, I ended up making it hold two bikes so he and a another friend could go to a race in Colorado last month. Everyone that seen it, he said thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread!!

Anyway, he comes to me the other day and says I need a riser block that will fit on my triple trees so I can get more height. Instead of paying another few hundred for a new set of handle bars with more rise in them.

Can you make something that will do that?

I said umm probably. Why dont you just buy it from the company? He said I would have, but they dont make it?

He said he has been asking them for two years and they say they will get to it?

Then I say how much height do you need?

He said probably 3/4" of an inch?

So I grab a piece of scrap material and say here ya go, is that the height you are looking for?

He says, no that maybe too high. So I say how bout 5/8" he says lets try it? So I spend some time on it, then add some angle in it.

See, from talking to him he said that while riding in the postion that he is currently riding in, he thinks he has about 30+ or - lbs. on his hands, so that is why I added the pitch in the riser block to help get the weight off his hands/wrist.

He just called me this morning and said he rode lastnight and this morning and is in love with this new riser block design!!! I asked him, what do you think the weight shift, if any is now that you have height and pitch in the riser block? He said 5lbs. or less!!

As with most things friends seem to get friends envolved in the the things they like to do so they can do them together. And thats another thing that brings me here. I would like to learn a bit more about riding so that I can see if its something I want to do or not. As it would be a big investment for me if I were to get a bike like he has.

When I look at this bike it seems to be a very nice work of art, I mean the welds are oustanding!!! The ideas and options that are in this bike are amazing!! He has told me that a bike like he has new when he bought his was $8k!!! So as you can see and I am sure that you folks have the same kind of bikes if not more, it would be a large investment for me. I have plenty of hobbies and not completely sure I need another at this expense.

So I have a run down from my friend but would like to hear if you folks have any words of wisdom for me. Ask away and will try to stumble around and answer.

I look forward to hearing what you folks have for wisdom.

Thanks
    Wook

Schipperkes are cool.
    Kind of hard to understand, but I reads to me that you are wanting to make a DUC stem riser plate.
    Charlie @ http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/ has been selling them for about 5 years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well not really. I am just saying I made it. The other thing is the guy that made that spacer, made just that...a spacer. I put a pitch in mine so the whole head rolls back to the rider plus the height.

T.W.O.
    pic please

mtbr member
    Must be my english ... I do not understand
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

El Pollo Diablo
    Not your English Alpa, Wooky isn't being very clear
    (partially due to terminology omissions/errors)