mtbr member
    Feb 2012

New question here. Help On Buying My First Maverick Bike!

Hello, Ive been really wanting to get into mountain bike this past year but I have some minor set backs with a stolen bike. But now after dealing with insurance I ahve some money again and have been doing some research on Maverick Bikes in particular. Im not to sure if buying a Maverick at this point would be a good idea since the company is out of business but Ive heard that parts should still be available for a few years to come. The mountain bike I am looking at is on craigslist in the Portland area. The title is: "MAVERICK MATIC-Full Suspension Mountain Bike" I dont know to much about mountain bikes in general but this style of bike would fit me well with a XC base but can do it all bike (or so I here) He is asking for $1875 which I think is way over priced. If anyone could help me out and look at this bike to let me know if the components are decent and what a good price tag would be to offer him would be so much appreciated. Sorry for the lack of knowledge on the topic, I'm trying to learn and hope to pass my soon knowledge down to other individuals like myself in the future. Thanks again, cheers!

workin' it Administrator
    That is a actually a really good deal on that bike. According to the ad he hasn't really ridden it, it comes with the Maverick fork, which if you don't like it you could easily sell it to the Fat Bike crowd. It has nice components (Hadley Hub for example) and such.

First: The important thing is does a large fit you? Secondly: the front wheel is a 24mm through axle that is proprietary to Mavericks so if you are planning on using a fork mount rack at all you will have to get an adapter. If you are using a full bike mount then no worries. If you do decided to get rid of the fork you will also have to get a new front wheel.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    I don't think it is such a good deal, but it isn't a bad deal either. To me $1600 seems about right, my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the input! Can you buy one of the adaptors at REI or is it specific to the company Maverick? And I havent been able to try the bike out yet but Im 6' 2". Do you think a Maverick Large frame would fit me?

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorulien View Post
    Thanks for the input! Can you buy one of the adaptors at REI or is it specific to the company Maverick?
    Yakima Shop Bike Bike Accessories 24mm Fork Adapter

this is essentially what you will need or this:

Hurricane Components

or a bike rack tray like this:

Yakima Shop Bike Top HighRoller

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorulien View Post
    Thanks for the input! Can you buy one of the adaptors at REI or is it specific to the company Maverick? And I havent been able to try the bike out yet but Im 6' 2". Do you think a Maverick Large frame would fit me?
    24" top tube measurement would probably be fine.

MAVERICK - Products

geo chart:

http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_203.jpg

simple
    Really nice bike. $1875 is slightly high, definitely offer $1500 or so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cool thanks for the help and yea I think my price range is good at $1500, ill give it a shot and you guys know. Anyone ride around Oregon?