mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Good bye Maverick ...

Trying to get some spare parts for my Mav forks I received the following response from the bike shop:

"Maverick was recently sold to Spot Bicycles who has sent out a press release stating that they have decided to take a one year hiatus from producing the Maverick fork line and will not be bringing the forks back until sometime in late 2009 or 2010. As a result, we are unable to provide these items to you. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you."

This means they will not even provide spares anymore and will let all current owners down (!!!). Also, who can seriously believe in a relaunch somewhere 2010 ...

I love my Maverick bikes and I really hate what's going on here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    Trying to get some spare parts for my Mav forks I received the following response from the bike shop:

"Maverick was recently sold to Spot Bicycles who has sent out a press release stating that they have decided to take a one year hiatus from producing the Maverick fork line and will not be bringing the forks back until sometime in late 2009 or 2010. As a result, we are unable to provide these items to you. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you."

This means they will not even provide spares anymore and will let all current owners down (!!!). Also, who can seriously believe in a relaunch somewhere 2010 ...

I love my Maverick bikes and I really hate what's going on here.
    You might want to double check with Maverick directly. Call either Chris Russum or Ethan. I talked to them last week and they didn't give me any hint that anything like that was in the plan. On the contrary, Chris (Sales Director) and I talked about how he was trying to get the LBS more involved into the sales of small parts.

BUT, if you indeed confirm what you heard from your LBS directly from Maverick, let us know.

Denis

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I canīt believe this statement. Call maverick directly. They should have the most used spare parts in stock. All the o-rings you can order online in special tool shops.(I did this in a german online shop). The bushings are the same as inside the rear shock body of the frames. Stems and hubs you can see very often on ebay. What do you need ??

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I couldn't get in touch with them a week ago when I was trying to order parts.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    I couldn't get in touch with them a week ago when I was trying to order parts.
    They are trying to have people order parts from their LBS instead of Maverick directly (not very scalable from their perspective to take individual parts orders and they aer also trying to direct traffic and $'s to their dealers).

If your local LBS sucks or you don't have one, then try to go through bikeparts.com which is the online part source recommended by Maverick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    They are trying to have people order parts from their LBS instead of Maverick directly (not very scalable from their perspective to take individual parts orders and they aer also trying to direct traffic and $'s to their dealers).

If your local LBS sucks or you don't have one, then try to go through bikeparts.com which is the online part source recommended by Maverick.
    My wife is from Golden, CO and I have done various purchases with Peak Cycles. My experience wasn't great - bad service, mixing up orders and high prices. Also, Peak Cycles has hardly anything available anymore (you can also check the Webpage bikeparts.com). Since I got fed up with Peak Cycles I go directly to Boulder if I am in Colorado. MAverick directly is not available as well, like some of you stated already.

My information quoted above is from Speedgoat, where I occasionally buy 29er and SS stuff and added the Maverick stuff to a larger order.

I tried to get some spare O-rings and a 29er conversion kit. I will buy the rings in a hardware store and obiously skip the 29er conversion.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis

Ok gotcha. I ended up ordering quite a few things from Scot @ Absolute Bikes. Phenomenal customer service. Spent over an hour on the phone chatting with me about Mavericks' history, shock & DUC32 settings, various bike tuning tips, and just generally "talking bikes".

-Josh
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My wife is from Golden, CO and I have done various purchases with Peak Cycles. My experience wasn't great - bad service, mixing up orders and high prices. Also, Peak Cycles has hardly anything available anymore (you can also check the Webpage bikeparts.com). Since I got fed up with Peak Cycles I go directly to Boulder if I am in Colorado. MAverick directly is not available as well, like some of you stated already.

My information quoted above is from Speedgoat, where I occasionally buy 29er and SS stuff and added the Maverick stuff to a larger order.

I tried to get some spare O-rings and a 29er conversion kit. I will buy the rings in a hardware store and obiously skip the 29er conversion.
    You post that a lot eh It must have been pretty bad.

Anyway you might want to look around for 29er kit. People might have them laying around. My DUC32 was a 29er and I turned it back to 26er. I might even have the spacers still, but honestly I have no earthly idea where the would be at now.

simple

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've had bad experiences with plenty of shops around Colorado but I've learned that an informed buyer makes walking into a shop a much easier experience. Using these MTBR forums can help make you an extremely informed buyer in most cases.

Just last week Maverick re-stocked Peak Cycles with spare parts. Wiper seals, fork bits, front derailleur linkages, etc. If you know what you need just stop by and get what you need. Hopefully this helps you out. Thanks, Colin (Bikeparts.com rider)
    Last edited by 69erSycip; 09-22-2008 at 12:02 PM.

pdh
    mtbr member
    Bikeparts.com - Peak Cycles.... Really surprised by your comment on those guys. My experience has been completely the opposite. They have always been friendly and very helpful to me. I wouldn't call them "expensive" either. Not sure about the integrity of your post honestly.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh
    Bikeparts.com - Peak Cycles.... Really surprised by your comment on those guys. My experience has been completely the opposite. They have always been friendly and very helpful to me. I wouldn't call them "expensive" either. Not sure about the integrity of your post honestly.
    Funny ...

This is a Forum and everybody should be entitled to his opinion. I am not related at all to Peak Cycles and have no personal interests - considering how defensive some of you get when talking about this shop I guess this is not the case with all of us in this thread.

Here some more details on my experiences with Peak Cycles.

2 "walk in the shop" orders not working out (1x they forgot it, 1x they gave me wrong parts - I did not check before getting home so I had again to drive out to the shop)

1 "walk in the shop" 15 min. before shop closing time. I was told that they want to go biking and that I am too late to post an order (Maverick stem). Instead of, they recommended that I should use the online shop ...

This spring my wifes Palomino had problems with the front dereilleur (she lost the fixing bolt). I called Peak Cycles to see if they have time to fix the bike immediately so that we can continue biking. Also, I was shopping for a race red durance and they told me that they have one in stock. 1h later I went to the store to get the problem fixed (max 30min. work to remove the crank & replace the bolt) and to buy a new race red Maverick Durance for myself during the time the Palomino is getting fixed. The guys at Peak Cycle told me that this is not possible because they first have to finish the Team Bike they are working on (!!!), I should come back tomorrow.

Needless to say that I did not go back and also did not buy the bike. Instead of, I went to Golden Bikeshop who got the job done within 15min. ...

Getting back to the original motivation for this post. Obviously some spare parts for Maverick forks are back in stock: I was able to order the spare parts I need & I will keep hoping for better "maverick" times ...

simple
    I'm not going to really respond to everything in your post hellocook but I just want to point a few things out.

EVERYONE who needs to order something from the Peak Cycles shop is directed to the bikeparts.com website. This includes the team members as well! It is a convenience for both the customer and the employees. The customer can easily access detailed items and their descriptions as well as quickly pay for the item. If paid as a will-call, the part is OVERNIGHTED to the shop with no additional cost to the customer. Very expensive service but if everyone uses it it keeps costs down.

I use the website all the time. I can quickly order parts, the shop keeps a tight inventory, and my stuff is in a pile with my name on it within a day or two. I can't tell you how many times I have walked into other shops and asked for a part to be ordered and had to wait weeks for it to show up! Most shops wait until they have enough orders to justify the time spent to make the order. It sucked!

Now I can't say that you should or shouldn't be frustrated that you couldn't get your Palomino worked on. I wasn't there. The one thing I picked up from your post is that you didn't say Peak agreed to work on the bike if you stopped by, which is a critical point. I do know that walk ins should be treated on a case by case basis. Sometimes shops have time to quickly help and sometimes you have to leave your bike there, fill out the form, and come back when it is done. Considering that you were looking to have a crankarm removed to fix the Palomino I'm not surprised they didn't have time to work on it on the spot.

Again, I don't work for the Peak but I will stand up for them. They have made my entire cycling experience much much easier and I thank them for it.

Many MTBR members go through Mtnhighcyclery.com. Larry is the man and has hooked up thousands of people...but...if you expected instant service, normal business hours, or a full time mechanic you would not get it. Once you learn how his system works you work WITH it and you'll mutually get what you need. The same goes for Peak Cycles. It isn't your normal bike shop, so once you learn their system everything works out well. Patience and understanding....ohmmmmm

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    The one thing I picked up from your post is that you didn't say Peak agreed to work on the bike if you stopped by, which is a critical point. I do know that walk ins should be treated on a case by case basis.
    Why should I have walked in after calling upfront if they didn't agree on fixing the bike?

Yes, they told me to bring in the bike, knowing that I need to have it fixed immediately. And yes, the team bike they have been working on has been the mechanics or of the employees bike (yes, in addition to the mechanic there have been 2 other guys sitting around). And yes, removing a crank arm takes minutes - if you have the right tools available (it was a M970 crank).

I understand from your post that you are a peak cycles team racer as well. Please, no more replies from shop related guys here. This shop did not perform 5 out of 5 times. Just accept it!

A professional business that cares about its customers would try to understand what went wrong and fix the problems. You guys keep telling me that Peak Cycles low performance and missing service culture is my problem. But no, I have no problem because there are plenty great places available like Golden Bikeshop where I will enjoy spending my money!

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Things from Maverick have been awfully quiet, any new news from anyone?
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    Things from Maverick have been awfully quiet, any new news from anyone?
    means everyone's product are either working perfectly, or less people riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    My stuff's still workin great!

Thanks for the email! I will be ordering some more parts for my other DUC shortly!
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

Pertinent info:

Ethan posted an update:

To All Mavericks...:

Hello to all Maverick owners, future owners, past owners, want to owners and all folks...

We (and I) are alive and well. It has been while since I have posted and replied to the forum. As a lot of you know Maverick is under new ownership. I would like to dispell the notion that we were purchased by and are owned by Spot Brand. We are not.
    Maverick has been purchased by two long time veterans of the bike industry and a silent inverstor or two. Chris and Mike are the pricipal owners and workers of (at) Maverick American LLC. There was some misleading information in the inital stages of the purchase that had lead to the "Spot bought Maverick" notion. We are under the same roof and sharing expenses for such things as utilities, rent and other office related things, going green! There are some long time Maverick "family" members at Spot, so the two brands under one roof just made sense. Spot is a great small in-house custom frame builder, with no competing products from Maverick. They are pioneering the Gates belt driven bicycles.

We been working diligently to reestablish Maverick dealers, current and potential.
    We have also been fairly quiet in general as we get a full grip on all that is Maverick from the past. I am the only former Boulder, Colorado Maverick to make the transition. All other former employee's are gainfully employed and even self-employeed, more on this later. So a lot of information to be learned and passed on.

I have been taking many emails and calls to get dealers and consumers taken care of for parts and service. We have made a big push to use our dealers to a much larger extent. It is the dealers job to take care of a customer, whether they need something large or small. It will only benefit both parties if the dealer takes care of the customers needs. If a Maverick dealers is not responding as well as you would like, please call us or send us an e-mail.

On that note, I am happy to help anyone with technical/tuning information. We are a small group doing a lot of work to support the product, so sending an e-mail to me is much easier for me to respond to than the phone, but phoning in is fine too! ethan@maverickbike.com
    We ask that if parts are needed, that you contact your local dealer first. If they do not have it in stock, ask them to special order your parts from us. Using the dealer to order parts will encourage them to have more parts on-hand to better service customers. Doing all of this allows us to run more effeciently, provide better service and work on new and exciting goodies!

New goodies: DUC36 Carbon-
    We are working our heads off on the new Carbon DUC36 platform.
    At this point, it is our goal to introduce this to the market in late 09'. We have a lot of work to do but so far it looks awesome. We have about 5 forks running now with different internals. The upper carbon structure is proving to be far better than even anticipated.
    At approximately 4.5 to 4.7 pounds and around 155 to 170mm travel its performace is unparalled. Non scientific (more to be done) testing is showing it to be as stiff as a FOX40, quite stiff to say the least at 4.6 pounds! We are still contemplating the final internals of the fork, stay tuned!

Old Goodies: DUC32 alloy-
    It is true, the DUC32 is out of production for the time being. There are many issues for this and to much to explain. We had all good intentions to bringing in the new carbon version before running out of the alloy, but stuff happens, like all of the DUC32's sold fast this year! We are sourcing a possible alloy replacement and a (you didn't hear it here) a
    DUC32 Carbon version. How cool would a 3lb-ish 120-140mm travel fork that would be 10 time stiffer and more travel than a SID be? shhssss, I didn't say it!
    DUC32 parts are still availble, like wiper seals, o-rings... call your dealer.
    SC32 forks are in stock and ready to ship, especially 29er versions.

Frames: Durance & ML8
    Both are availble for 09'. Both are instock and ready to ship, not something we have been able to do in the past. Delivery will be a big focus for us this new year and looking excellent right now.
    Durance, stays pretty much the same for 09' but with some new colors coming in late March early April. All will have our newest damper, 140mm travel, hydro-top out, less parts and total range of rebound...
    ML8's also have this new damper, with 165mm travel and our classic hard anodized finish, still the coolest finish out there.

Speedball: (Joplin)
    Business purchases' are funny. The Speedball is a Maverick branded product, but due to the sale and purchase of Maverick the "new" Maverick did not purchase the assets to the Speedball. We are happy to help if we can on service or repair. We do not have stock of parts or specailized tools to work on them.
    Contact a former Maverick employee, Luby, at his new suspension repair shop.
    *Dirt Labs 303.324.2172 or luby@dirtlabs.com for Speedball questions, fixing and warranty.
    All Crankbrothers Joplin posts, contact Crankbrothers direct.

Maverick Service:
    We have a few authorized service centers around the country that can provide quick professional work on all Maverick products.
    West: Garage Supension Works
    Rockies: Dirt Labs
    East: MTB Suspension Experts
    Also, all our dealers can provide expert service/sales...
    If your in need of more local help, contact us and we can direct you to other places.

Klein Palominos:
    We have our Palomino upgrade MonoLink kits available. 7.2 rear shocks are currently out of stock, check with us or the dealer for stock. Parts for 7.2s are available.

The Future:
    Over the next months we will be updating our web site. It has great information to get your taste buds watering. E-mail us if you need more specifics and see your local dealer for help and a test ride.
    Again, dealers will be the key to sucess for Maverick and all of its customers, so contact them for all your needs.

We will be taking it a litlle slower than the past. We are a small company putting out the best products in the marketplace. Our goal is to provide inovative bike frames and suspenion and the best customer service we can. So going a bit slower is better and more suiting for us. We have proven frame and suspension platforms and will continue to use them and update as necesary. We do not need to do the "new and improved" all the time as we're already ahead of the curve.

I hope that some of this informtion will set some things straight and give a hint of our devotion to customer service, our proven designs and exciting new designs. Our new ownership is the best thing to happen to Maverick, in my opinion. The mind set of owner/operators gives a company a different perspctive. As well, as the owners coming from a top 100 national bike dealer, they have a unique insight to both the dealers perspective and the consumers needs, very rare. We have lots of cool things on the drawing board and the future is very bright. Stay tuned.

A quick shout to "Banks", he has been of great help to Maverick and it's customers on this forum, check Scotty out at Absolutebikes.com. He will continue to answer forum questions...

Spread the good Maverick word, we are here to stay! Now go ride-

Thanks, Ethan~
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    GREAT NEWS! Thanks

Biker Beau
    You are The Man Ethan! Congrats on making the move, Spot and their owners are great folks, what a wonderful group to throw in with.

Thank you for the post. I'm still running both the Duc32(29er) on my Niner Rip and the 4" Duc32 on my 69er. The 69er's still rebounding waaaay to quickly for my tastes but I've been trying to find time to head down to Absolute as they are just great and are rabid Maverick supporters.

Cheers,

Allen
    Disclaimer: I work @Angletech Cycles/CycleDifferent www.cycledifferent.com******www.medwheel.org

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytandem
    I've been trying to find time to head down to Absolute as they are just great and are rabid Maverick supporters.

Cheers,

Allen
    That'd be me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Biker Beau
    Howdy. I live in the Springs but will be headed out to your neck of the woods soon. I'm on the BVBF committee and have a bit of work to do for next years event in May.

Would love to bring both my bikes out and have all the Mav goodness tweaked out of them (or into!) by the shop that steered me that direction in the first place.

I'll PM you w/my details.

Thanks,

Allen
    Disclaimer: I work @Angletech Cycles/CycleDifferent www.cycledifferent.com******www.medwheel.org

Members who have read this thread: 0